The Student Room Group

exceeding estimated annual mileage with direct line

Can anybody tell me. My friend has car insurance with direct line, estimated annual mileage 7000. He has exceeded this. He does not have a telematics box and has not been contacted by his insurer.....we just wondered because his friend who does have telematics box has been told he has to pay almost £1000 for going over on mileage
Its because your friend has no telematics box which is capable of recording the mileage driven. So the insurers have no way of tracking how many miles the driver has done. This isnt the case for people with telematics as they will monitor it regularly.
Reply 2
How much over will he be by the end of the policy? If he were in an accident and the ins. co. wanted a way to get out of it then they can check the MOT history of the vehicle to find out the mileage done per year and make an assumption based on that as to how many miles over your friend has gone, and will decide whether or not it's worth bothering to act on it or not. If he's only a thousand over then I wouldn't worry too much, but if he's substanially over then it might be worth giving them a call to up his mileage. He will have to pay the difference (usually not a whole lot on a non-telematic policy, just to cover the increased risk to the ins. co.). If he's near the end of the policy anyway then just make sure he gives an accurate predicted mileage for next year.

Quick Reply

Latest