The Student Room Group

Consultation: how could PSHE in schools be improved?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by 04MR17
For a considerable amount of time at the start of my relationship, yes. I'd do the same at the start of any relationship. It's maybe not realistic to expect explicit consent several years into a relationship but explicit consent is important for recognising how comfortable somebody is with you, even if you're several months into a relationship.

I suppose it depends what is being counted as explicit vs implicit
Original post by 1st superstar
Here we go again banging on about s*x... I think UK spends more than enough time banging on about s*x and drugs. Kids need to learn life skills and about other religious besides Christianity and Islam (cough the more harmful religions to society in my opinion (C&I))

Religious education is not needed - if you go to a religious school then you can teach religion but if not then you don't need to shove religious stuff into kids' heads unless they actually take religious studies, and if they do then odds are they will learn about other religions.

Original post by Jammy Duel
Sound like a virgin :tongue:

Does anybody in the real world who isn't some sort of nutty radical feminist that's probably not having sex in the first place actually bother with explicit consent literally every time they have sex?

If we're teaching about how rape destroys lives how about false allegations?

As I said somewhere else, they should, but if two people are stripping each other and making out and obviously starting then it's pretty implied. But if you're just sitting there and you whip your **** out then you kinda need explicit consent for it to work.
Just because two people have had sex in the past doesn't mean they always want sex.

Yeah, false allegations also destroy lives and they also need to be taught about it, of course they do. Rape destroys lives, false allegations destroy lives, sexual assault destroys lives, all of it. They all need to be taught
I would scrap it altogether. I cannot recall anything particularly useful I learnt from it during school. All the information was mostly common sense and is found out on a to-know basis by asking parents or teachers.

I also noticed, and see this today when doing school visits, that pupils use it as an excuse to mess around. They see it as a bird course. Think of a less extreme version of the Sister Act 2 scene when Whoopi Goldberg first walks into her music class.
Tb

Original post by Glaz
Religious education is not needed - if you go to a religious school then you can teach religion but if not then you don't need to shove religious stuff into kids' heads unless they actually take religious studies, and if they do then odds are they will learn about other religions.

As I said somewhere else, they should, but if two people are stripping each other and making out and obviously starting then it's pretty implied. But if you're just sitting there and you whip your **** out then you kinda need explicit consent for it to work.
Just because two people have had sex in the past doesn't mean they always want sex.

Yeah, false allegations also destroy lives and they also need to be taught about it, of course they do. Rape destroys lives, false allegations destroy lives, sexual assault destroys lives, all of it. They all need to be taught

That's why in my opinion religious schools
shouldn't exist and school kids should learn about all religions and not just 1 or 2 (or even better don't make people learn about religion and atheism until year 7)
Original post by Glaz

Agreed but I my opinion we shouldn't be shoving EITHER religion or s*x down people's throat (and what you want people to learn I'm those lessons is pretty much what we ALREADY do in PHSEE/PDE lessons (which is why I hate them))
Original post by Glaz

Implied works there too given the high probability of an explicit, for want of a better word, "revocation" of consent such as "wtf are you doing?", "not now", "put it away", etc
Original post by CoolCavy
More LGBT education, i can't say that learning about condoms for years has served me any purpose.
Less emphasis on alcohol and drugs, the people who want to prat about and get wasted at 15 already are doing it. More inclusion of things like finances, tax, overdrafts, loans etc.

yes i 100% agree with you!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending