The Student Room Group

Applying and getting into uni with a criminal record.

I researched this question so much after I had already applied and declared my convictions, I declared them thinking it wouldn’t matter at least I’ve been honest I’m a changed person.

I applied to go as an undergraduate so had to do a basic English and maths test and two interviews which I had done well in both interviewers were impressed with me and put my name forward for a place on the course. Second interview was with someone high up from the uni I can’t remember which title. He said how well I’d done in my English and maths and said the other interview had gone well he stood up while I sat put his hand out shook my hand firmly and told me congratulations.

I waited two days expecting an offer email/letter before I got a phone call saying I need to come back in to talk about my convictions these being..

Drink driving 2012
Driving no insurance 2012
Assault by battery2017
Possession of offensive weapon. 2017

I got to speak about these but after another weeks wait me making an appointment . Hours seemed like days.

I described my charges like drink driving I was a young lad I had just bought a second hand scooter from my mate, I’d had a few to drink I felt fine I should not have rid the bike but I did it was five mins down the road I got caught no insurance drink driving.. it’s something I’ve never done again nor would I entertain the idea.

My second charges assault I had actually had some good news that day so went out with the lads from work to celebrate anyway after about 3-4 pints I felt abit funny and headed home I ended up falling to sleep on the bus waking up off the bus with no idea how I got there to a couple of lads holding me up each side both assaulting me asking how do I like being hit? Nutting me kicking me rabbit shots the lot all being recorded by another lad in front. I asked what had gone apparently I hit the bus driver when he tried to wake me up and told him to ask someone else.. police got there arrested me road side search and found I’d had nunchucks in my bag which i thought I’d left at work. It went to court I told my solicitor and police that I thought I’d been spiked but they said I should of said in the interview too late I pleaded guilty strictly on the basis I don’t know what happened that night so couldn’t defend myself and apparently there was actual cctv of me assaulting the driver which I haven’t seen but I’m not proud of either.

I spent So much time worrying about if I was gonna get in and couldn’t find an answer that gave me any hope .

So the good news is I got accepted today unconditional offer. I was put off thinking I wasn’t going to get in because of my past stressed everyday waiting for this answer which was so worth it in the end. I think if anyone with convictions wants to apply should you’ve got a lot to gain and not much to lose. I think it depends on the attitude and outlook you have today. My interviewer today mentioned she could tell I was nervous and that it was good because it showed I cared what I’d done and care more about what happens to my future and my little ones.
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 1
Congratulations!!
Was reading this bracing for a sad ending but i was pleasantly surprised. Good on you! Have fun at Uni :smile:
Original post by Ryanosaur1
I researched this question so much after I had already applied and declared my convictions, I declared them thinking it wouldn’t matter at least I’ve been honest I’m a changed person.

I applied to go as an undergraduate so had to do a basic English and maths test and two interviews which I had done well in both interviewers were impressed with me and put my name forward for a place on the course. Second interview was with someone high up from the uni I can’t remember which title. He said how well I’d done in my English and maths and said the other interview had gone well he stood up while I sat put his hand out shook my hand firmly and told me congratulations.

I waited two days expecting an offer email/letter before I got a phone call saying I need to come back in to talk about my convictions these being..

Drink driving 2012
Assault by battery2017

I got to speak about these but after another weeks wait me making an appointment . Hours seemed like days.

I described my charges like drink driving I was a young lad I had just bought a second hand scooter from my mate, I’d had a few to drink I felt fine I should not have rid the bike but I did it was five mins down the road I got caught no insurance drink driving.. it’s something I’ve never done again nor would I entertain the idea.

My second charges assault I had actually had some good news that day so went out with the lads from work to celebrate anyway after about 3-4 pints I felt abit funny and headed home I ended up falling to sleep on the bus waking up off the bus with no idea how I got there to a couple of lads holding me up each side both assaulting me asking how do I like being hit? Nutting me kicking me rabbit shots the lot all being recorded by another lad in front. I asked what had gone apparently I hit the bus driver when he tried to wake me up and told him to ask someone else.. police got there arrested me road side search and found I’d had nunchucks in my bag which i thought I’d left at work. It went to court I told my solicitor and police that I thought I’d been spiked but they said I should of said in the interview too late I pleaded guilty strictly on the basis I don’t know what happened that night so couldn’t defend myself and apparently there was actual cctv of me assaulting the driver which I haven’t seen but I’m not proud of either.

I spent So much time worrying about if I was gonna get in and couldn’t find an answer that gave me any hope .

So the good news is I got accepted today unconditional offer. I was put off thinking I wasn’t going to get in because of my past stressed everyday waiting for this answer which was so worth it in the end. I think if anyone with convictions wants to apply should you’ve got a lot to gain and not much to lose. I think it depends on the attitude and outlook you have today. My interviewer today mentioned she could tell I was nervous and that it was good because it showed I cared what I’d done and care more about what happens to my future and my little ones.

That was a surprise as I expected the way it went on it was going downhill.
The violence ones would cause concern, but you didnt hide and gave an explanation.
Good for you for getting the opportunity, but be warned if you are involved in anything similar you will almost certainly be withdrawn, so drink by all means, but control it especially if you get aggressive. Glad it worked for you.
Good on you for being honest and making that step to change your life, and congratulations on your offer! Glad that it turned out with a happy ending.
Reply 4
Thank you Nadine I was chuffed to bits I’m just glad I’ve got chance to move forward now and make a better future for me and my family :wink:

And 999 tbh I’ve never had an aggressive nature unless provoked. I don’t agree with hitting people though I would rather talk now especially as I’m getting a bit older. And I don’t drink anymore last time I had a drink was that night in 2017 I never wanna experience that night again let’s just say it coulda ended a whole lot different with how heated it got but I live to tell the tale.. thank you though
Original post by Ryanosaur1

Drink driving 2012
Assault by battery2017

Congratulations, and thanks for sharing your experience. I'm sure applicants in similar situations will find what you've posted useful.
Reply 6
Thank you midgetfever I’m still buzzing now I found out 10am yesterday morning 😜

Blue cow this is exactly the reason I’ve done it, I searched far and wide even for a snippet of advice or info and a lot of people don’t apply because they have them. I’m not sure whether I got lucky but it’s not something I’m going to question I feel blessed right now

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending