The Student Room Group

Cambridge Parents Association

I have seen that there has been an Oxford Parents Group running for the best part of a year now and the content seems really useful for parents of existing and prospective students.

I have searched but cannot find a comparative thread for Cambridge.

@Doones Do you know if a group already exists? If not could we use this to start such a group for Cambridge Parents?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by dking2001
I have seen that there has been an Oxford Parents Group running for the best part of a year now and the content seems really useful for parents of existing and prospective students.

@Doones Do you know if a group already exists? If not could we use this to start such a group for Cambridge Parents?

Double awesome @dking2001 !!! Count me in. I have been waiting for this for a long time. Hope you get lots of parents and experts e.g. colleges etc replying and giving you the benefit of their knowledge.

I started off with only 2 parents and it's grown and grown. There are people commenting who have nothing to do with Oxford, but pop over for the chat.

@CambridgeMama @Scotney (who has had a son at both Oxford and Cambridge).

No need to ask to set it up, just relax and enjoy the chat!

And @Doones may even like to comment himself.

I have also written some short pieces about formal hall, boat burning and the corpus tortoise race. I hear that the Cambridge graduation ceremony is very interesting, and different from the Oxford one. Would love to hear about it, and all other things Cambridge!!

Love and best wishes

Oxford Mum xxxxxx
Original post by Oxford Mum
Double awesome @dking2001 !!! Count me in. I have been waiting for this for a long time. Hope you get lots of parents and experts e.g. colleges etc replying and giving you the benefit of their knowledge.

I started off with only 2 parents and it's grown and grown. There are people commenting who have nothing to do with Oxford, but pop over for the chat.

I have also written some short pieces about formal hall, boat burning and the corpus tortoise race. I hear that the Cambridge graduation ceremony is very interesting, and different from the Oxford one. Would love to hear about it, and all other things Cambridge!!

Love and best wishes

Oxford Mum xxxxxx

Let's get this party started.
Hello. My son goes 2 oxford. he studies geography. he is an A* student to me.
If you see this, Andrew, come home.
Reply 4
Original post by Oxford Mum

Love and best wishes

Oxford Mum xxxxxx

Thanks @Oxford Mum my daughter has just received an unconditional offer from Newnham College and I am sure there will be lots of questions that I have that other parents would also have. Seems a good place to keep them all together.
Reply 5

You just have!

:woo: :woo: :woo: :woo:
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 6
Original post by coolcat12345
Hello. My son goes 2 oxford. he studies geography. he is an A* student to me.
If you see this, Andrew, come home.

Has Andrew been turned to join the Better Place?
This is the Cambridge thread :wink:
Reply 7
And @Oxford Mum I'll add links to both threads from the The Parent Room :smile:

Edit: done.
(edited 4 years ago)
Thanks @Oxford Mum my daughter has just received an unconditional offer from Newnham College and I am sure there will be lots of questions that I have that other parents would also have. Seems a good place to keep them all together.

OK, so to get the ball rolling, I helped somebody get into Newnham College and she is presently in her second year. She loves it. Her mother says there is a quiet air of girl power about it. Oh and also they have no problems getting boyfriends because most of them meet up in the Cambridge night clubs.
Reply 9
My daughter is thinking of getting her gown next month when she attends an offer holder day. Plan is to order from Ryderamies and collect in person on the day. Anyone know if this is the best place to get one from?
My daughter is thinking of getting her gown next month when she attends an offer holder day. Plan is to order from Ryderamies and collect in person on the day. Anyone know if this is the best place to get one from?

I love that shop... actually the gowns are not too dear. I don't have a daughter, so my sons trying on their gowns was almost the equivalent of a daughter trying on her wedding dress.
Reply 11

There's no rush. Many don't order it until they arrive, and many colleges sell off 2nd hand gowns too. (And buying one before achieving the offer might be a tad previous... :wink: )

Ryder and Amies is a lovely shop, and close to the best Chelsea buns in the world...
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 12
Original post by Doones
There's no rush. Many don't order it until they arrive, and many colleges sell off 2nd hand gowns too. (And buying one before achieving the offer might be a tad previous... :wink: )

Ryder

Thanks she has an unconditional offer as she applied post A level and is VERY excited about going 🙂
Hello All
My daughter has an offer for Vet Med at Clare - it's all very exciting. She is still making her final choices for UCAS but it is 90% Cambridge 10% Liverpool atm. She will go to the offer holders day in a couple of weeks which may answer any remaining questions.

Looks like you've started a nice little community here :wink: Congratulations to your daughter.
Reply 15
Original post by Blue_Cow
Looks like you've started a nice little community here :wink: Congratulations to your daughter.

Thanks and Thanks 🙂
Reply 16
Thanks she has an unconditional offer as she applied post A level and is VERY excited about going 🙂

Ah! That's ok then :smile:

congratulations to you (oh and her :wink: )
Reply 17
Original post by ReadingMum
Hello All
My daughter has an offer for Vet Med at Clare - it's all very exciting. She is still making her final choices for UCAS but it is 90% Cambridge 10% Liverpool atm. She will go to the offer holders day in a couple of weeks which may answer any remaining questions.

Congratulations to your daughter. Clare is really beautiful.

Newnham is truly lovely and there are some beautiful rooms there. My son stayed there while attending a summer school for 3weeks.The rooms were huge one even had a small baby grand in it. Son's had a dining table, desk, 4 armchairs, a kind of dresser and free standing library shelves. Gardens are beautiful and the meadow. It is away from the tourist track but an easy walk to town. Lucky girl.
Reply 19
Original post by Scotney
Newnham is truly lovely and there are some beautiful rooms there. My son stayed there while attending a summer school for 3weeks.The rooms were huge one even had a small baby grand in it. Son's had a dining table, desk, 4 armchairs, a kind of dresser and free standing library shelves. Gardens are beautiful and the meadow. It is away from the tourist track but an easy walk to town. Lucky girl.

Absolutely agree. Funnily enough when my daughter first considered her colleges she ruled out the all female colleges. However she went to see Newnham on an open day and completely fell in love with it, both the buildings and the friendly supportive atmosphere. From then on it became her first choice college and she was over the moon to get a direct offer to study there.

Quick Reply

Latest