The Student Room Group

On a gap year with deferred offer, but realised its not what I want anymore, so stuck

I have a deferred offer at a good uni for religious studies, it's what I really wanted to take and I was very happy with it. But I decided to take a gap year and focus on my mental health which was pretty bad, but now is better.

However the uni is 6 hours away from home, and I've kind of lost the spark for religious studies, I struggle to stay interested in books about it etc. I also have realised how unlikely I am to get a good job from it, especially if I've lost my passion for it. I've also recently met someone I really like, and I don't want to move away, which I know is silly, but on top of everything else I don't want to go anymore. I also think I'll struggle with money being so far, because the cost of travel is over £100 each time I want to come home, and the city is expensive too.

I now really want to do an undergrad in social work, I think i would love the job and the uni in my hometown does a really good course. However I'm worried I'm being swayed by wanting to stay with this guy, and whether I'd regret my choice if he ended things. Also, as its too late to apply now I'd have to wait a whole other year to go to uni, and I'm scared that I'll change my mind again, or if I don't get accepted, it will be two more years! And I'll be in my mid twenties! I don't know what to do.

I dont think I'll be happy taking religious studies and it won't get me a job, but I'm scared I'll get rejected from social work, get dumped by this guy, and be alone and depressed and have even worse mental health for two years, and have wasted so much time. I feel really stuck. Any advice appreciated.
(edited 4 years ago)
Hey!
Well even though the deadlines passed you can actually still apply depending on the course & uni.
You have late applications too.

Your best course of action is to ring up / email the admission team for the uni you're now interested in and tell them that you're really interested in the social course.
See what they say.

It's great to hear that your mental health has improved!
Wish you the best :smile:
Wow thank you I didn't realise this! My only issue with applying now is lack of experience for social work, I've barely got any volunteering experience, would it be worth a shot anyway this year if I'm going to cancel religious studies anyway?
Original post by orangemarmalade
Wow thank you I didn't realise this! My only issue with applying now is lack of experience for social work, I've barely got any volunteering experience, would it be worth a shot anyway this year if I'm going to cancel religious studies anyway?

Yes, do it :smile:
Check that you meet the grade requirements on the universities website and maybe have a cover letter / personal statement ready, if they agree to a meeting -- just to show your dedication / reasoning for wanting to do it.

Good luck! :smile:
I agree that you should phone Admissions at your local uni and talk things over with them. It sounds like you have good reasons for wanting to go to uni closer to home regardless of what happens with your relationship. It is true that they will want some kind of voluntary work experience from you but if you phone them they will also be able to advise you about the sort of things they are looking for.

Don't despair - lots of unis still have vacancies at this time of year and it is ok to change your mind.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending