The Student Room Group

I have to bring my dog to uni!

I’m hoping to got to LJMU in September and because of certain circumstances I need to bring my small dog with me, giving her away is not an option for me! I’m from N.I and don’t have a clue on where to start for finding accommodation in Liverpool, Does anyone have any suggestions/ know anywhere I could contact to help get something sorted?
In all likelihood you won't be able to, sorry.
University accommodation will not allow a dog (exceptions being guide dogs/service dogs) and most private landlords will not allow them either. Pet friendly landlords do exist but they are very rare and you will likely need to pay a pet deposit in case your dog damaged property.
You also need to consider whether this is fair to your dog. University is very intense, some people have lectures all day and then you need to consider food trips etc. University rooms are often quite small with no access to a garden. It's not fair to a dog to be cooped up all day, where will it go to the toilet etc whilst you are out?
Reply 2
I know that university accommodation is not an option and have no problem with paying a deposit for a private flat, she’s an older dog and is used to being in the house most of the day on her own when I’m at work. I would probably be home more at uni than I am now! I’m looking for advice on where to look for those types of flats, my decision on bringing my dog is already made
Original post by lturley123
I know that university accommodation is not an option and have no problem with paying a deposit for a private flat, she’s an older dog and is used to being in the house most of the day on her own when I’m at work. I would probably be home more at uni than I am now! I’m looking for advice on where to look for those types of flats, my decision on bringing my dog is already made

Look on rightmove etc or go into an estate agent, nobody here is going to have an exact knowledge of pet friendly flats in liverpool.
Be prepared to have to sacrifice on other aspects of the flat for the sake of the dog however, e.g price, location etc. Taking a dog to uni is not advisable but if you are set on it then that's up to you.
I’m hoping to got to LJMU in September and because of certain circumstances I need to bring my small dog with me, giving her away is not an option for me! I’m from N.I and don’t have a clue on where to start for finding accommodation in Liverpool, Does anyone have any suggestions/ know anywhere I could contact to help get something sorted?

Contact estate agents directly and ask if they have any landlords/properties that will accept both students and pets. It will be very difficult to find as I'm sure you're aware - many landlords don't like renting non-student properties to students, let alone ones with pets in tow. You could always look on SpareRoom too to talk directly to landlords about it.

It can be done just accept its very difficult.
It is also going to be a lot more expensive if you have to have a 1 bed flat.
Will you have a car?

If its a small dog slightly easier.
You might want to look into the insurance so you can use that as part of your pitch, plus possibly make a small video showing how small and well behaved they are. Also non furnished might be viable as any damage is done to your property?
Dont give up.

https://student.spareroom.co.uk/flatshare/?search_id=925049569&mode=list&
https://homes.trovit.co.uk/for-rent-liverpool-pets-considered/1
(edited 4 years ago)
IME it really depends, most landlord i've had don't mind pets...but if you walked in off the street to their office and asked 'do you allow pets' they'd prob still say no :redface:

I know the agent i'm with now doesn't mind, at least 2 folk with dogs in my close and I don't think they've had to go to any special lengths.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending