Transfer to Leeds uni and leave my boyfriend Watch

Ameliakkmm
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 weeks ago
During my a levels I had extenuating circumstances and I’m currently studying a foundation year at Sussex uni after not achieving what I expected at A levelMy boyfriend of 3 years was originally going to Portsmouth but decided to go to Sussex through clearing doing a foundation year instead of the 3 year course at Portsmouth (he decided it would be worth it because sussex is a bit higher on the rankings)I am completely shocked I’ve just received an email from Leeds saying they’d be interested in offering me a place despite my awful A levels.Do I leave my boyf to go to the uni I’d always planned to?Will a degree from Leeds be much more respected than one from Sussex?Such a hard decision
GracePJM
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Congrats! It’s understandably a hard decision, but if I were you I would take Leeds up on their offer. They’re obviously keen to have you and if that was where you initially wanted to go, then it doesn’t really matter about uni rankings. The most important question is could you see yourself being happy to change uni if your boyfriend wasn’t at Sussex, and if the answer is yes then I think you should go for it
ajj2000
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Which subject?
Ameliakkmm
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 weeks ago
(Original post by ajj2000)
Which subject?
Biology
ajj2000
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by Ameliakkmm)
Biology
Ah, ok. I guess the thing to check is whether Sussex has a notably strong biology department (equipment, facilities, support for students to use the equipment) compared with Leeds. These things make a real difference to your experience, and definitely if you want to work using skills you have gained.
harrysbar
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
During my a levels I had extenuating circumstances and I’m currently studying a foundation year at Sussex uni after not achieving what I expected at A levelMy boyfriend of 3 years was originally going to Portsmouth but decided to go to Sussex through clearing doing a foundation year instead of the 3 year course at Portsmouth (he decided it would be worth it because sussex is a bit higher on the rankings)I am completely shocked I’ve just received an email from Leeds saying they’d be interested in offering me a place despite my awful A levels.Do I leave my boyf to go to the uni I’d always planned to?Will a degree from Leeds be much more respected than one from Sussex?Such a hard decision
I personally wouldn't bother moving from Sussex uni to Leeds if you are happy at Sussex - it's not like Sussex is a bad uni so the small difference in rankings is very unlikely to affect you career- wise. However, it's very much a personal decision and presumably you asked to transfer to Leeds, they didn't just contact you out of the blue?
emiloujess
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Hi! I feel the pain - I am doing undergrad atm and I am 4-5 hours train away from my boyfriend. What you have to judge is whether, long-term, you will come to regret not taking Leeds up on the offer. It may be worth visiting the uni at least, checking out the facilities, talking to students there about the experience, etc. Stay strong, and good luck
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Warwick
    Warwick Business School Postgraduate
    Thu, 20 Feb '20
  • St George's, University of London
    Postgrad open day Postgraduate
    Thu, 20 Feb '20
  • University of Hertfordshire
    All Subjects Undergraduate
    Sat, 22 Feb '20

People at uni: do initiations (like heavy drinking) put you off joining sports societies?

Yes (241)
66.21%
No (123)
33.79%

Watched Threads