Selly Oak Birmingham Safe for students?

Watch
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
I’m currently looking at accommodation for UoBirmingham right now and I really loved the Bournebrook accommodation, surrounded by Asian restaurants and big aldi near by also campus is near by so all was sounding great but from the reviews it’s really putting me off apparently really bad crime and dangerous to walk alone?? Anyone living there/has had experience there have an honest and raw review of the area and accommodation, would really mean so much
UoB - Engineering and Physical Sciences
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
I’m currently looking at accommodation for UoBirmingham right now and I really loved the Bournebrook accommodation, surrounded by Asian restaurants and big aldi near by also campus is near by so all was sounding great but from the reviews it’s really putting me off apparently really bad crime and dangerous to walk alone?? Anyone living there/has had experience there have an honest and raw review of the area and accommodation, would really mean so much
Hi!

I am currently a 3rd year student at the University of Birmingham and have been living in houses Selly Oak for the last 2 years. I wouldn't be able to comment on the accommodation specifically but all of the university of Birmingham accommodation comes with everything you need and I really loved where I was staying in first year!

With regards to the safety and crime, Birmingham is the second biggest city in the UK and will come with it's pros and cons, however I wouldn't say it was much worse than most other university cities. During the day, I feel safe walking around on my own. At night, its about being street smart, I would always try and walk with someone else when it gets later at night and just be aware of whats going on around me, but that would be the same no matter where I was living.
There is also a 24 hour security service at the university and a bus has recently started that runs from 8:00pm every 45 minutes until 12:30am and takes you into Selly and onto the road your living on which is a great way to get back if you decide you didn't want to walk back.

Bournbrook accommodation is close to the university so you would have a good opportunity to get a feel for what you think before deciding how far from the university you would want to live, but I lived a 20 minute walk away from campus and found that I felt safe walking home, and I would usually have company if I was going anywhere late at night.

I hope this was helpful, and feel free to ask if you have anymore questions!

~ Amy :rave:
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Feeling behind at school/college? What is the best thing your teachers could to help you catch up?

Extra compulsory independent learning activities (eg, homework tasks) (14)
6.67%
Run extra compulsory lessons or workshops (34)
16.19%
Focus on making the normal lesson time with them as high quality as possible (34)
16.19%
Focus on making the normal learning resources as high quality/accessible as possible (31)
14.76%
Provide extra optional activities, lessons and/or workshops (56)
26.67%
Assess students, decide who needs extra support and focus on these students (41)
19.52%

Watched Threads