princetonalec
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
So my dissertation (technically) starts on Monday and i'm dropping enough bricks to build a three story house.
What do you guys who have done undergrad dissertations suggest, wish you'd known, or swear on avoiding?
Ketsu
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by princetonalec)
So my dissertation (technically) starts on Monday and i'm dropping enough bricks to build a three story house.
What do you guys who have done undergrad dissertations suggest, wish you'd known, or swear on avoiding?
I'd say start doing your research early.. At least get a background understanding in your 'free time' or break, get some research papers ready to go through so you can use them later.
In what subject are you writing your dissertation?
PhoenixFortune
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Set a schedule for when certain tasks (e.g. writing of the lit review, gathering of data etc.) should be completed by, and try your best to stick to it. Also, make sure you use your supervisor effectively - so many people avoid or ignore the supervisor, when they can be your biggest asset. Ask for regular meetings, discuss each others' expectations of the dissertation work, and don't be afraid to ask for feedback.
zetamcfc
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Write things regularly. It makes everything so much better if you are just adding things to your dissertation as you go along and don't end up having to write it all in a short period of time.
princetonalec
Rep:
?
(Original post by Ketsu)
I'd say start doing your research early.. At least get a background understanding in your 'free time' or break, get some research papers ready to go through so you can use them later.
In what subject are you writing your dissertation?
I'm doing my diss on religion and the arts, specifically contemporary artists use of the Pietà pose from Mikeys statues.
princetonalec
Rep:
?
(Original post by zetamcfc)
Write things regularly. It makes everything so much better if you are just adding things to your dissertation as you go along and don't end up having to write it all in a short period of time.
I was thinking of basically doing my chapters in chunks. Do you think this comes down to personal preference, or do you think its really important to write a little bit every day?
gjd800
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
I was thinking of basically doing my chapters in chunks. Do you think this comes down to personal preference, or do you think its really important to write a little bit every day?
Anyone that has written a serious amount will say a bit a day is better.

Set realistic goals, keep them relatively small. Stick to them, watch it build.
princetonalec
Rep:
?
(Original post by gjd800)
Anyone that has written a serious amount will say a bit a day is better.

Set realistic goals, keep them relatively small. Stick to them, watch it build.
Luckily my dissertation really isn't long at all (its 8k words, and I can write a 2k assignment in one sitting already to get an easy 70%) but i'll do my best to at least try writing a little each day - to avoid burnout if nothing else.
Thank you for the advice!
gjd800
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Luckily my dissertation really isn't long at all (its 8k words, and I can write a 2k assignment in one sitting already to get an easy 70%) but i'll do my best to at least try writing a little each day - to avoid burnout if nothing else.
Thank you for the advice!
Yeah, I can bang out 2000 words in a couple of hours too. I don't think it matters much at undergrad unless you are one of these people that struggles to get words down. You seem like you have a handle, you'll be fine
princetonalec
Rep:
?
(Original post by gjd800)
Yeah, I can bang out 2000 words in a couple of hours too. I don't think it matters much at undergrad unless you are one of these people that struggles to get words down. You seem like you have a handle, you'll be fine
Thank you!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Sheffield Hallam University
    Get into Teaching in South Yorkshire Undergraduate
    Wed, 26 Feb '20
  • The University of Law
    Solicitor Series: Assessing Trainee Skills – LPC, GDL and MA Law - London Moorgate campus Postgraduate
    Wed, 26 Feb '20
  • University of East Anglia
    PGCE Open day Postgraduate
    Sat, 29 Feb '20

People at uni: do initiations (like heavy drinking) put you off joining sports societies?

Yes (470)
66.67%
No (235)
33.33%

Watched Threads