Electricity physics question help? :( Watch

Montenzuma
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 weeks ago
What is the maximum current that 12 cells, each of emf 2.0 V and internal resistance 0.6 ohms, can produce in a resistor of 0.80 ohms?

The answer is 5 A.

I’m not sure how to do this question because I thought it’d be a simple V=IR equation and then multiplying the final answer by 12 but I do not seem to get 5 amps.

Help is much appreciated
Last edited by Montenzuma; 3 weeks ago
artful_lounger
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
What resistance are you plugging in for R in your V=IR equation?

(also it helps if you say what level this is for, e.g. GCSE/A-level/degree level etc ).
Last edited by artful_lounger; 3 weeks ago
Montenzuma
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 weeks ago
(Original post by artful_lounger)
What resistance are you plugging in for R in your V=IR equation?

(also it helps if you say what level this is for, e.g. GCSE/A-level/degree level etc ).
Hi, this is for Advanced level physics
I would plug in the 0.8 resistor value
RogerOxon
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by Montenzuma)
What about the battery's internal resistance?
artful_lounger
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Do you see where multiplying that by 12 would then cause an issue? Remember there is only one 0.8 ohm resistor in the circuit

You also don't seem to have accounted for the internal resistance there. I assume all cells and the resistor are connected in series? While I'm pretty rusty I don't actually get 5A either if the cells and resistor are in series though, although it's been quite a few years since I had to do any of this
Last edited by artful_lounger; 3 weeks ago
RogerOxon
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
What is the maximum current that 12 cells, each of emf 2.0 V and internal resistance 0.6 ohms, can produce in a resistor of 0.80 ohms?

The answer is 5 A.

I’m not sure how to do this question because I thought it’d be a simple V=IR equation and then multiplying the final answer by 12 but I do not seem to get 5 amps.

Help is much appreciated
If you place the cells in series with the load, what is the total resistance? EMF? Current?

How else can you arrange the cells?
Last edited by RogerOxon; 3 weeks ago
Mr Wednesday
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago

The answer is 5 A.

Does the question specify a circuit arrangement, e.g. cells in series or parallel ? For a question like this its always useful to start with a sketch of the circuit(s) as that can give you a very clear hint how to start throwing maths at the problem. The answer will definitly require Ohms law, but which circuit to apply it to should be the starting point .
David Getling
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago

The answer is 5 A.

Help is much appreciated
This is going to entail arranging the cells in a mixture of series and parallel. Now it is a well known fact that we get maximum power (and so maximum current because of I2R) out of a supply when the external resistance is equal to the internal resistance. Put the cells into 4 groups of 3 parallel cells and then put these groups in series. This gives you?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Bournemouth University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 19 Feb '20
  • Buckinghamshire New University
    Postgraduate and professional courses Postgraduate
    Wed, 19 Feb '20
  • University of Warwick
    Warwick Business School Postgraduate
    Thu, 20 Feb '20

People at uni: do initiations (like heavy drinking) put you off joining sports societies?

Yes (181)
67.54%
No (87)
32.46%

Watched Threads