sadandstressed
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
I'm currently on grade 6's ( a few 7's and two 5's in chemistry and physics). I feel that I have barely revised and have no revision sources. I'm stressing out as I have 108 days left. I am academically capable to get those grades. With hard work and dedication, can I get those grade 8/9?
big-L
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
i need an answer too lol
sadandstressed
Rep:
?
(Original post by big-L)
i need an answer too lol
hahahhaa. happy to know I'm not the only one in this position.
What grades did you get?
TimotheeLaurie
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
I’m in the same boat
big-L
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by sadandstressed)
hahahhaa. happy to know I'm not the only one in this position.
What grades did you get?
haven’t go my mocks back yet but last year my lowest was a 5 but i averaged at about 6s/7s with two 9s
TazmeenX
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
I'm currently on grade 6's ( a few 7's and two 5's in chemistry and physics). I feel that I have barely revised and have no revision sources. I'm stressing out as I have 108 days left. I am academically capable to get those grades. With hard work and dedication, can I get those grade 8/9?
yh however you will need to do A LOT of work. For many subjects, do lots of practice papers and focus on weak points. Seneca is also good for science and quite a few other subject. Search up what other people did to get grade 9s. CorbettMaths and Freesciencelessons are soooo good for maths and science. Also go to all clinics and top-ups! hope u get them grade 9s
sadandstressed
Rep:
?
(Original post by TazmeenX)
yh however you will need to do A LOT of work. For many subjects, do lots of practice papers and focus on weak points. Seneca is also good for science and quite a few other subject. Search up what other people did to get grade 9s. CorbettMaths and Freesciencelessons are soooo good for maths and science. Also go to all clinics and top-ups! hope u get them grade 9s
thank you soooo much! how much would you say I should revise on average on weekdays and weekends.
treetops12
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Year 13 student here! The thing about GCSE's is that you can do well if you're good at memorising stuff. Obviously that means it's easier for some than others. For me, I was able to go from a 4 in Spanish at the end of yr 10 to a 7 in my GCSE, just by memorising grammar and my speaking questions - Spanish was my worst subject by far.
For Maths, do loads of practice papers. That's all I did and I got an 8, and I've never been naturally good at Maths. Practice papers are useful for sciences as well, especially Chemistry. Personally I found that even for Physics, which was the one science I never understood, I just used a CPG revision guide and basically looked through and made notes on the stuff I found hard a few days before the exam, and I was 1 mark off a 9. I had no real understanding, I had just memorised the content and that got me by. Obviously don't do this, but if worse comes to worse, the CPG guides are great. It was the only thing I used for biology and I got a 9.
Essay subjects are slightly harder, and I feel like getting a good grade depends on how well you can write, so I would do as many practice essays as possible. I also got a 9 in RE and that was through doing loads of practice questions and getting my teacher to mark them. In the exam, I ended up having two of the long answer questions as ones I had already practiced.

What I'm trying to say is that if you put in the time and practice and learn the content, you could likely get the grades. At A-level its very different, and so now I see how GCSE's were comparatively easier. Good luck!
sadandstressed
Rep:
?
(Original post by treetops12)
Year 13 student here! The thing about GCSE's is that you can do well if you're good at memorising stuff. Obviously that means it's easier for some than others. For me, I was able to go from a 4 in Spanish at the end of yr 10 to a 7 in my GCSE, just by memorising grammar and my speaking questions - Spanish was my worst subject by far.
For Maths, do loads of practice papers. That's all I did and I got an 8, and I've never been naturally good at Maths. Practice papers are useful for sciences as well, especially Chemistry. Personally I found that even for Physics, which was the one science I never understood, I just used a CPG revision guide and basically looked through and made notes on the stuff I found hard a few days before the exam, and I was 1 mark off a 9. I had no real understanding, I had just memorised the content and that got me by. Obviously don't do this, but if worse comes to worse, the CPG guides are great. It was the only thing I used for biology and I got a 9.
Essay subjects are slightly harder, and I feel like getting a good grade depends on how well you can write, so I would do as many practice essays as possible. I also got a 9 in RE and that was through doing loads of practice questions and getting my teacher to mark them. In the exam, I ended up having two of the long answer questions as ones I had already practiced.

What I'm trying to say is that if you put in the time and practice and learn the content, you could likely get the grades. At A-level its very different, and so now I see how GCSE's were comparatively easier. Good luck!
thank you so much! this helped so much you don't understand.
treetops12
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
thank you so much! this helped so much you don't understand.
Aha you're welcome, good luck!
PC0810
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
I'm currently in Year 13 at the moment so I feel like I can kinda give some advice. Honestly, IT IS NOT TOO LATE! That's what I thought this time last year as well because I had barely made any school notes in several of my subjects just because I was always one of those people that relied solely on the CGP textbooks to do most of my notes. I don't recommend this to everyone but it worked for me. I think as one of the other posters said, the key to GCSE is honestly memorisation.

I am not natural good at maths but I managed to get an 8 in it by doing as many past papers as I can and TRY NOT TO DO QUESTIONS THAT YOU CAN DO! This is a mistake that I did because it made me feel better since I was getting all those questions right. Always do questions from topics that you find hard to do so you get used to doing them. If you get a question from a certain topic wrong, revise it and do several questions from that same topic.

For the sciences, I made cue cards and just memorised some of the content whereas for others, I tried to actually learn the concept behind it. This was especially important since I did terrible. I also did lots of past papers because the questions are quite repetitive so if you get the trend in the mark schemes, it's quite easy to get marks. ASK YOUR TEACHERS if you don't get a certain topic because they are there to help you, don't feel ashamed to ask teachers. (this applies to all subjects)

For English, I can't really give advice for this because I barely revised for English since I HATED THE SUBJECT SO MUCH! But if I could go back in time, I would: try learning how to structure essays properly by watching youtube videos and do some mock essays in timed conditions. Write cue cards for English Literature for the quotes from books/poems. For the poems: go through each poem and write their themes down as well as another poem that you can compare that poem to.

History and Geography: I did huge mind maps for each topic and typed up notes on word. Try learning key dates by making cue cards.

RE: I did cue cards and mind maps.

It's NEVER too early to begin revision. I started earlier on which meant that I was feeling less stressed as exams approached. You will definitely thank yourself later for starting earlier. If you want motivation, try looking at the GCSE requirements that the course that you want to do at university is looking for. For me, I wanted to do medicine so I knew that I had to get at least all A's in my subject. I achieved 6 A* and 5A so I don't think I did terribly by following my methods.

(I didn't proof read this post bc I have an interview tomorrow and i cba to go over it again but I hope this helps!! Message me if you ever need any help)
sadandstressed
Rep:
?
(Original post by PC0810)
I'm currently in Year 13 at the moment so I feel like I can kinda give some advice. Honestly, IT IS NOT TOO LATE! That's what I thought this time last year as well because I had barely made any school notes in several of my subjects just because I was always one of those people that relied solely on the CGP textbooks to do most of my notes. I don't recommend this to everyone but it worked for me. I think as one of the other posters said, the key to GCSE is honestly memorisation.

I am not natural good at maths but I managed to get an 8 in it by doing as many past papers as I can and TRY NOT TO DO QUESTIONS THAT YOU CAN DO! This is a mistake that I did because it made me feel better since I was getting all those questions right. Always do questions from topics that you find hard to do so you get used to doing them. If you get a question from a certain topic wrong, revise it and do several questions from that same topic.

For the sciences, I made cue cards and just memorised some of the content whereas for others, I tried to actually learn the concept behind it. This was especially important since I did terrible. I also did lots of past papers because the questions are quite repetitive so if you get the trend in the mark schemes, it's quite easy to get marks. ASK YOUR TEACHERS if you don't get a certain topic because they are there to help you, don't feel ashamed to ask teachers. (this applies to all subjects)

For English, I can't really give advice for this because I barely revised for English since I HATED THE SUBJECT SO MUCH! But if I could go back in time, I would: try learning how to structure essays properly by watching youtube videos and do some mock essays in timed conditions. Write cue cards for English Literature for the quotes from books/poems. For the poems: go through each poem and write their themes down as well as another poem that you can compare that poem to.

History and Geography: I did huge mind maps for each topic and typed up notes on word. Try learning key dates by making cue cards.

RE: I did cue cards and mind maps.

It's NEVER too early to begin revision. I started earlier on which meant that I was feeling less stressed as exams approached. You will definitely thank yourself later for starting earlier. If you want motivation, try looking at the GCSE requirements that the course that you want to do at university is looking for. For me, I wanted to do medicine so I knew that I had to get at least all A's in my subject. I achieved 6 A* and 5A so I don't think I did terribly by following my methods.

(I didn't proof read this post bc I have an interview tomorrow and i cba to go over it again but I hope this helps!! Message me if you ever need any help)
Thank you so much and good luck with your interview. It's so cool that you want to do medicine because I do too. I'll definitely be asking you for advice then. haha
m.037
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
I started revising for gcses in like march, and even then I didnt do that much efficient revision until a little later on, but when I did I improved a lot, e.g i went from getting 5s to an 8 in maths, 6/6 in science to 8/7, 7 to a 9 in citizenship. Point is yes you can definitely improve, if you start thoroughly revising right now you could get amazing grades, just do lots of past papers and exam questions (I wont go into detail how I revised as someone has already given u info in detail, but feel free to ask me if you would like me to).
Fear-of-failure
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
A lot of work. Also practise exam technique really know the ins and outs of what each question for your exam board requires to get the marks. Yh just revise as well best if luck
f1fanx
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by m.037)
I started revising for gcses in like march, and even then I didnt do that much efficient revision until a little later on, but when I did I improved a lot, e.g i went from getting 5s to an 8 in maths, 6/6 in science to 8/7, 7 to a 9 in citizenship. Point is yes you can definitely improve, if you start thoroughly revising right now you could get amazing grades, just do lots of past papers and exam questions (I wont go into detail how I revised as someone has already given u info in detail, but feel free to ask me if you would like me to).
I absolutely agree w u!! the world is your oyster
sadandstressed
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 weeks ago
thanks you guys all so much! life SAVERS
C000034
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Of course it isn't. For no subject does having only 108 days remaining prevent you from accessing the top grades. At that stage you can still work to obtain them regardless of natural intelligence.
username5137494
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
First of all, don't worry don't worry
You can do ANYTHING if you work hard enough and, importantly, THE RIGHT WAY.
So a bit about myself, I was feeling exactly the same as you, but MUCH LATER IN THE COURSE. Okay? So I only really began aiming for 8's and 9's towards the end of February. My mock results were 8's, 7's, 6's and 5's. My actual GCSE results were 8's and 9's.
My tips are as follows:
1. Don't spend too much time planning as such
2. Use Mr Bruff and Mr Salles Teaches English for English Literature and English Language. Explore your style of writing, and stick to it. It doesn't matter how good it is as long as it's original and your writing is compelling. Dw either about writing "valid points" either- some of the exemplary answers which got 100% in English Literature are bull**** comparing between Romeo and Juliet and Maslow's pyramid of human needs. Trust me, there's absolutely no link between the two and it's utter crap. And yet the student got a 9.
3. For maths, PRACTICE PRACTICE PRACTICE. It will cost you a lot if you think just reading through CGP will do the work. IT DOESN'T.
4. For sciences, use FreeScienceLessons.com to access a lot of content revision. Basically, watch a couple of videos maybe every day depending on which one you need to review, and listen carefully even if you think you know it.
5. Highly recommend you also use the CGP 9-7 workbooks as they are a good challenge.
6. For history (if you take it) practice writing essays and make your teacher mark them. that's the only way to succeed. And make sure you spend a lot of time practising answering questions on time.
7. For computer science (if you take it) or any similar subjects, if you're passionate about it it obviously helps but you gotta still do many practice questions.
8. For religious studies (if you take it), remember to completely de-activate your free will and stop believing that being creative can help you. You got to be like a robot and copy what the textbook says in order to get full marks. This is however different to English where you have to be creative right.
9. For music or art or drama or anything like that, I guess you should spend most of your working hours NOW, because now it's the time to give a big push to your art project or your music reading or enhance your acting. (Sorry I am a bit futile for this one as I didn't take any art GCSE, but my friends did and they told me what they felt they've done right).

But importantly,
DO NOT STRESS TOO MUCH ABOUT IT. Getting 7's is good enough.
Good luck!!
TimotheeLaurie
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by Avtaras)
First of all, don't worry don't worry
You can do ANYTHING if you work hard enough and, importantly, THE RIGHT WAY.
So a bit about myself, I was feeling exactly the same as you, but MUCH LATER IN THE COURSE. Okay? So I only really began aiming for 8's and 9's towards the end of February. My mock results were 8's, 7's, 6's and 5's. My actual GCSE results were 8's and 9's.
My tips are as follows:
1. Don't spend too much time planning as such
2. Use Mr Bruff and Mr Salles Teaches English for English Literature and English Language. Explore your style of writing, and stick to it. It doesn't matter how good it is as long as it's original and your writing is compelling. Dw either about writing "valid points" either- some of the exemplary answers which got 100% in English Literature are bull**** comparing between Romeo and Juliet and Maslow's pyramid of human needs. Trust me, there's absolutely no link between the two and it's utter crap. And yet the student got a 9.
3. For maths, PRACTICE PRACTICE PRACTICE. It will cost you a lot if you think just reading through CGP will do the work. IT DOESN'T.
4. For sciences, use FreeScienceLessons.com to access a lot of content revision. Basically, watch a couple of videos maybe every day depending on which one you need to review, and listen carefully even if you think you know it.
5. Highly recommend you also use the CGP 9-7 workbooks as they are a good challenge.
6. For history (if you take it) practice writing essays and make your teacher mark them. that's the only way to succeed. And make sure you spend a lot of time practising answering questions on time.
7. For computer science (if you take it) or any similar subjects, if you're passionate about it it obviously helps but you gotta still do many practice questions.
8. For religious studies (if you take it), remember to completely de-activate your free will and stop believing that being creative can help you. You got to be like a robot and copy what the textbook says in order to get full marks. This is however different to English where you have to be creative right.
9. For music or art or drama or anything like that, I guess you should spend most of your working hours NOW, because now it's the time to give a big push to your art project or your music reading or enhance your acting. (Sorry I am a bit futile for this one as I didn't take any art GCSE, but my friends did and they told me what they felt they've done right).

But importantly,
DO NOT STRESS TOO MUCH ABOUT IT. Getting 7's is good enough.
Good luck!!
Hello! i am also aiming for 8s and 9s in my gcse however i have not finished all of my notes especially for english lit and havent started practising for eng lang (i do eduqas). My goal is to get 8s in history and maths (exdecel) and 9s in triple science and eng lit and lang and also religious studies. I have started doing flashcards and mindmaps for eng lit but im worried i wont get everything done. is too late you think? also what grade did you get in science and any tips to get a 9?
AdviceASAP
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Honestly YES of course you can - I know people that got 5/6 in their mocks and came out with 7/8 in the real exams because they did hardcore revision after their mocks all the way until the GCSE’s - it’s all about effort and hardwork - YOU CAN DO IT just believe in yourself and do not give up it will all be worth it
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Sheffield Hallam University
    Get into Teaching in South Yorkshire Undergraduate
    Wed, 26 Feb '20
  • The University of Law
    Solicitor Series: Assessing Trainee Skills – LPC, GDL and MA Law - London Moorgate campus Postgraduate
    Wed, 26 Feb '20
  • University of East Anglia
    PGCE Open day Postgraduate
    Sat, 29 Feb '20

People at uni: do initiations (like heavy drinking) put you off joining sports societies?

Yes (532)
66.67%
No (266)
33.33%

Watched Threads