Doomsday clock moves to 100 seconds from midnight

Watch
Stiff Little Fingers
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 9 months ago
https://www.theguardian.com/world/20...uclear-climate

The closest we have ever been to midnight, due to the dual threat of nuclear weapons and climate disaster, encouraged by disinformation campaigns by states in an attempt to prevent calls for action.
grKiro
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
It’s BAD.....
Em.-.
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
Climate change, WWIII and now the beginning of a possible pandemic...

Yay 2020!!! 👏👏👏
Occitanie
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
Fearmongering.

There’s no denying that climate change is real and that the threats of nuclear Armageddon are real too, but it seems to me that it is being blown out of proportion.

We’ve already had activists claim we are two decades away from extinction.

We’ve also had those that suggest WW3 is only years away.
Jammy Duel
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
Which is as meaningless as any other move, the threat of nuclear war is lower than it was during the cold war, and climate change hardly poses an existential threat, no matter how much hippies kick and scream. For decades we have been on the brink of the apocalypse on both fronts, strangely both are constantly being pushed back because reality gets in the way
Joinedup
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
have judged the world to be at any point since its creation in 1947, at the outset of the cold war.
was the Cuban missile crisis a joke to you?

---
OTOH it's only 20 seconds worse than it was in 1952
Name:  doomsday.PNG
Views: 48
Size:  128.4 KB
AngeryPenguin
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
White supremacy racism is another primary threat that is not listed but which Prince Charles and others recognise.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-51219034
Stiff Little Fingers
Rep:
?
(Original post by Occitanie)
Fearmongering.

There’s no denying that climate change is real and that the threats of nuclear Armageddon are real too, but it seems to me that it is being blown out of proportion.

We’ve already had activists claim we are two decades away from extinction.

We’ve also had those that suggest WW3 is only years away.
Have we? Or have we actually had people looking at the data and warning that we've got about two decades left before any changes would be too late to avert the problem and it would have gone beyond our control? The two are not quite the same - we're not going to see the last human die in 2040, what we are going to see is that if we do not act - and we are not acting, claims that the UK is on target are a fiction based on exporting the problem and pretending our hands are washed of it - it will be beyond our capabilities to undo the damage by 2040.

(Original post by AngeryPenguin)
White supremacy racism is another primary threat that is not listed but which Prince Charles and others recognise.
The doomsday clock is done by a panel of scientists and so focuses on the hard sciences rather than sociological tensions as such.
Napp
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
What has 'white supremacy' got to do with this?
z-hog
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
I'm beginning to wonder how far-reaching Trump was with his 'prophets of doom' remark that everyone was told was aimed at Team Greta, whether he meant it or not... he makes a good point. Leftism is totally dependent on gloomy narratives to be able to stand, in the absence of anything of a brighter and more upbeat nature. We can all see it abundantly, a constant attempt to frighten people into a fear from which they can only be saved by them.
Occitanie
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
(Original post by z-hog)
I'm beginning to wonder how far-reaching Trump was with his 'prophets of doom' remark that everyone was told was aimed at Team Greta, whether he meant it or not... he makes a good point. Leftism is totally dependent on gloomy narratives to be able to stand, in the absence of anything of a brighter and more upbeat nature. We can all see it abundantly, a constant attempt to frighten people into a fear from which they can only be saved by them.
Fear = Control.

Fear is the oldest emotion in human history, and it has been used for as long as we’ve been around as a tool for control.
Stiff Little Fingers
Rep:
?
(Original post by z-hog)
Put simply this is *******s. Not least because not blowing ourselves up with nuclear weapons or causing a 6th mass extinction shouldn't be partisan issues, but also because fundamentally the left is about hope not fear, hope for a better world for all.
Miss Maddie
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
The world is safe today than it was in 70. This Doomsday clock shouldn't receive the publicity is does. It's scaremongering fake news
DiddyDec
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
Tell me when it gets to midnight, until then I don't really care.
anosmianAcrimony
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
(Original post by z-hog)
We state facts, and you blame us when the facts are bleak and frightening. This is known as shooting the messenger.
anosmianAcrimony
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
Racism and white supremacy seem like reasons we might decide to blow each other up, but I'm not sure I'd class them, in and of themselves, as an existential threat to the human race.
Last edited by anosmianAcrimony; 9 months ago
Rakas21
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
I’d love to see the formula for the starting point rather than the changes.

In terms of nuclear I would say that we’ve moved closer since 98 with Pakistan, North Korea and now Iran but we are certainly further away than at any point during the Cold War.

Climate change is not really a threat to our existence. The 12 years is just to prevent warming exceeding 2C which while bad is not destructive on a global scale.
PTMalewski
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
(Original post by Stiff Little Fingers)
Doomsday clock moves to 100 seconds from midnight
No surprise since Doom Eternal comes out this year.
dxnixl
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
If we destroy the clock then there’d be no doomsdayName:  D0AC26EA-0603-4212-85AA-FAA2DB58D67F.jpeg
Views: 24
Size:  44.0 KB
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

New lockdown - Do you agree schools and universities should remain open?

Yes (50)
37.31%
No (70)
52.24%
I don't know (14)
10.45%

Watched Threads