Ministerial Statement from the Culture Secretary- UNESCO Masterpieces of the Oral and Watch

This discussion is closed.
Andrew97
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 weeks ago
Ministerial Statement from the Culture Secretary- UNESCO Masterpieces of the Oral and Intangible Heritage of Humanity

Mr Speaker,

UNESCO have since 2001 proclaimed certain events and traditions to be Masterpieces of the Oral and Intangible Heritage of Humanity, to raise awareness of local customs and traditions. Examples so declared are Shrove Tuesday carnivals in Belgium and needle lace making in Alencon, France.

There are no events within the United Kingdom included, an omission that I feel should be rectified. I am proposing that the government apply to UNESCO for recognition of Morris Dancing, the Up helly aa festival in the Shetland Islands, the gathering at Stonehenge for the summer solstice, and clog dancing in Wales. These are events with a long tradition and much of it passed on without manuals or rules or instruction books in the beginning, which seems to me the essence of the UNESCO list.

I welcome any suggestions for additional traditions to be included in the United Kingdom's application, and commend this Statement to the House.
Jammy Duel
  • Political Ambassador
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
The gathering at Stonehenge is a pretty recent thing, not even half a century old unless we're counting the original congregations in the neolithic period, but if we're counting them there's nothing special.

And there is a special place in hell for Morris Dancers
LiberOfLondon
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
”Try everything once except Morris dancing and incest.”

On a more serious note I see no problems with this statement. Notting Hill Carnival could be an option, as could Wakes weeks and Boxing Day fox hunts. This would ensure that a wide spectrum of British culture is represented
Last edited by LiberOfLondon; 3 weeks ago
Jammy Duel
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by LiberOfLondon)

On a more serious note I see no problems with this statement. Notting Hill Carnival could be an option, as could Wakes weeks and Boxing Day fox hunts. This would ensure that a wide spectrum of British culture is represented
Be realistic in your suggestions
LiberOfLondon
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by Jammy Duel)
Be realistic in your suggestions
I understand that some members of this Government hate fox hunting. One wonders whether they would hold the same beliefs were it a traditional working-class sport practiced by builders from Newcastle instead of an upper-class sport practiced by Old Etonians.
barnetlad
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
I understand that some members of this Government hate fox hunting. One wonders whether they would hold the same beliefs were it a traditional working-class sport practiced by builders from Newcastle instead of an upper-class sport practiced by Old Etonians.
Bear baiting and **** fighting were practiced by people of lower incomes and were they still in place I would hate them as well.
Jammy Duel
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Freedom to enjoy yourself is not something this government supports
LiberOfLondon
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by barnetlad)
Bear baiting and **** fighting were practiced by people of lower incomes and were they still in place I would hate them as well.
Funnily enough the same hot air has not been generated over c o c k fighting as over foxhunting.
The Mogg
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Of course, the recognition of Morris and clog dancing is right up there in my biggest priorities.
CatusStarbright
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
I really like this idea. I would also like to throw into the ring the The Edinburgh Festival Fringe (as is its official title) if I may. I know it has only been running since after WWII, but I believe it is a major annual cultural event for the UK, and one which brings a couple of million visitors to Edinburgh each August.
Baron of Sealand
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
How about the the monarch's annual Christmas message? That's iconic and is viewed every year worldwide.
Cabin19
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
I like this support anything that'll boost tourism in this country. I also reckon the Bog Snorkelling Championships that's held in Wales each yeah has to be rather unique can't be found anywhere else in the world
shadowdweller
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
In support of this, like the idea a lot.
Saracen's Fez
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by Cabin19)
I like this support anything that'll boost tourism in this country. I also reckon the Bog Snorkelling Championships that's held in Wales each yeah has to be rather unique can't be found anywhere else in the world
And don't forget the Man versus Horse marathon, also in Llanwrtyd!
SoggyCabbages
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Are the Government really running out of things to produce already?
barnetlad
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by CatusStarbright)
I really like this idea. I would also like to throw into the ring the The Edinburgh Festival Fringe (as is its official title) if I may. I know it has only been running since after WWII, but I believe it is a major annual cultural event for the UK, and one which brings a couple of million visitors to Edinburgh each August.
(Original post by Cabin19)

I thank the Honourable Members for their suggestions. Other than fox hunting given its outlawing, I will review whether or not the suggestions meet the criteria for applications.
Jammy Duel
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by barnetlad)
I thank the Honourable Members for their suggestions. Other than fox hunting given its outlawing, I will review whether or not the suggestions meet the criteria for applications.
Does UNESCO demand it be current and whether they do or not is irrelevant, you might want to check the law given boxing day hunts are still a thing...
CatusStarbright
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
I've just thought of the annual Cooper's Hill cheese rolling contest too.
Aph
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by CatusStarbright)
I've just thought of the annual Cooper's Hill cheese rolling contest too.
As an event I have attended a couple of times I was just about the suggest this.
Rakas21
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Mr Speaker, although i do not consider this to be an issue of great importance this statement does have my support.

Mr Speaker, i do however note that the Secretary Of State has not included Northern Ireland, an important part of our great union. Does this reflect the governments view that Northern Ireland should be abandoned and our great union torn apart.
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

People at uni: do initiations (like heavy drinking) put you off joining sports societies?

Yes (185)
67.52%
No (89)
32.48%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise