H. Bhatti...
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 11 months ago
So, I've decided to take philosophy as an A-Level because it's what the Religious Studies department at my school is running rather than Religious Studies. My teacher said that I'd be good at it considering I'm doing well in my religious studies GCSE. I have read the prospectus but can anyone tell me what Philosophy A-Level actually entails? Like what is Philosophy?
Joe312
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 11 months ago
(Original post by H. Bhatti...)
So, I've decided to take philosophy as an A-Level because it's what the Religious Studies department at my school is running rather than Religious Studies. My teacher said that I'd be good at it considering I'm doing well in my religious studies GCSE. I have read the prospectus but can anyone tell me what Philosophy A-Level actually entails? Like what is Philosophy?
It involves using reason and argument to think about questions like how should we treat each other (ethics) what is knowledge, is there a God and is the mind just a physical thing or something more?
nickbarrow
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 11 months ago
(Original post by H. Bhatti...)
depends on the exam board as to what you'll actually cover - philosophy is incredibly broad i.e. there is, almost in virtue of its definition, a philosophy about everything. I personally think of it as the ultimate pursuit of human knowledge, you can know everything there is to know about physics for example, but the philosophy of physics will enable you to contextualise it.

Philosophy ranges from Epistemology (knowledge; what it is, how we gain it etc.) to ethics (Questions such as how we should live if we are to be moral etc. ) to the philosophy of religion. These topics dont even scratch the surface tbh.

When it comes to assessment, I imagine that the essays will require exposition and then critical analysis of a particular theory (the theory you're expected to address btw, will be by no means clear). Its alot about argumentation, if what someone is claiming actually follows from the premisses they've provided.

But, as I said, to ask 'What is philosophy' is almost impossible to ask...I had a whole module on it last year (im in my second year of undergrad), and i still dont really know. It is an incredibly important skill though however, and if an employer has any idea as to what it is, will value it highly.

If you could find out the proposed board, I'll happily look up the syllabus and see If i could give you a rough overview of it.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you experienced financial difficulties as a student due to Covid-19?

Yes, I have really struggled financially (56)
17.39%
I have experienced some financial difficulties (91)
28.26%
I haven't experienced any financial difficulties and things have stayed the same (120)
37.27%
I have had better financial opportunities as a result of the pandemic (44)
13.66%
I've had another experience (let us know in the thread!) (11)
3.42%

Watched Threads