swanlaw
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 weeks ago
At what point does it become too late to seek a career in commercial law?

I am 25 years old and currently working in a personal injury law firm but feel like I’m limited with my opportunities. I studied law as an undergraduate and went on to complete the LLM version of the LPC.

I never studied commercial modules at either level, does that mean a commercial firm would automatically rule me out as a potential trainee?

I’d be interested to hear anyone’s thoughts on this, all advice welcome.
999tigger
Badges: 19
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by swanlaw)
At what point does it become too late to seek a career in commercial law?

I am 25 years old and currently working in a personal injury law firm but feel like I’m limited with my opportunities. I studied law as an undergraduate and went on to complete the LLM version of the LPC.

I never studied commercial modules at either level, does that mean a commercial firm would automatically rule me out as a potential trainee?

I’d be interested to hear anyone’s thoughts on this, all advice welcome.
As a qualified, trainee or para?
You didnt do any commercial modules? Not even corporate?
What sort of commercial experience have you had?
swanlaw
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 weeks ago
(Original post by 999tigger)
As a qualified, trainee or para?
You didnt do any commercial modules? Not even corporate?
What sort of commercial experience have you had?
Hi 999tiger,

I am a paralegal at the moment. The firm does support people to complete CILEx and to qualify that way, it is something that has been on my mind.

Not at undergad no - unless you want to class employment law and planning law as commercial? I obviously studied business law as a compulsory module on the LPC and I found it extremely interesting. I did initially choose advanced commercial law along with employment law as electives on the LPC, but I changed back to criminal and family law because I simply thought I had a better chance of getting a higher grade - which I eventually did.

I've had no direct commercial law experience in a law firm which unfortunately is probably one of my biggest regrets after leaving uni. That is why I wonder if it is too late to get my foot into the door now if I tried?

What would be your thoughts on someone like myself going back to uni to study a commercial related masters? Do you think an employer would be bothered, or is it too late to change path?

Thanks for responding, look forward to hearing what your thoughts are on this.
999tigger
Badges: 19
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by swanlaw)
Hi 999tiger,

I am a paralegal at the moment. The firm does support people to complete CILEx and to qualify that way, it is something that has been on my mind.

Not at undergad no - unless you want to class employment law and planning law as commercial? I obviously studied business law as a compulsory module on the LPC and I found it extremely interesting. I did initially choose advanced commercial law along with employment law as electives on the LPC, but I changed back to criminal and family law because I simply thought I had a better chance of getting a higher grade - which I eventually did.

I've had no direct commercial law experience in a law firm which unfortunately is probably one of my biggest regrets after leaving uni. That is why I wonder if it is too late to get my foot into the door now if I tried?

What would be your thoughts on someone like myself going back to uni to study a commercial related masters? Do you think an employer would be bothered, or is it too late to change path?

Thanks for responding, look forward to hearing what your thoughts are on this.
Think of the recruiter and profile the sort of candidate they might look for and what their selling points are.

Make a table.
Columns
You at present, other candidates, you with possible changes/ additions.

Possible things they might look for.

Decent degree grade and from where.
LPC+ grade.
Commercial knowledge.
Existing work experience = transferable skills.
Work experience.
Commercial work experience
Commercial legal work experience.
Extra currics
References.

Fill them in and see how you currently have to sell v other candidates v your ideal sell.
You then have to think of the things that will make you more competitive and which is most time efficient/ effective.

It might be a couple of placements or even a paralegal in a commercial firm will do you.
MA might help, but is that better than working in a commercial firm?

You just have to decide what you need and what changes will be worthwhile before you apply and then go for it.
Consider what options are open to you, to make yourself more relevant.

You have to convince them you applied to their firm because?
You want to be a commercial lawyer because?
Does it ring true to what you have? That is your conundrum. Is it good enough for an interview or to get you through?

It would seem to me getting some experience either as a para or just in business might be a start, so you get enough insight as to whether its really as interesting as you think.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

People at uni: do initiations (like heavy drinking) put you off joining sports societies?

Yes (210)
67.74%
No (100)
32.26%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise