dyy05
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
Picking up my car tomorrow (purchased it on Monday - nissan micra) still had some scratches that were being covered) and when I told the man I will be taking it for a full service he sounded suprised.. he said shall i take it for you - i said no no need we will do it tomorrow..

Now im super worried!

Anyone else got a car and found out it had lots of problems?
Jamaa
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
If I was you I would request for a full refund mate. The fact that he behaved like that and was surprised with your request sounds very sketchy to me. I think he knows that a mechanic will find costly issues with that car and he also might find out the car hasn't had a service for a long time.

Of course he would love to service it himself cheaply so that he doesn't... A: disclose the issues and B: save some cash using cheap products which won't pro long the life of the engine. To me it sounds very sketchy and you should be worried because a trusted car salesman don't behave like that!
Last edited by Jamaa; 4 weeks ago
StriderHort
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Yeah If I was selling a car and they said 'I'm off to get it a full service!' I'd be like 'Cool, i'm glad i'm not paying that' I wouldn't see me scrambling do it unless I was worried what might turn up. This is the same one with the tyre & oil leak on the MOT?

You know that for a lot cheaper than the cost of a full service you can get the AA or such out to properly inspect a car for you before buying? 'Any Inspection Welcome' is a key phrase of confidence I look for in car sales. I've admittedly not used it myself, but my last 3 bought cars have all been decade+ cheapies that i knew would have troubles for me to play with. I'd have been more cautious if playing with 'nearly new' money.

My 1st cheap car kind of went this way, the trade seller took it for a 'sort of' service the day I got it, at a curiously out of the way garage and I didn't know any better to question this, it sounded like a nice thing :rolleyes: but in hindsight it was more likely to prevent/delay me looking deeper, as soon as an indy garage got a closer look they called it dangerous and said they didn't want the job and frankly weren't happy it was on their lifts at all.
Last edited by StriderHort; 4 weeks ago
dyy05
Rep:
?
(Original post by StriderHort)
Yeah If I was selling a car and they said 'I'm off to get it a full service!' I'd be like 'Cool, i'm glad i'm not paying that' I wouldn't see me scrambling do it unless I was worried what might turn up. This is the same one with the tyre & oil leak on the MOT?

You know that for a lot cheaper than the cost of a full service you can get the AA or such out to properly inspect a car for you before buying? 'Any Inspection Welcome' is a key phrase of confidence I look for in car sales. I've admittedly not used it myself, but my last 3 bought cars have all been decade+ cheapies that i knew would have troubles for me to play with. I'd have been more cautious if playing with 'nearly new' money.

My 1st cheap car kind of went this way, the trade seller took it for a 'sort of' service the day I got it, at a curiously out of the way garage and I didn't know any better to question this, it sounded like a nice thing :rolleyes: but in hindsight it was more likely to prevent/delay me looking deeper, as soon as an indy garage got a closer look they called it dangerous and said they didn't want the job and frankly weren't happy it was on their lifts at all.
Hi StriderHort

How are you?

Thank you for the reply. Yes its the same car.
I wish I got someone to look at it!! It just all happened so quick :/

The guy who will service the car is someone we can trust so cant wait to see if anything crops up. if so i will take it straight back..

I guess getting a refund will be another long issue. I’m hoping it doesnt get to that
StriderHort
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by dyy05)
Hi StriderHort

How are you?

Thank you for the reply. Yes its the same car.
I wish I got someone to look at it!! It just all happened so quick :/

The guy who will service the car is someone we can trust so cant wait to see if anything crops up. if so i will take it straight back..

I guess getting a refund will be another long issue. I’m hoping it doesnt get to that
Well I assume you've picked it up by now anyway? How did that go?

It might not need a refund, it's possible this is basically innocent, they could have just been trying to save you a bit of money and service it themselves on the cheap. If it's having scratch work done it's possible they've just got it and haven't had a proper look at it themselves. (my first car the trader had basically picked it up at auction and put the ad straight up)
ThuggerThugger
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Sounds fishy to me.. offering to take it for a service for you.
dyy05
Rep:
?
(Original post by StriderHort)
Well I assume you've picked it up by now anyway? How did that go?

It might not need a refund, it's possible this is basically innocent, they could have just been trying to save you a bit of money and service it themselves on the cheap. If it's having scratch work done it's possible they've just got it and haven't had a proper look at it themselves. (my first car the trader had basically picked it up at auction and put the ad straight up)
Hii,

Yes got the car and took it for a service. Thankfully there was no problem!!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

People at uni: do initiations (like heavy drinking) put you off joining sports societies?

Yes (532)
66.75%
No (265)
33.25%

Watched Threads