yusufozkan
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 months ago
Hello, I am from Turkey and we moved to the UK 3 months ago. I am now 16 years old and can't go to the high school and do GCSEs. In Turkey students enter 2 exams when they reach the age of 14 to qualify for a college. In this exam there are a total of 240 questions in Maths, Science, History, Literature, Religion and English language. Every college has a point over 500 and with your school grades and exam results, you apply for colleges with your point. In this exam I have made 239 right answers and with my school grades I got a point of 498,64 and placed in the first %0.07. I was studying at one of the best colleges of Turkey who only accepts first %0.08 of the students. After that I was planning to go to best international Universities but I ended up here. I still want to study at best universities like Cambridge or Oxford but with no UK qualifications I can't even study A-levels at the worst college. I don't want all my achievements in Turkey to just go to waste. What do you suggest me to do? Is there a way I can translate my Turkish documents or show them as a proof?
artful_lounger
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
If you didn't take GCSEs because you were studying in another country, UK universities won't hold that against you - most universities in the UK don't care much about GCSE grades anyway (including e.g. Cambridge). However you will need to undertake appropriate 6th form qualifications for entry to university, and for universities like Oxbridge and so on they will expect you to be taking traditionally academic qualifications (i.e. A-levels, IB, etc).

UK universities don't care where you study your A-levels, provided you do well in them - and they do (especially Oxbridge) consider the context in which you got your grades (for example if you did better than everyone else in an under-performing school that would be considered more positively than someone who did averagely in one of the top private schools in the country, even if in both cases that ended up being the same grades). As long as you are taking the right kind of qualification and the right subjects, you can still be a competitive applicant for the "top" universities here.

Universities (and presumably schools) may accept international qualifications as being equivalent to UK ones, but usually you need to have these externally assessed (and if applicable, translated) before they will consider them. This can be somewhat expensive, as I understand, however; I would suggest you check to make sure you don't necessarily need this to go on to do the A-level subjects you wish to do somewhere.
s_misery
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
(Original post by yusufozkan)
Hello, I am from Turkey and we moved to the UK 3 months ago. I am now 16 years old and can't go to the high school and do GCSEs. In Turkey students enter 2 exams when they reach the age of 14 to qualify for a college. In this exam there are a total of 240 questions in Maths, Science, History, Literature, Religion and English language. Every college has a point over 500 and with your school grades and exam results, you apply for colleges with your point. In this exam I have made 239 right answers and with my school grades I got a point of 498,64 and placed in the first %0.07. I was studying at one of the best colleges of Turkey who only accepts first %0.08 of the students. After that I was planning to go to best international Universities but I ended up here. I still want to study at best universities like Cambridge or Oxford but with no UK qualifications I can't even study A-levels at the worst college. I don't want all my achievements in Turkey to just go to waste. What do you suggest me to do? Is there a way I can translate my Turkish documents or show them as a proof?
If you cannot take GCSEs in the UK because you recently moved here, they wouldn’t punish you for it since it’s completely not your fault - especially considering your amazing academic record. What you do need to do is sort out a good 6th Form/College where you want to study, and speak with the school authorities there. Chances are, there is a school/college out there that will accept your Turkish qualifications, since they are very good.
Good luck
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

With HE fairs postponed, would a virtual HE fair be useful?

Yes (104)
60.82%
No (67)
39.18%

Watched Threads