The Student Room Group

Starting uni at 23...

I am looking to go back to university. For context, I enrolled back when I was 18 but unfortunately dropped out due to a combination of things unhealthy relationship/MH/Family problems/hated my course and uni. Looking back I should have just transferred to a uni closer to home and done a different course but I decided to get a full time job instead. I'm now a HR Advisor but I definitely know it's not what I want to do forever. I'd like to do something in English/Creative Writing. I feel like I am ready now to leave home and carve my own path whereas at 18 I was terrified of leaving the security of my family home...

I will have to work for the next year to save and pay off the last year of my car loan, then for a few more months after that before the term begins. By this time I'll be 23. My question is, will this be too late? Will I be the old Mother of halls? I like going out and having a night out etc but not sure I can do freshers all over again...
You'll be fine!
I started when I was 23 and I've managed to fit in and find friends fine. My friends do jokingly call me grandma but some of them are as old as me anyway. :lol:
It’s not too old, there are a lot of mature students who apply to uni.

I’m 25 this year and don’t plan on starting uni until I’m 26. You’re never too old to pursue your dreams :smile:
Reply 3
Thank you both! I was worried I would end up left behind as I wouldn't be able to keep up with people...

Another worry is the financial aspect, I'm so used to earning decent money... I'm afraid the student budget will cripple me:eek:
Original post by cowen1398
Thank you both! I was worried I would end up left behind as I wouldn't be able to keep up with people...

Another worry is the financial aspect, I'm so used to earning decent money... I'm afraid the student budget will cripple me:eek:

The finance bit will be a struggle but you get used to it & learn to manage money differently, I took a year in industry during uni and definitely took a few months to re-adjust to it, but after a couple weeks its fine.

The other aspect is all your friends doing cool stuff you cant afford, im now a PhD student and 23 and basically live a student budget (a little bit more then your average UG) but all my mates who are my age are now working full time can afford too spend my weekly budget in a day out & go on big holidays across the world, have a nice car etc. so just be aware you cant do everything with your old mates for a couple years, you'll have to skip out on a few things, its not too bad as you replace these with some studenty activities but worth noting.
I am looking to go back to university. For context, I enrolled back when I was 18 but unfortunately dropped out due to a combination of things unhealthy relationship/MH/Family problems/hated my course and uni. Looking back I should have just transferred to a uni closer to home and done a different course but I decided to get a full time job instead. I'm now a HR Advisor but I definitely know it's not what I want to do forever. I'd like to do something in English/Creative Writing. I feel like I am ready now to leave home and carve my own path whereas at 18 I was terrified of leaving the security of my family home...

I will have to work for the next year to save and pay off the last year of my car loan, then for a few more months after that before the term begins. By this time I'll be 23. My question is, will this be too late? Will I be the old Mother of halls? I like going out and having a night out etc but not sure I can do freshers all over again...

Never too late! University doesn't tend to have an age restriction because you have the ability to do it anytime! I am 22 and looking to getting back into studying at univesity, so go for it for sure if it is what you want to do!

I started uni at 27...and am now graduating three day's before 30. At a uni geared towards younger kids, who went the traditional route as achieving the qualifications can be difficult for mature students tbh. Tbh it's never been an issue, those people who do know im older are totally fine with it, and i live with my mates in a house and go out whenever i want 😂. Also already have a master's place and don't expect it to be an issue there lol. 😂 And it won't be for you either.
Reply 7
Original post by mnot
The finance bit will be a struggle but you get used to it & learn to manage money differently, I took a year in industry during uni and definitely took a few months to re-adjust to it, but after a couple weeks its fine.

The other aspect is all your friends doing cool stuff you cant afford, im now a PhD student and 23 and basically live a student budget (a little bit more then your average UG) but all my mates who are my age are now working full time can afford too spend my weekly budget in a day out & go on big holidays across the world, have a nice car etc. so just be aware you cant do everything with your old mates for a couple years, you'll have to skip out on a few things, its not too bad as you replace these with some studenty activities but worth noting.

Yeah I am worried about this! Most of my friends are in their last year of uni or are also working so I imagine that there will be things I miss out on.

However, I suppose that getting a better career that I genuinely enjoy should be the main goal rather than just money.
Reply 8
Original post by Realitysreflexx
I started uni at 27...and am now graduating three day's before 30. At a uni geared towards younger kids, who went the traditional route as achieving the qualifications can be difficult for mature students tbh. Tbh it's never been an issue, those people who do know im older are totally fine with it, and i live with my mates in a house and go out whenever i want 😂. Also already have a master's place and don't expect it to be an issue there lol. 😂 And it won't be for you either.

Happy Birthday for 3 days! :smile:

The first uni I went to (UWE) was definitely geared more towards younger kids IMO. Lots of nights out, everyone in my halls were 18 and drunk 90% of the time haha.

That's great that it has never been an issue. I've looked into renting privately but worried I'll isolate myself even more, particularly in the first year.

Happy Birthday for 3 days! :smile:

The first uni I went to (UWE) was definitely geared more towards younger kids IMO. Lots of nights out, everyone in my halls were 18 and drunk 90% of the time haha.

That's great that it has never been an issue. I've looked into renting privately but worried I'll isolate myself even more, particularly in the first year.

You'll be fine.... Don't worry.
Go for it! Age is just a number I'm 25 and I'm thinking to get back at uni. Keep in mind that your main goal is your degree. In the near future you'll laugh at yourself remembering asking this question

Reading this felt a bit like looking in a mirror! I've applied this year and will be 23 when I start my course. I dropped out the first time around for what sounds like similar reasons at 18, I studied English Lit and didn't have the clearest path of what I wanted to do. I've worked full time since and am lucky enough to have a fab partner and a house and dog, all of that lovely stuff. I'm really worried that we won't be able to live off a part time wage and maintenance loan! D:

My first uni was Leeds Beckett and I was in the busiest halls, party halls you might say - and it was definitely my downfall!

Good luck! I'm sure we'll be fine but any decision as massive as this is going to be scary, whether you're doing it as a kid or as a 'mature' student. :smile:
If you want the degree go get it bro
I would have a serious think about whether this is what you really want before you take the jump.

I went to uni at 23 (funny enough I worked in HR too) and now I think I can confidently say it didn't work out as I thought it would and part of me wishes I'd just carried on in HR and done my CIPD. I regret choosing to study English as I lost my passion for reading and all the horrible feeling of worthlessness and anxiety I suffered from school came back at uni. University feels more like school than I ever thought it would and I have struggled to get along with the majority of other students because of a life experience gap.

If I could go back I'd either not go to uni or do a course that actually matters in the real world like business, accounting or law. The English department made me think my degree would be worth a lot more than I actually think it is. I always felt low as less than at work because I didn't have a degree and felt jealous to see the people on the grad programmes getting mentored when I was the same age as wasn't supported at work at all. My degree might open a few doors but I haven't enjoyed uni as much as I thought I would.
Reply 14
Youll do great man im sure, just have fun and best of luck to ya! im doing Journalism so not far off creative writing and I cant wait to start. hope youre as buzzed as I am to start your creative writing course aha! also 23 aint too old I cant say much im 20 but I know people at uni at the age of 30+ as others posted itll be chill ma dude/dudette.
Reply 15
I was about your age when I did mine, and it was absolutely fine.

Finished a PhD last year, and was one of the younger in the cohort.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending