The Student Room Group

Classical music?

Do any of you listen to classical music?

I usually listen to it while studying or writing essays for background noise but I just really enjoy it in general! Particularly film soundtracks (I really like 1917’s at the minute, Thomas Newman is a genius)

I adore John Williams, Thomas newman, Hans zimmer, and pretty much any studio ghibli soundtrack

If you have any suggestions that I can add to my playlist please go ahead!

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Onde
You might like Vaughan Williams' back catalogue.

Thanks so much! Just playing now. :smile:
try ludovicio einaudi day seven. such a beautiful collection of pieces
Original post by WhisperWillow
try ludovicio einaudi day seven. such a beautiful collection of pieces

Just played a piece, wow!!

Definitely adding to my playlist, thank you.

Should probably mention as well that interstellar Has one of my favourite soundtracks ever, it kind of reminds me of the cornchase song!
Original post by daintydaisy
Just played a piece, wow!!

Definitely adding to my playlist, thank you.

Should probably mention as well that interstellar Has one of my favourite soundtracks ever, it kind of reminds me of the cornchase song!

thata great! I'll have to listen to it.
Original post by WhisperWillow
thata great! I'll have to listen to it.

Oh if you like classical music you have to give hans zimmer a go!

He wrote and orchestrated the music for the lion king and literally everything he’s composed is genius. I’m hoping to get tickets to see him in Amsterdam in 2021, it’s on my bucket list!! Haha
You listed film music composers (which I love) but that's not strictly classical. Check out something with a big theme like Jupiter by Holst or The Lark Ascending and also Dives and Lazarus both by Vaughn Williams. Other film composers I like are Christopher Young, Rachel Portman, James newton Howard, Howard shore (lord of the rings), James horner (titanic), John Barry, Michael Nyman (the Piano).
Do any of you listen to classical music?

I usually listen to it while studying or writing essays for background noise but I just really enjoy it in general! Particularly film soundtracks (I really like 1917’s at the minute, Thomas Newman is a genius)

I adore John Williams, Thomas newman, Hans zimmer, and pretty much any studio ghibli soundtrack

If you have any suggestions that I can add to my playlist please go ahead!

Love a bit of Bach and Vivaldi. Baroque is the best!
Original post by aciana
You listed film music composers (which I love) but that's not strictly classical. Check out something with a big theme like Jupiter by Holst or The Lark Ascending and also Dives and Lazarus both by Vaughn Williams. Other film composers I like are Christopher Young, Rachel Portman, James newton Howard, Howard shore (lord of the rings), James horner (titanic), John Barry, Michael Nyman (the Piano).

I don’t listen solely to film music but it’s definitely a preference!

I’ll look into those thanks so much for the recommendation :smile:
There is loads of classical music on Youtube. If you don't know much about composers, just keep listening and find something you like. I used to like the Beethoven's 7th symphony 2nd movement a lot. Schubert's serenade is nice, or Schubert's 8th symphony. You might like some of the Russian composers like Prokofiev, Tchaikovsky, Shostakovich...
I'm not familiar with film composers' music - it's not classical music, just orchestral music. Classical music is music deemed good enough to be remembered throughout the centuries
Original post by Hetilo
There is loads of classical music on Youtube. If you don't know much about composers, just keep listening and find something you like. I used to like the Beethoven's 7th symphony 2nd movement a lot. Schubert's serenade is nice, or Schubert's 8th symphony. You might like some of the Russian composers like Prokofiev, Tchaikovsky, Shostakovich...
I'm not familiar with film composers' music - it's not classical music, just orchestral music. Classical music is music deemed good enough to be remembered throughout the centuries

Ah I’ve done that quite a lot, but was looking to hear more about what other people like! I’m a big fan of Bach and Chopin.
Original post by Onde
@daintydaisy
I discovered a lot of classic music by listening to the entire ClassicFM’s top 300 as voted by listeners for one year: http://halloffame.classicfm.com/2019/

I never even thought of that! I used to love listening to that channel on a night time! :smile:
Oh if you like classical music you have to give hans zimmer a go!

He wrote and orchestrated the music for the lion king and literally everything he’s composed is genius. I’m hoping to get tickets to see him in Amsterdam in 2021, it’s on my bucket list!! Haha

He's great but I doubt it is "classical"..?
Original post by Hetilo

Thank you!
For a moment I thought everyone here thinks that a piece composed 50 years ago is "classical music".
Reply 14
Shostakovich Jazz Waltz 2
Radetzy March
Beethoven: 5th symphony 4th movement
Mozart: The marriage of Figaro
Vivaldi Summer and Winter.
Original post by Velvet_Scholar
Thank you!
For a moment I thought everyone here thinks that a piece composed 50 years ago is "classical music".

My apologies for not recognising the difference - I just meant any music without words really haha. Classical or film, I love both
Original post by Airmed
Shostakovich Jazz Waltz 2
Radetzy March
Beethoven: 5th symphony 4th movement
Mozart: The marriage of Figaro
Vivaldi Summer and Winter.

Thank you!
Reply 17
Mozart Requiem
Dvorak New World Symphony
Tchaikovsky Swan Lake 38 no 21 and Swan Lake 39 no 21
Reply 18
Thank you!

Sorry for formatting :lol:
Original post by Airmed
Sorry for formatting :lol:

Not at all, I appreciate the recommendations! I’ll be listening to them tomorrow morning :biggrin:

Quick Reply