Applying for part time Student Finance England

Watch
Mattick
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 9 months ago
Hi all,

just looking for some helpful information. I've been studying for an IT degree part-time for almost 2 years now with the Open University, I'll be finishing my current module and stage 1 within the next few months. Up to this point, I've been self-funding or using OUSBA loans to pay for my course fees.

In stage 2, I'll be starting 2 simultaneous running courses in October 2020, I've decided to apply for student finance to help fund this. I tried applying to Student finance England (SFE) before for a module that started October 2019 but couldn't proceed with the application as I was too late to proceed any further.

Trying to avoid this mistake again, I went of SFE website today to find the date for ‘part time student’ applications for 2020. Failing to find this, I contacted SFE via phone. I was informed that there is no set date yet for part-time students, just that it might be in June, as this was the date for 2019.

My question is, did anyone else apply to STE in 2019 for a part-time study loan? If so, where you successful in your application? I really don’t to use OUSBA loans again, £500+ per-month will cripple me financially.
artful_lounger
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
(Original post by Mattick)
Hi all,

just looking for some helpful information. I've been studying for an IT degree part-time for almost 2 years now with the Open University, I'll be finishing my current module and stage 1 within the next few months. Up to this point, I've been self-funding or using OUSBA loans to pay for my course fees.

In stage 2, I'll be starting 2 simultaneous running courses in October 2020, I've decided to apply for student finance to help fund this. I tried applying to Student finance England (SFE) before for a module that started October 2019 but couldn't proceed with the application as I was too late to proceed any further.

Trying to avoid this mistake again, I went of SFE website today to find the date for ‘part time student’ applications for 2020. Failing to find this, I contacted SFE via phone. I was informed that there is no set date yet for part-time students, just that it might be in June, as this was the date for 2019.

My question is, did anyone else apply to STE in 2019 for a part-time study loan? If so, where you successful in your application? I really don’t to use OUSBA loans again, £500+ per-month will cripple me financially.
Your degree is a part-time STEM degree, so even if you have prior study you should be eligible for SFE funding. All you need to do is submit the application and any/all documentation they require. Just check in with SFE later in the year to find out when funding opens; unfortunately for part-time courses the date does vary and is later than for full time courses though so you do need to keep an eye on it. You can even do it a bit late, it just means your tuition fee payments will be delayed - the OU can wait for these for a few weeks after the start of the module(s) but if takes longer they'll require you to pay for the module the normal way, but will issue a refund if SFE funding comes through after the fact.
Mordy
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
Hi all,

Hi Mattick,

If you plan to study full time in October you still need to apply for a part-time tuition fee loan.

To ensure the part-time version of the loan will cover full time costs then tick the option that states ‘apply for the maximum amount available’, plus tick the option that states it give permission for the university to raise or lower the amount of the loan’. This will ensure it covers the cost of both modules.

If you are starting in October then the loan you will need us for the 20/21 academic year and (in usual times) they will be available in June probably.

Hope this helps

Iain
BenMohammad1985
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
Hi all,

Mattick i was looking at the OU for a degree in computing and find info on how i could cost it but ousba is very vague and seeing you're paying 500 a month which is very steep i wouldn't be able to do that. What are my options with your experience now you've already finished stage 1. What sort of time frame are you on? What optional modules are you choosing? Was you successful in getting the loan will that cover full time- how many hours a week give or take do you apply to the degree.

All the best
I'm sure you'll be very tech savvy furthering your education in this way.

Ben
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should there be a new university admissions system that ditches predicted grades?

No, I think predicted grades should still be used to make offers (599)
33.88%
Yes, I like the idea of applying to uni after I received my grades (PQA) (738)
41.74%
Yes, I like the idea of receiving offers only after I receive my grades (PQO) (352)
19.91%
I think there is a better option than the ones suggested (let us know in the thread!) (79)
4.47%

Watched Threads