Remig145
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
I’m looking to buy my first car for around £500-£1000 but I’m trying to keep the insurance to a minimum with out a black box what cars would you recommend
Ps. I prefer not to have a corsa
Logan Eddy
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
It’s hard to get a car that cheap with cheap insurance. When cars are less then a grand they tend to (but not always) be that cheap because there is something wrong with them. With this in mind if the car is at risk of breaking down insurance will be higher as the chance of needing to rescue you will be much higher. No black box also doesn’t help as if it’s your first car that says to insurance company’s that you are going to be a boy racer and that then increases the chances of them needing to replace the car so your insurance is higher. My best advice is to open auto trader or a similar website and open an insurance quote page and just start browsing cars. See one you like? Put it into the quote website see what you would have to pay. Probably not what you were looking for but it’s my best advice
StriderHort
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I also think you'll really struggle with a budget that small :/

It's not that you can't get a car for it, but as above, it will v likely have serious issues for someone to let it go so cheap, many cars can be scrapped for £200 odd. I like my cheapie gumtree cars, but I don't bother going to see things <£1000

I doubt you'd be able to buy from a trader due to the markup (a large portion of your 1k goes straight in their pocket), need to be a private sale, I suspect your best chance would be to reach out through friends and family for something just as cheap, but that you can trust a little more.

Remember you'll need money for tax, parts and repairs as well, a <£1000 car will often need tires/lights/MOT ect done almost immediately.

I don't think anyone really wants a Corsa, but there's a reason almost everyone seems to friggin end up with one for a while :rolleyes:
Doones
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Remig145)
I’m looking to buy my first car for around £500-£1000 but I’m trying to keep the insurance to a minimum with out a black box what cars would you recommend
Insurance will be more expensive with a very cheap car.
LTEcactus
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
This can be done if you think outside the box, you can probably get 15+ year old car for about £750, that's been well looked after, but just unpopular (ie Mitsubishi Carisma, Volvo S40 mk1 etc)
But for the love of god, don't spend £500 on a ****heap of a corsa, as you'll regret it!

Just make sure it's got good service history, a clearish MOT history, and no serious rust issues
Last edited by LTEcactus; 3 weeks ago
PTMalewski
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by Remig145)
As small and cheap as possible.

Mind that every second hand car needs some immediate servicing. The smaller and simplier one, the less it requires, and the cheaper the parts are going ot be.
LTEcactus
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by PTMalewski)
As small and cheap as possible.

Mind that every second hand car needs some immediate servicing. The smaller and simplier one, the less it requires, and the cheaper the parts are going ot be.
Not necessarily, a smaller car is more likely to be abused by previous owners.
And consumables are pretty much the same price whichever car you buy.
For example I've just bought a 17 year old big ish car, it only needed an oil change and new brakes pretty much. If I'd bought a small hatchback I'd probably need to spend money on the suspension which could be expensive.
PTMalewski
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by LTEcactus)
Not necessarily, a smaller car is more likely to be abused by previous owners.
And consumables are pretty much the same price whichever car you buy.
For example I've just bought a 17 year old big ish car, it only needed an oil change and new brakes pretty much. If I'd bought a small hatchback I'd probably need to spend money on the suspension which could be expensive.
Depends. Small hatchbacks always have just McPherson and Torsion bars. Those are sturdy, and have only a few pivots to be replaced rarely.

A bigger car migh have a multilink suspension, which is very expensive to repair.
LTEcactus
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by PTMalewski)
Depends. Small hatchbacks always have just McPherson and Torsion bars. Those are sturdy, and have only a few pivots to be replaced rarely.

A bigger car migh have a multilink suspension, which is very expensive to repair.
My car has MacPherson struts
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you get study leave?

Yes- I like it (497)
59.81%
Yes- I don't like it (43)
5.17%
No- I want it (235)
28.28%
No- I don't want it (56)
6.74%

Watched Threads