♡ daisy's blog: the life of an access student Watch

daintydaisy
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 weeks ago

♡ daisy's blog: the life of an access student ♡

Hi everyone!! I really wanted to make a blog to organise my life throughout my access course (and also for reflection).
I only have 5 months left of my course but it's probs gonna be intense AF so it'll be nice to look back once it's all over ~~

I'm an aspiring primary teacher and have decided to study an HNC after my access course so I can build up work experience before applying to uni, I originally wanted to study psychology and then go back to do a PDGE but I really dislike psych lol

I'm aiming for an AAA grade (the highest) at the end of my course, and at least a B in my maths exam. I hope this helps to motivate some of you who want to get back into education but feel like they've left it too late - you're never too old to pursue your dreams! ♡

also it's probably worth noting I'm studying in Scotland at the minute so qualifications will be Scottish etc etc.. c: also my courses aren't graded it's just a pass or fail and we get graded overall at the end of our course (so for example AAA is the highest grade available, then AAB, ABB etc.).

♡ my subjects
Spoiler:
Show

- psychology (higher)
- sociology (higher)
- maths (nat 5)
- comms and lit (nat 5)
- history (higher)
- IT (higher)

subjects completed:

- human body (nat 5)
- child development (higher)

♡ future goals

Spoiler:
Show

- complete access course with AAA grades
- achieve at least a B in maths exam
- continue onto HNC Social Sciences in oct 2020
- apply to uni for 2021/22 to study BA in Primary Ed

♡ about me
Spoiler:
Show

- I'm 24 years old (25 in may.. cri)
- I live in Scotland although I'm originally from Newcastle
- I love cooking and watching cooking shows

- I'm a little obsessed with games, mainly Animal Crossing at the min (hurry up march 20th !!!!!)
- I'm really interested in politics
- I'm trying to get back into reading and at the moment I'm reading Becoming by Michelle Obama ( I literally LOVE her )
- my favourite colour is lilac ♡
- my favourite animals are cats
- I also work part-time as well as college (around 30 hrs a week)

I'm hoping to update this possibly weekly or every other day depending on my schedule, but those of you that want to join me for a chat on my journey are more than welcome. feel free to ask any questions as well ♡

Last edited by daintydaisy; 1 week ago
daintydaisy
Rep:
?
♡ entry 1 - another day another assessment

To begin I should probably summarise everything that's happened since I began in September, and maybe why it took me until I was 24 before realising I wanted to have a shot at re-educating myself!

So I went through a lot as a child/teenager which affected the grades of my GCSE's - I came out with 5 GCSE's in total ranging from C-A, which isn't bad when put into context of the situation. I was pretty scarred from school for numerous reasons which left me with a pure hatred for education, so considering Sixth form just wasn't an option for me. I pursued a career in hairdressing and studied that for 3 years in an apprenticeship, and was fully qualified for a year and a half before leaving. I then moved up to Scotland and went into hospitality for a while and eventually plucked up enough courage to apply to college at the beginning of 2019 (best thing I've ever done). I'm still working part time in hospitality now and just find that being at college gives me a sense of purpose again, and I have such a good support system around me that it almost feels like a break in itself. oh I should also mention that I've been offered places on both the Childhood Practice and Social Sciences HNC's next year, but I'm leaning more toward Social Sciences as it has more variety (one of the modules is politics as well which I'd really like to study), but the decision doesn't have to be given until August at latest.

I've fallen completely in love with education again and I think a lot of people around me have noticed that.

Anyway! I began college in September and the workload started to pile in, I've lost track of the amount of assessments I've done and can still remember doing a presentation infront of the whole class in one of my first weeks, where I totally froze and forgot my words lol. all part of the learning process tho!! I've had 2 NAB assessments in maths, both with an A grade, have completely finished my child development course (just got my assessment back today and there was no remediation), passed my human body course (76% in the exam which isn't great but I'm happy because it was honestly one of the main topics I struggled with), and have had numerous other assessments throughout which have been graded quite highly as well.

Today in Comms class we were doing a reading assessment, just summarising, analysing and evaluating so I managed to get most of that done, but haven't completed it yet so will go over it again once we're back. (the college is closed next week for a staff training thing)

We start our IT class in February sometime which I'm really looking forward to bcos I've always enjoyed IT.

pre-lim for maths is March 19th and our exam is in May.
I've also enquired to both Stirling and Queen Margaret uni about which HNC they would prefer for BA Primary Ed and there is no preference, although Stirling do require a grade B in nat 5 maths and B in Higher English. Will need to speak to my form tutor about taking on an extra higher in my course next year!

Overall I've really enjoyed the course so far and my teachers are all massive inspirations to me, it was really hard adjusting to the routine of college after being out of education for so long but now I'm there I really don't want to leave lol. Very summarised explanation of everything but over the coming weeks I'll be sure to elaborate more on my subjects etc ~

♡ music I've been enjoying
Spoiler:
Show

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xHRS4AmtmnU - [Any Other Name] - just watched American beauty for the first time last night and I LOVE this piece*
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B4c_SkROzzo [Break My Stride] - tiktok has me obsessed with this fml
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DrQRS40OKNE [White Winter Hymnal] - an old classic I rediscovered the other day
Last edited by daintydaisy; 3 weeks ago
daintydaisy
Rep:
?
♡ entry two - simultaneous equations and exams

I always find Thursdays quite draining. Just because our Tuesday and Wednesday classes are half days until we begin IT in feb, it's such a jump going from finishing at 12 to 4pm! Thursday we have a 3 hour math lesson and then psych 1-4pm. I spoke to my form tutor today about the email I received from Stirling Uni regarding their requirements for a higher in English and she's forwarded my email onto someone that will be able to confirm/deny whether I'll need it. She told me that studying a higher along side my HNC will be too much work so I'm really hoping I don't have to do it. In the email it sounds like they're assuming I'm doing an access course OR an HNC so I'm hoping I've just misinterpreted it, as other people on my course have applied for primary ed without the higher. Should hear back tomorrow or next week hopefully!

♡ maths

We learned Transposition today and finished off simultaneous equations. I remember beginning a new topic last time after finishing my NAB and felt really out of my depth, which is happening again. I scored 100% in my last test so I can only hope I'll become as familiar with the topics we're learning at the moment, but it just seems to keep becoming more complex haha. We have a confirmed date for our maths exam now which is May 12th, 5 days before my birthday! I'm going to take that weekend off to celebrate I think, if all goes well for the exam. Our college is closed next week but our math tutor is coming in for 2 days to tutor us for 6 hours in total (she's a babe), we'll just be going over revision and anything else we're unsure of. Then finishing off our remaining topics and preparing for our prelim in Feb!

I spoke to her today and asked her about the percentage rate for grades and told her I need at least a B, according to her it's between 60-70% for a C or a B and then over 70% for an A, so I'm feeling pretty optimistic about it at the moment. She also said she 'thinks I'll be fine' so if I put the work in then hopefully it'll show in my results!

We did some practice exam questions today as well - it's annoying because when I look at the question I'm stumped and as soon as she starts explaining it I kick myself for not knowing it sooner because its common sense! I skimmed through some SQA papers earlier and think I'm capable of around 80% of it (we haven't finished some topics yet so obviously not including those) but I really need to knuckle down and crack on with some revision, especially for the non-calculator because I have nooooo idea how to do long division and my mental arithmetic isn't the greatest!

♡ psychology

This is literally my least favourite subject, if I only had 2 hours left to live id go to this class bcos it would feel like 2 years

We spent most of this class discussing different research methods (observation, lab experiment, field experiment) and the other half was taking part in some memory tests for the HNC class, which broke up the time quite well tbh! I have a shocking memory but I'm really competitive so I'd be interested to get the results back. I also find it interesting hearing about how our short term/long term memory processes information and how long it stores it for etc etc,

♡ other stuffs

- ordered some new notepads, 3 x A4. I kind of broke my old notepad and I hate not having things neat/organised lol

- ordered some new study books "how to write better essays" and "the study skills handbook", I've seen a lot of pictures of these floating around on insta and thought they could be useful for future work

- some ring binder things?? idk what they're called, but basically I got them so when I'm making flash cards for maths revision I can hole punch them and keep them together with a metal ring thing so they're all organised and easy to flip through

- almost halfway through Michelle Obama's book. she inspires me so much, like everytime I read it I sit there thinking god I need to do more with my life lol I love her :rolleyes:

~ hope you've all had an amazing week, I have maths and sociology tomorrow then will be at work from 6pm so may not update. college is also closed next week so unless Im feeling needy there probably won't be any new posts until I'm back ~
Labrador99
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Just wanted to post to say I've been enjoying reading along so far Hope you have a good weekend
daintydaisy
Rep:
?
(Original post by Labrador99)
Just wanted to post to say I've been enjoying reading along so far Hope you have a good weekend
Aw that’s really nice to hear!!

Thank you so much! I hope you do too, are you up to much? I’m working 12-close today and tomorrow so unfortunately mine isn’t too exciting haha
Labrador99
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by daintydaisy)
Aw that’s really nice to hear!!

Thank you so much! I hope you do too, are you up to much? I’m working 12-close today and tomorrow so unfortunately mine isn’t too exciting haha

Didn't do anything too interesting/exciting, but went to the beach with the dog, which he enjoyed
daintydaisy
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
♡ entry three - struggles

Hello!
It's been a while?! I was planning on writing this at the end of the week, but I'm working all weekend so thought I'd post something now before I end up forgetting haha.
I was off last week as our teachers were all training, although went in on Tuesday and Thursday for maths revision/help. I started my medication for roaccutane last Monday and the side effects are in full force at the minute, I'm starting to get a cold and I'm struggling to concentrate, so as much as I wanted to do maths work at home I just couldn't focus. Not a productive week at all but I think I needed it to rest and recuperate. I'm hoping once my body gets used to the meds I'm able to concentrate because at the minute I feel like I can't even write haha. We also started our new timetable, not much has changed apart from our history class has swapped rooms and we're now doing IT on a Tuesday instead of Human Body. IT was alright, it was a very introductory lesson where we wrote a little about ourselves for our tutor, and used the app What3Words, we're going to be going over stuff like Robotics and AI/VR which I'm really looking forward to!

I also heard back from Stirling Uni regarding my qualifications and whether I need Higher English or not, my SWAP course qualification is enough for entry into Stirling so all I have to do is achieve a B in maths and pass the SWAP course with BBB - although I'm trying to aim for A's in both! I also received an email confirming my place for Social Sciences at HNC level next year!

In other news - we're in February now! yay! That means I'm a month closer to Animal Crossing haha. A themed switch was announced the other day, and although I've had my Switch for around 3 years I'm definitely tempted to trade it in for the new one. The accessories are super cute as well. Hopefully I can save enough before march to afford one!

♡ maths

As I mentioned before we had last week off apart from revision sessions for maths - I went to both sessions which were 3 hours each although in both sessions I don't feel like I did my best, mainly due to my lack of concentration. I think I've finally cracked long division, and I've been making some flashcards at home to help me when it comes to practice papers, but I really do need to revisit some topics and go over them until I'm confident. My maths tutor is amazing and really helpful and sat down with me for a good 15 minutes and went over everything I was unsure of, and gave me some really helpful tips so I feel like my main enemy is myself at the moment, the whole time I was doing the practice paper I was thinking 'oh no - this isn't right' and actually, more of it was right than I thought. I think I just need to trust my gut! (and study. lots of studying.)

history

I really really love history! My tutor is amazing and so knowledgable - I could listen to her for hours. We're currently learning about immigration and our topic this week was surrounding Italian and jewish immigrants to Scotland. I have my first assessment of the year for history which is analysing the contribution that immigrants made to Scotland. I started my essay this afternoon but I'm really not liking how it sounds so I'll probably just use it to take notes from, the assignment has to be around 600 words in total and I find it really easy to overwrite lol. It's not due in until Wednesday 12th anyways so I have enough time to write it, and I'll probably spend most of the day on Monday fine tuning it until I'm happy.

♡ comms + lit

Finished my reading assessment today, I've honestly lost track of how many assessments I've done for this class lol. We have one more reading assessment to finish next week, then after that I think we're doing some VR which is meant to simulate dementia? I get really bad motion sickness from stuff like this so don't think I'll be able to take part which is a bit sad ;w;
We're then doing a literature assessment, and then I'm not sure what we have left after that. I know we have a presentation to do about Educating Rita, I'm a little nervous because I hate public speaking but I guess the only way to grow confidence is to do it! PMA (positive mental attitude)

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

More maths and psychology/sociology tomorrow and Friday. I'm really enjoying our sociology assignment at the minute, writing about a social issue and using contrasting sociological theorists to explain it - I chose homelessness as my topic and the statistics are shocking if I'm honest. I'm really looking forward to studying Politics at HNC level at the end of this year/next year.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

People at uni: do initiations (like heavy drinking) put you off joining sports societies?

Yes (195)
67.71%
No (93)
32.29%

Watched Threads