The Student Room Group

What does it mean to be a "normal person"

There is a disgustingly ablelist tweet by a failed cis-het white male "comedian":
https://twitter.com/nickmullen/status/1220207303074467840

Two different people are two different people, there is no situation in which they sum up to be just ONE person - "normal" or otherwise.

But it made me wonder. Why do people see things in terms of normality? Why is being "white" seen as the "norm"? Why is heterosexuality the "norm"?

Scroll to see replies

It's a person with no extra salt MUAHAHAHAHA
Reply 2
Things are the β€œnorm” if they are most common.
Cis-het? Is that like a new combination of cymbals on a drum kit, like hi-hat?
Reply 4
One person is not β€œnormal” however certain things about that person could be considered normal, of course this may depend on other things about themselves such as where they live, their gender, their religion etc. It’s normal for women to be sexually attracted to men (globally) however some women are attracted to other women or if they’re asexual then nobody at all, this doesn’t make these women not normal overall, their sexuality is just not the normal sexuality.

To remove the idea of a normal person we must stop seeing people as just one thing about themselves, and see them as a person overall and then we will see they have more β€œnormal” human traits than less β€œnormal” ones, whatever they may be.

Edit: when saying β€œnormal” I mean most common. Normal is defined as β€œusual, typical, or expected” according to a google search.
(edited 4 years ago)
Original post by Arthur_Morgan
Cis-het? Is that like a new combination of cymbals on a drum kit, like hi-hat?

Cisgender and heterosexual.
Original post by AngeryPenguin
Cisgender and heterosexual.

r/woooosh
Reply 7
Normal is... opening this thread, looking at the tweet, and wondering exactly how many Twitter accounts are operated solely to bait professionally offended people.

Unless I'm not normal.
its a pretty unfunny tweet as it is.
Twitter is a cesspit, get used to it.
Reply 10
Original post by AngeryPenguin
There is a disgustingly ablelist tweet by a failed cis-het white male "comedian":
https://twitter.com/nickmullen/status/1220207303074467840

Two different people are two different people, there is no situation in which they sum up to be just ONE person - "normal" or otherwise.

But it made me wonder. Why do people see things in terms of normality? Why is being "white" seen as the "norm"? Why is heterosexuality the "norm"?

Ok. You ask an interesting question! It is called a f..ked up intolerant humanity- that's the reason. Humanity, for some bizarre reason, really struggles with legitimate variation amongst human beings!
being a local
Reply 12
Original post by Neilos
Normal is... opening this thread, looking at the tweet, and wondering exactly how many Twitter accounts are operated solely to bait professionally offended people.

Unless I'm not normal.

No you are probably normal and moderately confused!
I suppose it depends on how you define normal!!!!
Reply 14
Original post by Karisa96
I suppose it depends on how you define normal!!!!

And that, my friend, has always been humanity's problem! Human beings cannot agree on a definition! lol.
Original post by mgi
And that, my friend, has always been humanity's problem! Human beings cannot agree on a definition! lol.

You are so right.
Normal means "like me" or "like people I know about". "Weird" means "not like me".
Reply 17
You are so right.

Human beings, for some reason, are more likely to look for differences than they are to look for common agreed acceptable ways to treat each other with respect. I have no idea why!
Original post by mgi
Human beings, for some reason, are more likely to look for differences than they are to look for common agreed acceptable ways to treat each other with respect. I have no idea why!

Could that be down to human nature?
Reply 19
Could that be down to human nature?

Absolutely. But is it the case that one has to knowingly hang on to damaging beliefs about oneself and others? Probably not?! Could people " celebrate " differences between people in areas such as gender. race and sexuality? I personally, don't believe that everyone has. for example, racist or sexist, homophobic tendencies! So , what are these "exceptional" people doing with their " human nature" that others aren't?

Quick Reply

Latest