The Student Room Group

Period table

I’ve been struggling on how to word my answers to these questions...

Describe how the elements are arranged on the periodic table in terms of periodicity.

Also...

Describe how the elements are arranged on the periodic table in terms of groups.

Anyone have any ideas?

Thank you for any help :smile:
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 1
Original post by Gracetay12
I’ve been struggling on how to word my answers to these questions...

Describe how the elements are arranged on the periodic table in terms of periodicity.

Also...

Describe how the elements are arranged on the periodic table in terms of groups.

Anyone have any ideas?

Thank you for any help :smile:

Hint: groups refer to the blocks on the periodic table, e.g. transitions metals.
Periodicity is a bit vague, it could refer to any property that changes periodically on the table. My best guess would be to talk about how the columns are connected to the electron shell configurations of the elements.
Periodicity = repeating patterns

As you go across the period , the ionic radii decrease
As you go down the period, the ionic radii increase

Electronegativy and First Ionisation Energy also change as you go across, and go down the period.

(there are always exceptions to every trend, but the trend holds true for majority of the atoms in the table, hence 'periodicity')

You can also talk about the change in bonding and intermolecular forces as you move across the period.
Groups = clustered to have similar properties, similar number of outer electrons (which usually determines reactivity)

i.e. all of group 7 are classified as halogens, and tend to form -1 ions (tend to get reduced)

Quick Reply

Latest