Watch
This discussion is closed.
remussjhj01
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
(Original post by Faithgirl)
Because there are things I don't like or agree with or like and love you will lable me with that as well?? So I am meant to agree with everything you say?? I cannot have my own opinion, I cannot say what I like, I must say things to please you?? That won't work with me. I am my own self, I don't do things to please others
He didn't. He asked if you support homophobia.
DiddyDec
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 8 months ago
Because there are things I don't like or agree with or like and love you will label me with that as well?? So I am meant to agree with everything you say?? I cannot have my own opinion, I cannot say what I like, I must say things to please you?? That won't work with me. I am my own self, I don't do things to please others
Say whatever you like, I can't and wouldn't stop you if I could.
OAds
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
It's not really a surprise though is it? I mean the CofE are unlikely to change their views suddenly having believed what 'God' says about marriage only being heterosexual since the bible was written. I totally believe they should change their views but considering they are sticking to what their religious book says that's unlikely to happen anytime soon...
DiddyDec
Rep:
?
(Original post by OAds)
It's not really a surprise though is it?
Was the sarcasm not clear?
Stiff Little Fingers
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
(Original post by londonmyst)
The term 'phobia' means irrational fear.
Aquaphobia, cynophobia, coulrophobia, haemophobia.
In general usage it absolutely doesn't - no-one would claim for instance that hydrophobic materials are literally afraid of water, despite not being capable of emotions. Phobia only refers to a persistent or excessive fear (often irrational) within the field of psychiatry and as a diagnosis. In general usage it designates hatred of, fear of, aversion towards or discrimination towards. Is the church of england discriminatory towards the LGBTQ+ community? absolutely, and as such it is homophobic.
londonmyst
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
(Original post by remussjhj01)
Homophobia isn't an irrational fear of gay people lmao.
And it is homophobic, as they're saying sex is for married heterosexual couples only. It doesn't even allow same sex marriage. It's also implied that homosexual activity is unethical (“The church’s teaching on sexual ethics remains unchanged.”).
I would say all of this combined is pretty homophobic.

Having different views to others isn't homophobic. Obviously.
What is homophobic is not allowing LGBT people the same rights (such as marriage) and saying/implying it's unethical to be gay.

They saying the same stuff WBC do. Being gay is a sin, no same sex marriage etc.
Phobia means irrational fear, not hate or personal preference.

In the linked article, the CofE are not saying any of the same thing that the WBC have a tradition of yelling in public places and in the faces of random strangers.
The WBC are open in their vitriolic hatred of almost everyone who disagrees with them, their ideology and their tactics.
To name a few: atheists, catholics, hindus, pagans, unmarried parents, divorced people, gay people, christians that believe in secular government, religious christians who believe in funerals.
They single out gay men for particular viciousness and verbal aggression, as demonstrated by their notorious slogan and website domain.
Several current members of the WBC including the founder's daughter are also foul mouthed hypocrites- who organise noisy harassment campaigns and also publicly admit to participating in the same allegedly counter-doctrinal activities that they claim to hate.
londonmyst
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
(Original post by Nuttyy)
Or Gay people are Christianophobic 💁🏼
Are you joking? :confused:
The christophobia campaign is very unpleasant and includes a lot of dishonesty.
z-hog
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
Why don't you read the article you linked!!! They have not discriminate against anybody, they simply said what they said, why would that be a phobia?? I prefer red to blue, does that mean I have a phobia of blue, because it doesn't agree with your thinking doesn't make it a phobia
I'm not religious but that's no obstacle to feeling the religious-phobia from people utterly intolerant of it. They don't understand what religion is about and they don't want to either, they just want it to reflect their own opinions. You'll go nowhere with this, take my word for it.
remussjhj01
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
Phobia means irrational fear, not hate or personal preference.

In the linked article, the CofE are not saying any of the same thing that the WBC have a tradition of yelling in public places and in the faces of random strangers.
The WBC are open in their vitriolic hatred of almost everyone who disagrees with them, their ideology and their tactics.
To name a few: atheists, catholics, hindus, pagans, unmarried parents, divorced people, gay people, christians that believe in secular government, religious christians who believe in funerals.
They single out gay men for particular viciousness and verbal aggression, as demonstrated by their notorious slogan and website domain.
Several current members of the WBC including the founder's daughter are also foul mouthed hypocrites- who organise noisy harassment campaigns and also publicly admit to participating in the same allegedly counter-doctrinal activities that they claim to hate.
Phobia on it's own does yes. But in the context of being used with the prefix of 'homo-', it means that you hate, dislike, or have a prejudice towards gay people. This may stem from fear, but it may just be hatred. Both are homophobic.
They are saying the same things as WBC, just not in the same way. Just because they're not harassing people, doesn't mean what they're saying isn't damaging. I didn't say that they were identical to WBC, doing and saying all the same things, but I believe WBC are protestants, so you need to think about that in relation to this, a Protestant church saying gay people shouldn't be allowed to get married or have sex etc.
And the dictionary definition of homophobia is 'a dislike or prejudice against homosexual people' so.
username1539513
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
My local Anglican Church is very gay friendly

Name:  B4CB4F36-BCFA-4A15-9B14-AA5964AE34E0.jpeg
Views: 35
Size:  91.6 KB
Not all churches are run by bigots
remussjhj01
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
That's great that your church is so inclusive!
DiddyDec
Rep:
?
That is positive at least.
username4938244
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
(Original post by DiddyDecAlt)
Say whatever you like, I can't and wouldn't stop you if I could.
I don't support homophobia, no
DiddyDec
Rep:
?
I don't support homophobia, no
So why are you so keen to label the Church's actions as not homophobic when they quite clearly are?
username4938244
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
So why are you so keen to label the Church's actions as not homophobic when they quite clearly are?
Look you asked me a question and I answered it!!! I don't have to explain myself further to you because you don't like what I said, that's your own business
londonmyst
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
(Original post by Stiff Little Fingers)
In general usage it absolutely doesn't - no-one would claim for instance that hydrophobic materials are literally afraid of water, despite not being capable of emotions. Phobia only refers to a persistent or excessive fear (often irrational) within the field of psychiatry and as a diagnosis. In general usage it designates hatred of, fear of, aversion towards or discrimination towards. Is the church of england discriminatory towards the LGBTQ+ community? absolutely, and as such it is homophobic.
In mainstream uk and usa society, so many people don't understand what 'phobia' in a human context means.
Thus leading to confusion, erroneously conflating irrational fear/vicious hatred/personal preference, unwittingly creating a smokescreen for the dishonest to exploit and an effective cover for evil criminals charged with violent hate crimes against gay people to hide behind in parts of the usa.

I've written about this so many times: the successful use of the notorious gay panic defence by a group of bible belt affiliated lawyers with an almost 100% acquittal or dismissal rate.
It's the reason why I always refer to Ruby Thomas as London's first convicted hate criminal gay basher to kill.
If only she had been convicted of murder instead of manslaughter.
DiddyDec
Rep:
?
Look you asked me a question and I answered it!!! I don't have to explain myself further to you because you don't like what I said, that's your own business
:congrats:

I'm not sure debate is for you.
Nuttyy
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
Are you joking? :confused:
The christophobia campaign is very unpleasant and includes a lot of dishonesty.
One may say the same about the homophobia campaign right?
username4938244
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
:congrats:

I'm not sure debate is for you.
Aren't you clever!!! Who said I was debating. This is a public forum get off your high horse because you don't like the fact I don't support homophobia
DiddyDec
Rep:
?
Aren't you clever!!! Who said I was debating. This is a public forum get off your high horse because you don't like the fact I don't support homophobia
This is the debate forum :facepalm2:
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you confident you could find support for your mental health if you needed it in COVID-19?

Yes (58)
21.01%
No (218)
78.99%

Watched Threads