Failed to register for returning undergrad accomodation

Watch
thegodofspace
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 months ago
Title says all. The closest available off-campus accomodation is 50mins by foot and no busses to speak of.
I go to the university of kent, and am very scared/uncomfortable of living off campus.
What should I do? Do they accept any late applications? Deadline was 20th jan, and it says theyve gotten an unprecedent amount of applications, and that everyone that didnt get an offer by the 20th, was unsuccessful in getting a place on-campus.

I dont drive, and was unaware of the gravity of the application.
Has anyone gone through this?
What should I do ?
I feel very lost and am trying to hold back the tears.
Last edited by thegodofspace; 2 months ago
999tigger
Badges: 19
Report 2 months ago
(Original post by thegodofspace)
Title says all. The closest available off-campus accomodation is 50mins by foot and no busses to speak of.
I go to the university of kent, and am very scared/uncomfortable of living off campus.
What should I do? Do they accept any late applications? Deadline was 20th jan, and it says theyve gotten an unprecedent amount of applications, and that everyone that didnt get an offer by the 20th, was unsuccessful in getting a place on-campus.

What should I do ?
If it was that important an issue, then why didnt you give it more attention?
Talk to accommodation, explain the situation and ask if theres any chance of a waiting list place?
If you have anxiety issues then get a letter from the GP as that would help.
If they dont have enough accommodation though, then year 1 will get priority.
You can also wait for cancellations when students get homesick and quit.
Alternatively year 2 and 3 must live somewhere.
Anonymous #1
Report 2 months ago
I wish i wasnt born with such a small pea-like, smooth-ass brain.
I did a foundation year, so I got on-campus accomodation. This year too (first year), i was obviously a shoe in for it. I dont know if it was ignorance, but I didnt think the applications would go out this early. Housing fair was always a thing, but i always thought that was theyre way of marketing their accomodations. I am left here lost and alone. I did not make friends this year, nor last. I dont have anyone to fall back on. I dont have any friends to bunk with next year. It definitely is my personality, dont get me wrong, I know this.

I am trembling with fear.

Maybe i should just grow up.
almostmaybe
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
At some point during your degree you will have to live off campus, so it might be worth thinking why it is that is so uncomfortable for you and how you can try to deal with that. Canterbury is small and compact, so you will still be close to campus, a moderate walk or short bus or cycle ride away.The 50 minutes away is campus accommodation in Medway I assume?
StudentRep Annabel
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
(Original post by thegodofspace)

What should I do ?
Hey there!

I'm really sorry to hear about your situation! I'm an official rep for UKC here on TSR and currently in my final year at Kent too, so I know the ins and outs of housing on and off campus from my own experience and that of others.
I think the next best step for you is to contact the Accommodation office and explain your situation (you can contact Student Support and Wellbeing also, who may be able to give you some guidance and support during this time) There is obviously no guarantee that they will be able to do something right away, but making them aware could mean if there is any accommodation that becomes available for whatever reason, you are on their radar. Below I'll put the contact info for the Accommodation Office and Student Support and Wellbeing so you can reach them.
Accommodation Office
Student Support and Wellbeing

I've lived off campus for my last 3 years at Kent (my course is 4 years, for context), and honestly I have really enjoyed it. I know that you are worried about not having anyone to live with, but there are still lots of options for you! Firstly, there's private student accommodation such as Palamon Court and Canterbury Student Manor, although they are a short bus ride from campus rather than a walk. However, this means you will have the opportunity to meet other people who may be in a similar situation to you, and have that sense of community that campus accommodation offers. Also, private student accommodation tends to have some pretty cool facilities too, I know that Palamon Court has a free onsite gym for members and a cinema room too!
Alternatively, you could take a look at the University of Kent fresher's Facebook page or event the University of Kent forum here on TSR as there are lots of students looking for other housemates/people to live with. It's likely that many of these people are in similar situations to you as well and also need a friend during this time! Take a look at some of the adverts, you can meet the people beforehand and see if you get on so you're not just jumping into living with people you don't know. This way, it's likely that you'll be able to live closer to campus too. Canterbury is a small city at the end of the day so you're never really too far from campus!

I hope that this helps!
Anonymous #1
Report 2 months ago
Okay i am looking into canterbury student village. Apparently, even though I am applying for next year, I will not be able to cancel the tenancy agreement if i happen to get a place on campus- I'd have to find a 'replacement' for them. I am still not completely sold on off campus. I'm curious to how you handled this.
999tigger
Badges: 19
Report 2 months ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
Okay i am looking into canterbury student village. Apparently, even though I am applying for next year, I will not be able to cancel the tenancy agreement if i happen to get a place on campus- I'd have to find a 'replacement' for them. I am still not completely sold on off campus. I'm curious to how you handled this.
You can commute 50 mins just be organised. On addition to the previous suggestions as long as you dont commit to accommodation you are tied to, then get temp or commute and just keep an eye out for cancellations. I'd be a bit more concerned as to why you arent making friends and try to set that right, so you feel a bit less isolated.
Matureb
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
A 50 minute walk suggests that you are talking about a 3 mile journey. Easily done on a cycle, or an ebike if too many hills.
StudentRep Annabel
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
Hi guys!

I would just like to clarify that it is only a 35 minute walk from Canterbury student manor to the University of Kent campus. I have done the walk myself before, and it is also on a bus route that takes you to the university
Anonymous #1
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by StudentRep Annabel)
Hi guys!

I would just like to clarify that it is only a 35 minute walk from Canterbury student manor to the University of Kent campus. I have done the walk myself before, and it is also on a bus route that takes you to the university
I have bad news. Through signing my tenancy contract for canterbury student village, I was declined because my guarantor was earning less than 18k a year. At this point, I am at a loss for what to do next. I dont think i'll be able to go to uni next year.
StudentRep Annabel
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
I have bad news. Through signing my tenancy contract for canterbury student village, I was declined because my guarantor was earning less than 18k a year. At this point, I am at a loss for what to do next. I dont think i'll be able to go to uni next year.
I'm really sorry to hear that!
Considering your situation, you may find it useful to speak to someone face to face so you can explain everything and get the advice you need. Kent Union have an Advice Centre for students who need some help and I would really recommend speaking to someone there so you know what your options are and what you can do
Here is the link to their website where they have some info. You can also book an appointment online via the website too.
I hope that this is useful and that you get the help you need from Kent Union
thegodofspace
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Words cant express how thankful i am for your help. Thank you.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you worried that a cap in student numbers would affect your place at uni?

Yes (226)
61.08%
No (77)
20.81%
Not sure (67)
18.11%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed