Mock results- Need some advice and help. Watch

EducationIsUhhhh
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
So I got my mock results and I just had parents evening, thus I'm in a dilemma.
My mock results were not very good, I didn't like them since I knew I was more capable if I knew how I was supposed to do it. All my teachers spoke of the same mistake, time management, repetition (writing the same point but in different words) and not understanding the question as I am suppose to. They all said you can get an 8 in all subjects but I need to work on those major factors, though I'm quite stuck how to.

My main issue is science. I want to take the medicine path, meaning I need to take Biology and Chemistry for A-levels. But my biology teacher struck me down when she warned me about moving me down to combined science, as I do triple, saying my mock results were not satisfactory. I honestly. felt no hope in myself, cause I thought I will fail science in GCSE if I continue with triple, but I don't want to cause I still want to do it. We have another mock on March, and I want some advice and help.

January Mock results (these failing results)
Maths- 7- (Have no issue here)
Eng lit- 5+ (Time management issue and repetition)
Eng lan- 6- (Time management issue and repetition)
Geography- 5= (Understanding the question)
History- 4- (TIME MANAGEMENT, could have got a 7 or 8 but time destroyed me)
Re- 5+ ( TIME MANAGEMENT)
Bio- 3-(Time management issue and not understanding the question)
Chem- 3+(Time management issue and not understanding the question)
Physics- 5+(Time management issue and not understanding the question)
Last edited by EducationIsUhhhh; 4 weeks ago
redmeercat
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
You can do medicine with double science... it's A level that counts! But as someone who is not naturally good at science and was happy with my August GCSE results (2018 so it was just about the new spec!) I think you can do it, it's just a question of learning how to revise. Since a prime issue was in failing to understand the question, you can definitely improve on that quite significantly - if you don't already, i'd really recommend you get an exam work book (I used this brand https://www.amazon.co.uk/Revise-Edex...s%2C153&sr=8-4 but definitely check which exam baord you're on) and use that. Go through the contents and highlight the 25 hardest sub topics, probably that you don't understand in the slightest. Next, do one sub topic per revision session (it'll probably be about a page long), first using revision guide, internet etc to understand the basics (I wouldn't recommend making revision notes usually but if you don't understand something you should definitely try to work it out by creating your own diagrams of it etc) and then doing the questions. Mark the questions harshly, then re-write any incorrect answers with the mark scheme, and do additional questions for anything that you still don't understand until you feel confident on your ability to understand the topic and to answer questions on it well. It takes time, but it worked for me... you'll just have to alter the method a bit if it doesn't suit you!
You can definitely do it, but doing combined doesn't stop you from going into medicine, so don't feel bad about it if that does happen in the end.
EducationIsUhhhh
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
(Original post by redmeercat)
You can do medicine with double science... it's A level that counts! But as someone who is not naturally good at science and was happy with my August GCSE results (2018 so it was just about the new spec!) I think you can do it, it's just a question of learning how to revise. Since a prime issue was in failing to understand the question, you can definitely improve on that quite significantly - if you don't already, i'd really recommend you get an exam work book (I used this brand https://www.amazon.co.uk/Revise-Edex...s%2C153&sr=8-4 but definitely check which exam baord you're on) and use that. Go through the contents and highlight the 25 hardest sub topics, probably that you don't understand in the slightest. Next, do one sub topic per revision session (it'll probably be about a page long), first using revision guide, internet etc to understand the basics (I wouldn't recommend making revision notes usually but if you don't understand something you should definitely try to work it out by creating your own diagrams of it etc) and then doing the questions. Mark the questions harshly, then re-write any incorrect answers with the mark scheme, and do additional questions for anything that you still don't understand until you feel confident on your ability to understand the topic and to answer questions on it well. It takes time, but it worked for me... you'll just have to alter the method a bit if it doesn't suit you!
You can definitely do it, but doing combined doesn't stop you from going into medicine, so don't feel bad about it if that does happen in the end.
Thank you for the advice. I'll start taking your advice for my next mocks and see if I've improved.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Sheffield Hallam University
    Get into Teaching in South Yorkshire Undergraduate
    Wed, 26 Feb '20
  • The University of Law
    Solicitor Series: Assessing Trainee Skills – LPC, GDL and MA Law - London Moorgate campus Postgraduate
    Wed, 26 Feb '20
  • University of East Anglia
    PGCE Open day Postgraduate
    Sat, 29 Feb '20

People at uni: do initiations (like heavy drinking) put you off joining sports societies?

Yes (532)
66.67%
No (266)
33.33%

Watched Threads