The Student Room Group

Gcse how to revise?

Im just gonna list subjects I chose and give me ways to improve before 2021. Here we go:
English- AQA- Inspector Calls, Macbeth, and A Christmas Carol. What do I need to do to get 9.
Maths- Im already sick at maths- but how can I ensure I get 9 in 2021.
Science- How do I revise science?
Spanish- I need to learn to speak and understand Spanish asap. How?
History- Im sick at history- any tips?
Business- BTEC Business any advice to get distinction?
Sport- OCR How to develop in football and badminton?
I don't have tips for the others but for science you can do this.
Make flashcards with quick questions and key definitions and facts on them and it make take time but they really help. You can also use flashcards for diagrams you need to memorise and draw an unlabelled one on one side and a labelled one on the other, and it should help you be able to visualise them in an exam.
Do lots of practice papers and after you've marked them try to identify the topics you struggle with and revise them using your textbook and your notes in your book and revision guides.
If there are processes that you often forget then try and explain them like you would for a 6 mark question and read it through
Reply 2
I wrote out a super long response to this but I totally flubbed and clicked off the page, losing like the 7 paragraphs I wrote, so I'm just gonna summarise the basic points, from someone who got mostly 9s and a couple 8s !!

English literature (Grade 9):
- Make flashcards for key quotes, key themes and key characters
- Answer as many practice essays as you can, starting as early as possible
- Watch a few adaptations for passive revision

English Language (Grade 9, full marks):
- Practice essays, as many as you can do!
- Revise the speech/article/letter structures, you can lose marks easily if you don't follow the right structure!
- Do your creative writing task on something anecdotal, but vague enough to fit the titles.

Maths (Grade 8):
- Use Pixl maths!
- Complete as many past papers as possible
- Really just practice questions as often as possible, that's all you can do aside from memorising formulas and the like

Science (Grade 99):
- Download 23 equations app for physics equations!
- Mindmaps are very helpful for collating larger topics
- Do regular past papers, check the mark schemes for questions you can't answer, fill the model answer in in a different colour and make sure to go back to the topics you couldn't answer!

Spanish (Grade 8):
- Use Duolingo, take the placement test and use it daily, I cannot stress how much this helped me enough
- Listen to the Duolingo Spanish podcast if you don't have the materials to write, it helps your listening skills!
- Use Quizlet to make flashcard packs of vocabulary you'll need for each topic, these are usually the really easy things to forget
- To revise your speaking questions, write down the first letters of your sample answers, including capital letters and punctuation. read the answer out loud, then try to read what it was looking only at the first letters out loud. keep doing this until you're confident you remember them!

History (Grade 8):
- Make sure to revisit old topics, especially the ones you might not enjoy, cause they're super easy to forget about
- Memorising dates can be helpful, even if you don't use them in your answers, it'll help you remember the sequence of events!
- Do a lot of practice questions!

Sports and business I can't really help with because I didn't take those too, but outside of that here's some other things you should keep in mind!
- DONT cram revise, it's useless, even if you feel like it helps. It'll only stress you out and stop you from sleeping
- Sleep 8 hours a night during exam season, I'd recommend doing that every night but hey, we're teenagers.
- Revision is important, but make sure to set aside time for yourself, to play some games or whatever you do as a hobby. It'll be stressful, so don't let the work consume ALL your time.

Most importantly, it is NOT the end of the world if you don't get the grades you want. You'll start a-levels and realise, Hey, the entry requirements weren't as high as I was aiming for. Of course, be proud of yourself if you do well, and striving to do well isn't a bad thing! Sometimes you just have to view it from an outsider perspective and take some pressure off of yourself. From a former GCSE student, I totally believe in you homie. you got this :> Good luck! hope this helps
Original post by toastt
I wrote out a super long response to this but I totally flubbed and clicked off the page, losing like the 7 paragraphs I wrote, so I'm just gonna summarise the basic points, from someone who got mostly 9s and a couple 8s !!

English literature (Grade 9):
- Make flashcards for key quotes, key themes and key characters
- Answer as many practice essays as you can, starting as early as possible
- Watch a few adaptations for passive revision

English Language (Grade 9, full marks):
- Practice essays, as many as you can do!
- Revise the speech/article/letter structures, you can lose marks easily if you don't follow the right structure!
- Do your creative writing task on something anecdotal, but vague enough to fit the titles.

Maths (Grade 8):
- Use Pixl maths!
- Complete as many past papers as possible
- Really just practice questions as often as possible, that's all you can do aside from memorising formulas and the like

Science (Grade 99):
- Download 23 equations app for physics equations!
- Mindmaps are very helpful for collating larger topics
- Do regular past papers, check the mark schemes for questions you can't answer, fill the model answer in in a different colour and make sure to go back to the topics you couldn't answer!

Spanish (Grade 8):
- Use Duolingo, take the placement test and use it daily, I cannot stress how much this helped me enough
- Listen to the Duolingo Spanish podcast if you don't have the materials to write, it helps your listening skills!
- Use Quizlet to make flashcard packs of vocabulary you'll need for each topic, these are usually the really easy things to forget
- To revise your speaking questions, write down the first letters of your sample answers, including capital letters and punctuation. read the answer out loud, then try to read what it was looking only at the first letters out loud. keep doing this until you're confident you remember them!

History (Grade 8):
- Make sure to revisit old topics, especially the ones you might not enjoy, cause they're super easy to forget about
- Memorising dates can be helpful, even if you don't use them in your answers, it'll help you remember the sequence of events!
- Do a lot of practice questions!

Sports and business I can't really help with because I didn't take those too, but outside of that here's some other things you should keep in mind!
- DONT cram revise, it's useless, even if you feel like it helps. It'll only stress you out and stop you from sleeping
- Sleep 8 hours a night during exam season, I'd recommend doing that every night but hey, we're teenagers.
- Revision is important, but make sure to set aside time for yourself, to play some games or whatever you do as a hobby. It'll be stressful, so don't let the work consume ALL your time.

Most importantly, it is NOT the end of the world if you don't get the grades you want. You'll start a-levels and realise, Hey, the entry requirements weren't as high as I was aiming for. Of course, be proud of yourself if you do well, and striving to do well isn't a bad thing! Sometimes you just have to view it from an outsider perspective and take some pressure off of yourself. From a former GCSE student, I totally believe in you homie. you got this :> Good luck! hope this helps

best response thank you
Reply 4
Original post by onlydafuture
best response thank you

No worries amigo, so long as you put the time and effort in, you'll do great. I'm glad i could help!

Quick Reply

Latest