xia01
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 9 months ago
Hi all,
Just wondering if anyone has ideas for critics I could use for my coursework as I can't seem to find many. I am comparing The Handmaid's Tale and The Bloody Chamber. My themes are identity/freedom, sexuality and religion, which all seem to apply really well to The Handmaid's Tale but sexuality is a bit harder to link to with The Bloody Chamber
Any help is appreciated
Thanks
FrancescaC2000
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
I haven't read the Bloody Chamber but with Handmaid's Tale and the link with identity:
- I would talk about Sigmund Freud's Psychoanalytic Literary Criticism. I found this really interesting when discussing gender in my English Lit coursework. You could discuss; The reflection of the Id, Ego and Superego in characters (for example Serena Joy being the Id in that she will do ANYTHING for her desire of a child and how she projects her pain of not being able to have a child into jealousy and anger). You could also discuss the representation of women in Literature being two dimensional (Madonna-Whore Complex) and how The Handmaids Tale encompasses this basic understanding of women with how they are viewed and treated in society vs how the actually behave in their private life / behind closed doors - and maybe tie in with this how those who rebel are oppressed similarly to literature that rebelled against societal's and literature's basic representation of women was also repressed (you will find this is a common case with 19th - mid 20th century novels).
Got really carried away there but it is because I just found it so interesting. 10000% worth reading into and seeing if it is something you'd like to include.
Last edited by FrancescaC2000; 9 months ago
xia01
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 8 months ago
(Original post by FrancescaC2000)
I haven't read the Bloody Chamber but with Handmaid's Tale and the link with identity:
- I would talk about Sigmund Freud's Psychoanalytic Literary Criticism. I found this really interesting when discussing gender in my English Lit coursework. You could discuss; The reflection of the Id, Ego and Superego in characters (for example Serena Joy being the Id in that she will do ANYTHING for her desire of a child and how she projects her pain of not being able to have a child into jealousy and anger). You could also discuss the representation of women in Literature being two dimensional (Madonna-Whore Complex) and how The Handmaids Tale encompasses this basic understanding of women with how they are viewed and treated in society vs how the actually behave in their private life / behind closed doors - and maybe tie in with this how those who rebel are oppressed similarly to literature that rebelled against societal's and literature's basic representation of women was also repressed (you will find this is a common case with 19th - mid 20th century novels).
Got really carried away there but it is because I just found it so interesting. 10000% worth reading into and seeing if it is something you'd like to include.
Hi!
That sounds really good so I will definitely have a look! Thanks for the tip
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

New lockdown - Do you agree schools and universities should remain open?

Yes (13)
54.17%
No (9)
37.5%
I don't know (2)
8.33%

Watched Threads