What does it mean to be a "normal person" Watch

AngeryPenguin
Badges: 18
Report Thread starter 3 weeks ago
There is a disgustingly ablelist tweet by a failed cis-het white male "comedian":
https://twitter.com/nickmullen/statu...07303074467840

Two different people are two different people, there is no situation in which they sum up to be just ONE person - "normal" or otherwise.

But it made me wonder. Why do people see things in terms of normality? Why is being "white" seen as the "norm"? Why is heterosexuality the "norm"?
Shock Hunter
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
It's a person with no extra salt MUAHAHAHAHA
Em.-.
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Things are the “norm” if they are most common.
Arthur_Morgan
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Cis-het? Is that like a new combination of cymbals on a drum kit, like hi-hat?
Em.-.
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
One person is not “normal” however certain things about that person could be considered normal, of course this may depend on other things about themselves such as where they live, their gender, their religion etc. It’s normal for women to be sexually attracted to men (globally) however some women are attracted to other women or if they’re asexual then nobody at all, this doesn’t make these women not normal overall, their sexuality is just not the normal sexuality.

To remove the idea of a normal person we must stop seeing people as just one thing about themselves, and see them as a person overall and then we will see they have more “normal” human traits than less “normal” ones, whatever they may be.

Edit: when saying “normal” I mean most common. Normal is defined as “usual, typical, or expected” according to a google search.
Last edited by Em.-.; 3 weeks ago
AngeryPenguin
Report Thread starter 3 weeks ago
(Original post by Arthur_Morgan)
Cis-het? Is that like a new combination of cymbals on a drum kit, like hi-hat?
Cisgender and heterosexual.
Arthur_Morgan
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by AngeryPenguin)
Cisgender and heterosexual.
r/woooosh
Neilos
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Normal is... opening this thread, looking at the tweet, and wondering exactly how many Twitter accounts are operated solely to bait professionally offended people.

Unless I'm not normal.
fallen_acorns
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
its a pretty unfunny tweet as it is.
DiddyDec
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Twitter is a cesspit, get used to it.
mgi
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by AngeryPenguin)
There is a disgustingly ablelist tweet by a failed cis-het white male "comedian":
https://twitter.com/nickmullen/statu...07303074467840

Two different people are two different people, there is no situation in which they sum up to be just ONE person - "normal" or otherwise.

But it made me wonder. Why do people see things in terms of normality? Why is being "white" seen as the "norm"? Why is heterosexuality the "norm"?
Ok. You ask an interesting question! It is called a f..ked up intolerant humanity- that's the reason. Humanity, for some bizarre reason, really struggles with legitimate variation amongst human beings!
joyceemx
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
being a local
mgi
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by Neilos)
Normal is... opening this thread, looking at the tweet, and wondering exactly how many Twitter accounts are operated solely to bait professionally offended people.

Unless I'm not normal.
No you are probably normal and moderately confused!
Karisa96
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
I suppose it depends on how you define normal!!!!
mgi
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by Karisa96)
I suppose it depends on how you define normal!!!!
And that, my friend, has always been humanity's problem! Human beings cannot agree on a definition! lol.
Karisa96
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by mgi)
And that, my friend, has always been humanity's problem! Human beings cannot agree on a definition! lol.
You are so right.
Fullofsurprises
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Normal means "like me" or "like people I know about". "Weird" means "not like me".
mgi
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
You are so right.
Human beings, for some reason, are more likely to look for differences than they are to look for common agreed acceptable ways to treat each other with respect. I have no idea why!
Karisa96
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by mgi)
Human beings, for some reason, are more likely to look for differences than they are to look for common agreed acceptable ways to treat each other with respect. I have no idea why!
Could that be down to human nature?
mgi
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Could that be down to human nature?
Absolutely. But is it the case that one has to knowingly hang on to damaging beliefs about oneself and others? Probably not?! Could people " celebrate " differences between people in areas such as gender. race and sexuality? I personally, don't believe that everyone has. for example, racist or sexist, homophobic tendencies! So , what are these "exceptional" people doing with their " human nature" that others aren't?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Has your university offer been reduced?

Yes (48)
31.79%
No (77)
50.99%
Don't know (26)
17.22%

Watched Threads