AngeryPenguin
Badges: 18
Report Thread starter 3 weeks ago
Em.-.
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Not yet. If it continues to mutate it could be much more deadly.
AngeryPenguin
(Original post by Em.-.)
Not yet. If it continues to mutate it could be much more deadly.
6600 Americans died from flu in 2019. 350 times as many as have died from this weak strain of flu.
Sammylou40
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Oh give it a rest
Em.-.
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by AngeryPenguin)
6600 Americans died from flu in 2019. 350 times as many as have died from this weak strain of flu.
This has been around for like 2 months. It just recently broke out in one area. The common flu was nationally present in America.

This virus was transmitted from animal to human and it will likely mutate as it’s transferred from human to human.
Since it’s new to humans, it hasn’t had time to mutate unlike the “normal flu”, so it could end up becoming much more serious. Best to act to prevent it spreading now before it potentially gets much worse.
Last edited by Em.-.; 3 weeks ago
Sammylou40
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
You’ll be telling us bill gates created it next...
Napp
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
I imagine the up to 61,000 who die annually from the flu (only in America that is) would find your trite rationalizing somewhat objectionable.
CoolCavy
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Judging by your previous threads nothing about China can be criticised, including deadly diseases it would now seem
Occitanie
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
More fear being pumped into society.

In 2-3 years we won’t hear about the virus again and we’ll have completely forgotten about it.
fallen_acorns
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
people shouldn't be too worried at present. But most of the worry is dirrected at what could happen.

Here in China, people are mostly calm but just aprehensive.. most remember sars and how it was dealt with, and are nervous but reasonably optimistic about this case, given that China now has more resources/experiance to deal with this.

The main worry has been due to its unfortunate timing, being during the busiest time of travel in the world (Chinese new year). Still though its good to put things into perspective.. my parents were worried for a friend in shanghai - when you remind them (as of a few days ago) that shanghai only had one case reported, in a population of 24,000,000 people.. it looks a bit better. Still though, no reason to be paniked yet. For now things are not that bad.
Andrew97
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
We have these worries every couple of years or so. A new disease comes, grips us for a few months, kills a few people and then we move on.

Last year I believe we had the Australian flu, which was presented is newspapers as being a huge threat. Also recently we’ve had the Ebola virus, still around yes, but not to the same scale and swine flu.

The fact we live in a more globalised society means these viruses, diseases etc can spread more easily. But more competent government means we can fight it.

The issue with this one as I see it is twofold, the ability to mutate and the fact it has no known cure as I write this. That’s what causing the panic.
DiddyDec
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
How much do the Chinese pay you for running their propaganda machine?
AngeryPenguin
(Original post by DiddyDecAlt)
How much do the Chinese pay you for running their propaganda machine?
None. How much do America pay you to continue your anti-China propaganda machine?
AngeryPenguin
DiddyDec
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
None. How much do America pay you to continue your anti-China propaganda machine?
I wish I could be paid for my opinion, more people should hear it.
Thisismyunitsr
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
https://twitter.com/JonRead15/status...893131264?s=20

Apparently 350,000 people could be infected by the 4th of February so I would say it’s scarier than normal flu
Last edited by Thisismyunitsr; 3 weeks ago
Occitanie
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by Andrew97)
We have these worries every couple of years or so. A new disease comes, grips us for a few months, kills a few people and then we move on.

Last year I believe we had the Australian flu, which was presented is newspapers as being a huge threat. Also recently we’ve had the Ebola virus, still around yes, but not to the same scale and swine flu.

The fact we live in a more globalised society means these viruses, diseases etc can spread more easily. But more competent government means we can fight it.

The issue with this one as I see it is twofold, the ability to mutate and the fact it has no known cure as I write this. That’s what causing the panic.
I agree with all your points.

I would also add that its propagation is far more concerning than any of the other viruses you have mentioned.
Wōden
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
It's very early days yet, but if the current data is accurate, then yes, this particular strain of coronavirus would appear to have an even lower mortality rate than common seasonal flu, thus there is probably no sense in panicking about it. But as I said, it's early days, we just don't know the implications yet.
Napp
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by CoolCavy)
Judging by your previous threads nothing about China can be criticised, including deadly diseases it would now seem
I wonder if the user is aware that most of these delightful new viruses originate in China? :rolleyes:
heermeet
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
well I agree with you. can't believe everyone is falling for this - AGAIN. did you people not learn anything after the swine flu or ebola or foot-and-mouth 'outbreak'? how many people do you know personally that died from those? they've already listed the symptoms as - wait for it - normal FLU like symptoms and if it becomes really bad - shock horror - it turns into pneumonia and thats when people start passing out in the streets (pretty sure pneumonia does that to people?) so no its not some horrific new virus, its just the standard flu and naturally those who are too old or too ill already to handle it will probably succumb to it but the average person will be fine. its scare mongering, its what the media does best. it means somethings coming up soon or is already happening that they want to overshadow hence why - oh look, lets talk about this new mysterious illness lurking around!

they wanted to cover up prince Andrews scandal therefore Meghan and Harry decided to leave the royal family, now no one is talking about Andrew anymore in the news, did you all notice that?
likewise what else was happening before this outbreak - hmm the austrailian bushfires, Trump's impeachment? something was going on that they wanted to cover up, hence why - lets run multiple stories on people getting the flu. but to make it more intense we'll give it a different name and show pictures of people fainting in China and make people think its an actual epidemic!

THIS is how the media works, kids. they've been doing it for centuries, get used to it.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

People at uni: do initiations (like heavy drinking) put you off joining sports societies?

Yes (200)
67.34%
No (97)
32.66%

Watched Threads