telkov
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Edit: oh my god I wrote so much, I'm so sorry. If anyone actually takes the time to read and reply, thank you so much.

For a long time, I've been very keen on trying to get into medical school, and it has been my dream to become a forensic pathologist. I got good GCSE results (six 9s including all sciences, two 8s, two 7s) and I'm doing biology, chemistry, geography and computer science at A-level. However, now I'm reconsidering it. Medicine is something I'm passionate about academically, but I'm not sure if I would be the appropriate person to work with patients and deal with real people. I always focussed on the endgame of working with dead people and families of the deceased, but I realise that I would still have to make it through medical school. I am not a bad team player, but I am a bit socially awkward, and I don't know if I'm confident enough to have such an important role. I also feel inadequate because I am by no means an outstanding applicant - I don't have anything special to say about myself. Getting rejected from multiple places for work experience combined with these doubts means I've hesitated to try to get more work experience.. and now I feel stuck.

Also recently, I've been considering biochemistry/bioinformatics at university instead. I've also had a long-term interest in genetics and genetic engineering, so I would still be very happy studying those subjects at uni. The only issue is, whilst I like learning about it, I'm not sure I would enjoy a career in a lab, and I don't know what jobs I would aim for if I want a career in genetics, because it's not something I've researched greatly until now... Bioinformatics sounds ideal because I love computer science (although I'm probably gonna drop it at AS - not because I'm doing badly, though) and I like the idea of working with computers, but again, I don't know what jobs/careers that would lead me to. I'm also not going to lie, money is important to me because I need to support my family, and I'm worried those career options won't be enough...

This made me think that I only wanted to apply to two medical schools, but then that would obviously severely lower my chances and be almost useless, and I don't know how I would tailor my personal statement to be suitable for both medicine and biochemistry at uni, so I feel like I have to choose between the two options.

I'm not too worried about my grades, I've been getting all As/A*s since September, but I'm worried about everything else. Sorry for rambling, I just don't know what to do.
Last edited by telkov; 1 year ago
ecolier
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by telkov)
...but I realise that I would still have to make it through medical school...
And as a junior doctor, when you are more likely going to be tested in your communication skills!

...I am not a bad team player, but I am a bit socially awkward, and I don't know if I'm confident enough to have such an important role. I also feel inadequate because I am by no means an outstanding applicant - I don't have anything special to say about myself...
But that's why you learn about this at med school. We do not expect perfect communicators coming in, nor do we expect FY1 doctors to be perfect.

..Getting rejected from multiple places for work experience combined with these doubts means I've hesitated to try to get more work experience.. and now I feel stuck...
You shouldn't. The rejections are not personal - just try elsewhere if possible. Work experience is essential.

... I'm also not going to lie, money is important to me because I need to support my family, and I'm worried those career options won't be enough...
Just to pre-warn you, Medicine doesn't pay that well. You'd have to be a consultant for several years before reaching £100k per year.

...This made me think that I only wanted to apply to two medical schools, but then that would obviously severely lower my chances and be almost useless, and I don't know how I would tailor my personal statement to be suitable for both medicine and biochemistry at uni, so I feel like I have to choose between the two options...
(1) Why only two medical schools? and which two?

(2) Biochemistry / biomedical sciences / bio-etc. (for most Unis) are used to being back up for potential medical students, therefore their admission tutors would expect Medicine personal statement. So unless you are applying to Oxbridge, it shouldn't really matter. I personally got an offer for biomedical sciences from UCL without even an interview, just applying there with my Medicine PS.

...I'm not too worried about my grades, I've been getting all As/A*s since September, but I'm worried about everything else. Sorry for rambling, I just don't know what to do.
Work experience. There's no other way.
telkov
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Thank you so much! About work experience - I believe it's possible to get work experience in nursing instead of shadowing at my local GP for some reason - does this count? Since it would still be in a medical field. Also, I was told that it would even be useful to arrange to talk/interview a GP about working in a medical environment, is this true?

The reason I only wanted to apply to two was that I am beginning to doubt my chances of getting in, and I don't want to apply to 4 and get into none. Although, I understand my chances with only 2 schools are pitiful.

About the PS - I was thinking of biochem at Bath/bioinformatics at Imperial/biochem at Warwick (yes my choices are a bit all over the place, I'm still trying to figure things out ). Would having a medical PS not lower my chances even slightly? So many students have good grades and I'm worried I won't stand out, and for that reason, I won't get in anywhere. I don't do any extracurriculars other than general help around the school and a lot of reading.
ecolier
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by telkov)
Thank you so much! About work experience - I believe it's possible to get work experience in nursing instead of shadowing at my local GP for some reason - does this count?...
Even if it counts for the medical school, would it be useful for your decision making?

...Also, I was told that it would even be useful to arrange to talk/interview a GP about working in a medical environment, is this true?
That is true.

The reason I only wanted to apply to two was that I am beginning to doubt my chances of getting in, and I don't want to apply to 4 and get into none. Although, I understand my chances with only 2 schools are pitiful.
You pay the same UCAS fee applying to 4 med schools, and applying to only 2. I really don't see any advantage applying to 2, unless you wanted to apply to 3 non-medical university courses.

About the PS - I was thinking of biochem at Bath/bioinformatics at Imperial/biochem at Warwick (yes my choices are a bit all over the place, I'm still trying to figure things out ). Would having a medical PS not lower my chances even slightly? So many students have good grades and I'm worried I won't stand out, and for that reason, I won't get in anywhere. I don't do any extracurriculars other than general help around the school and a lot of reading.
Well you will stand out for being a medical applicant to the course. If you are worried, you can always write a different PS to the other unis.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What support do you need with your UCAS application?

I need help researching unis (23)
13.29%
I need help researching courses (12)
6.94%
I need help with filling out the application form (9)
5.2%
I need help with my personal statement (72)
41.62%
I need help with understanding how to make my application stand out (40)
23.12%
I need help with something else (let us know in the thread!) (3)
1.73%
I'm feeling confident about my application and don't need any help at the moment (14)
8.09%

Watched Threads