bought a car without a log book

Watch
OkThanksBye
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 8 months ago
the log book was lost so I got given a v62 form when I bought it, the road tax is due can I just take the form to a post office and pay it?
darkblade1
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
if you decide to get it done by the post office You’ll need ONE of the following:
-Your V5C logbook or your V5C/2 if you’ve just bought the vehicle
-Your V11
If you don’t have any of these, you need to apply for a new V5C. Fill out your V62 form, which you can pick up at your Post Office. The cost is £25.
Last edited by darkblade1; 8 months ago
StriderHort
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
I've heard post offices can be a bit funny about paperwork, you can do it online but still need one of the numbers from the full or new keeper V5 :/

Uh, do you have any way of knowing if the person that sold you the car owns it? A v62 is just to apply for a new full v5c, you're still expected to have the smaller tear off 'new owner' slip.

I filled in yesterday and the gist is if you have no slip you do indeed need to fill in the V62 and pay a fee, but if you;re not already the reg keeper it says you won't be able to tax it till you actually GET the new V5/C, you WILL need the VIN for that.

Edited post; I thought it was reg and VIN to tax it, nope, you do need at least the new owner slip,my bad.
Last edited by StriderHort; 8 months ago
OkThanksBye
Rep:
?
(Original post by StriderHort)
I've heard post offices can be a bit funny about paperwork, but you can tax it online with the reg number and VIN number which will be on the body somewhere.

Uh, do you have any way of knowing if the person that sold you the car owns it? A v62 is just to apply for a new full v5c, you're still expected to have the smaller tear off 'new owner' slip.
I'm pretty sure he owned it, he did say that he had no other paperwork with it, it was a cat d
OkThanksBye
Rep:
?
(Original post by darkblade1)
if you decide to get it done by the post office You’ll need ONE of the following:
-Your V5C logbook or your V5C/2 if you’ve just bought the vehicle
-Your V11
If you don’t have any of these, you need to apply for a new V5C. Fill out your V62 form, which you can pick up at your Post Office. The cost is £25.
I have the filled in v62 form, do I just give it with the £25 to the post office?
IWMTom
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
(Original post by OkThanksBye)
I'm pretty sure he owned it, he did say that he had no other paperwork with it, it was a cat d
How can you be so sure? There isn't a Cat D anymore.
StriderHort
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
(Original post by IWMTom)
In fairness, they only claimed to be moderately sure
darkblade1
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
I have the filled in v62 form, do I just give it with the £25 to the post office?
yeah i think thats the best thing to do unless you have a green new keepers slip which can be used to tax your vehicle online .
OkThanksBye
Rep:
?
I bought an AA check before I bought the car
IWMTom
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
I bought an AA check before I bought the car
Okay?
OkThanksBye
Rep:
?
Okay?
So in answer to your question, I am sure
Nuffles
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
How did you tax it when you bought the car? Tax doesn't stay with the car these days (although you still see people trying to sell cars with tax on them) I guess if the previous owner really didn't have the V5C then they couldn't process the change of ownership and they are still paying for your tax. Even if they'd paid for the year up front they'd have gotten a refund for the un-used months when the change of ownership went through.

Why didn't you process the V62 immediately when you bought the car?

This is why I'd never buy a car without the log book, and why I'd never sell one without it either. The seller has no way of knowing that you'll actually apply for the new V5C and assuming the lost one is still in their name then any speeding tickets or other penalites will go through to them rather than you! All a bit dodgy IMO, just easier to say no deal without a V5C.
StriderHort
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
(Original post by Nuffles)
How did you tax it when you bought the car? Tax doesn't stay with the car these days (although you still see people trying to sell cars with tax on them) I guess if the previous owner really didn't have the V5C then they couldn't process the change of ownership and they are still paying for your tax. Even if they'd paid for the year up front they'd have gotten a refund for the un-used months when the change of ownership went through.

Why didn't you process the V62 immediately when you bought the car?

This is why I'd never buy a car without the log book, and why I'd never sell one without it either. The seller has no way of knowing that you'll actually apply for the new V5C and assuming the lost one is still in their name then any speeding tickets or other penalites will go through to them rather than you! All a bit dodgy IMO, just easier to say no deal without a V5C.
Pretty much, 2nd last car I bought the seller said 'I won't put the papers through till the end of the month so you'll get the tax. (I paid it before i drove off)...this is the car i'm having to do the V62 for now, months down the line, so every chance that poor buggers been getting hit with fines for me, i thought i was leading a charmed life somehow (fk i wonder if he's getting letters about the traffic lights i demolished, he'll be going mental )

It'll depend on the price paid, the damage cat ect, the cheaper the car the more ill accept service papers and the like being AWOL, but the seller not being able to prove they own the car, or give me any proof that I now own it? dealbreaker
Last edited by StriderHort; 8 months ago
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (92)
13.86%
I'm not sure (31)
4.67%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (213)
32.08%
I have already dropped out (15)
2.26%
I'm not a current university student (313)
47.14%

Watched Threads