seinamercier
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
Is there a limit to how personal and potentially inappropriate a reflective essay for folio could be?
rmason28
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
I think it all really depends on your schools opinion on the topic and in how you portray it. I sat higher last year and I chose a creative instead of reflective piece, and my creative plot was pretty dark you could say haha so I would say just go for a topic you feel as though you can write best - if that is a very personal topic then don't hesitate to give it a go. One of my closest friend's wrote a reflective piece on her experience of being in the close proximity of a friend of hers who was being manipulated while she was under the influence of alcohol which let to her being sexually assaulted and raped at an event. My friend got interviewed by police as she was a witness to the situation. It was a heavy going yet phenomenal piece. I would say put all the work you can into your folio as that really can boost your mark dramatically. I got 29/30 for my folio which ultimately saved me and got me my A at higher in the end
seinamercier
Rep:
?
(Original post by rmason28)
I think it all really depends on your schools opinion on the topic and in how you portray it. I sat higher last year and I chose a creative instead of reflective piece, and my creative plot was pretty dark you could say haha so I would say just go for a topic you feel as though you can write best - if that is a very personal topic then don't hesitate to give it a go. One of my closest friend's wrote a reflective piece on her experience of being in the close proximity of a friend of hers who was being manipulated while she was under the influence of alcohol which let to her being sexually assaulted and raped at an event. My friend got interviewed by police as she was a witness to the situation. It was a heavy going yet phenomenal piece. I would say put all the work you can into your folio as that really can boost your mark dramatically. I got 29/30 for my folio which ultimately saved me and got me my A at higher in the end
Wow, thank you very much. I was actually in a similar situation as your friend but was unsure whether or not to write about it. This helped a lot, thank you
rmason28
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by seinamercier)
Wow, thank you very much. I was actually in a similar situation as your friend but was unsure whether or not to write about it. This helped a lot, thank you
Aw that is no problem at all! I'm so sorry you had to go through that. Let me know if you need any more advice regarding the folio or the exam in general. Would be happy to help. Good luck lovely x
Kubsyy
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
That’s what I was thinking for, creating a 3rd person story inspired by Maccaig poems that I learned with a sense of WW1 or 2
seinamercier
Rep:
?
(Original post by Kubsyy)
That’s what I was thinking for, creating a 3rd person story inspired by Maccaig poems that I learned with a sense of WW1 or 2
That sounds like a great idea, good luck!
rmason28
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by Kubsyy)
That sounds like an amazing idea! My creative was an odd choice and still to this day have no idea what this came to mind but it worked haha! My whole piece was a romantic dream of a women describing her life with her boyfriend ie. holiday in Paris, coffee shop date and then the proposal aftermath. My concluding paragraph was the persona waking up from her dream, her looking over and remembering that her boyfriend is no longer there. Her boyfriend had committed suicide and she longed to experience again all the memories she was reminiscing.

My piece made my English teacher cry. Tbh though, I believe he had a soft spot for me so that’s maybe why he got so emotional about it as he really got invested in my writing. He always used to say to me “You can write so much better than me.” He was really sweet!
Last edited by rmason28; 4 weeks ago
4TheBrighterSide
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
rmason28If you don’t mind me asking, what did you decide to do your persuasive/discursive essay on?
rmason28
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by 4TheBrighterSide)
rmason28If you don’t mind me asking, what did you decide to do your persuasive/discursive essay on?
Hi, my persuasive essay was on the detrimental consequences of social media. It is a very popular topic but I thought it just worked really well as it is something really close to my heart and something I’m passionate about. I’ll upload screenshots of my persuasive piece if anyone is interested in reading
4TheBrighterSide
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Hi, my persuasive essay was on the detrimental consequences of social media. It is a very popular topic but I thought it just worked really well as it is something really close to my heart and something I’m passionate about. I’ll upload screenshots of my persuasive piece if anyone is interested in reading
Thanks a lot!! I’ll be taking inspiration from the techniques/format of yours
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Hertfordshire
    All Subjects Undergraduate
    Sat, 22 Feb '20
  • Ravensbourne University London
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 22 Feb '20
  • Sheffield Hallam University
    Get into Teaching in South Yorkshire Undergraduate
    Wed, 26 Feb '20

People at uni: do initiations (like heavy drinking) put you off joining sports societies?

Yes (406)
68.01%
No (191)
31.99%

Watched Threads