LXXV
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 weeks ago
Hello, I am a GCSE student and I don't really understand the difference between structure and form. Although I know that form(in poetry) is the type of poem for example a sonnet. But would you consider things like Line lengths, Stanzas, Rhythm, Pace a structural device or form?
Thanks in advance.
FrancescaC2000
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by maths_is_life)
Hello, I am a GCSE student and I don't really understand the difference between structure and form. Although I know that form(in poetry) is the type of poem for example a sonnet. But would you consider things like Line lengths, Stanzas, Rhythm, Pace a structural device or form?
Thanks in advance.
Form is the "type" of text itself and how it appears in different types of literature - style of writing, genre, narrative PERSPECTIVE (linked to style) etc - these indicate the writer's intentions
Structure is the framework of a text including the sequence of events and how they are told - foreshadowing, repetition, narrative ARC etc

In terms of your poetry part of the question, It massively overlaps so I feel like you could make it either - RHYME SCHEME: - follows a set sonnet-like rhyme scheme to emphasise the unfaltering love = FORM / rhyme scheme falters half way to reflect the love faltering = STRUCTURE. It is a tricky one this and always threw me off
Tolgarda
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by FrancescaC2000)
It is a tricky one this and always threw me off
The distinction definitely becomes clearer at A Level.

As for maths_is_life's question, stanzas definitely pertain to the form of poetry, and I'd argue that rhythm does too. It's definitely something I'd expect to see in verse, not prose. However, line lengths and pace are structural features as they are not limited to the form that the piece of literature is written in.
Last edited by Tolgarda; 3 weeks ago
FrancescaC2000
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by Tolgarda)
The distinction definitely becomes clearer at A Level.
I agree it does - it has to because you have larger set marks for form independently whereas at GCSE, often marks are inclusive of form and structure as one.

But there are still a few 'grey areas' for argument which is annoying.
Tolgarda
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
I agree it does - it has to because you have larger set marks for form independently whereas at GCSE, often marks are inclusive of form and structure as one.
Do you? Which spec is this? Our AO2 still includes form and structure. They aren't marked independently for us. And I believe the AOs are identical across all awarding bodies.

But there are still a few 'grey areas' for argument which is annoying.
Fortunately, they are rarer now lol.
FrancescaC2000
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by Tolgarda)
Do you? Which spec is this? Our AO2 still includes form and structure. They aren't marked independently for us. And I believe the AOs are identical across all awarding bodies.
I did AQA English Literature.

I don't remember too well but I'm pretty sure we had an AO dedicated to language form and structure as a whole but the marks were divided up so you could not be awarded top band marks if you only spoke about language and structure with no direct focus on form aswell.
Then our other AOs were (on a basic level)
- Relevant ideas and terminology
- Context
- Comparison to other texts
- Creating a debate
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Bournemouth University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 19 Feb '20
  • Buckinghamshire New University
    Postgraduate and professional courses Postgraduate
    Wed, 19 Feb '20
  • University of Warwick
    Warwick Business School Postgraduate
    Thu, 20 Feb '20

Have you ever accessed mental health support services at University?

Yes (48)
24.49%
No, but I have thought about it (55)
28.06%
No (93)
47.45%

Watched Threads