The Student Room Group

Cambridge Parents Association

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Muttley79
Please show me a Maths website where you can post a problem you are stuck on? I don't know of one and I'll support on there as well.

Reddit (lots of different subreddits), Mathematics StackExchange
Original post by Forecast
Reddit (lots of different subreddits), Mathematics StackExchange

Aren;t these American? So not much use really to a struggling GCSE student
Aren;t these American? So not much use really to a struggling GCSE student

No, most of them are international and any level of question (high school, sixth form, university etc.) can be posted. On Reddit there is at least one subreddit dedicated to UK GCSE exams, though.
Reply 43
Why do parents feel they need these threads?

There are so many threads/posts created on TSR by a variety of different types of people with their own unique reasons for posting. Even if a thread may seem subjectively pointless, I don't think this kind of comment is constructive and will just lead to a negative atmosphere.

The maths forum is amazing but so are so many other of the forums. TSR provides threads that you wouldn't find anywhere else on the internet and creates communities that wouldn't otherwise have existed. I feel that we should be celebrating this, not trying to obstruct it.
The point I' trying to make is why isn't this support available from the school? Especially as some students are at Private schools [what on earth are they paying for f they are not getting this support?]. That's where it should be being addressed for the benefit of everyone. Not all parents have the internet.

If a Secondary Modern school where my friend teaches can get students into Oxbridge then any school could.
No, most of them are international and any level of question (high school, sixth form, university etc.) can be posted. On Reddit there is at least one subreddit dedicated to UK GCSE exams, though.

They clearly are American - the word 'math' gives it away.
Original post by Sir Cumference
There are so many threads/posts created on TSR by a variety of different types of people with their own unique reasons for posting. Even if a thread may seem subjectively pointless, I don't think this kind of comment is constructive and will just lead to a negative atmosphere.

The maths forum is amazing but so are so many other of the forums. TSR provides threads that you wouldn't find anywhere else on the internet and creates communities that wouldn't otherwise have existed. I feel that we should be celebrating this, not trying to obstruct it.

See my post - the best place for support on Oxbridge is the school ... see my post above. If that support is lacking then tackle that and help everyone else at that school - especially those with parents who wouldn't know about TSR. They probably need the support most.
Reply 47
See my post - the best place for support on Oxbridge is the school ... see my post above. If that support is lacking then tackle that and help everyone else at that school - especially those with parents who wouldn't know about TSR. They probably need the support most.

I'm not disputing your opinions. The best place for maths help is the classroom but we are here as a support if they need it. Threads like this are great for those who find them useful, interesting or just want to be part of a community alongside others going through a similar thing to them.
(edited 4 years ago)
They clearly are American - the word 'math' gives it away.

Sorry, I didn't realise that American mathematics was a different subject to British mathematics! Plus, as I previously mentioned, there is at least one subreddit dedicated to the UK GCSE exams: https://www.reddit.com/r/GCSE/comments/etpt5s/how_the_hell_do_you_do_this_question_without_any/
Reply 49
The point I' trying to make is why isn't this support available from the school? Especially as some students are at Private schools [what on earth are they paying for f they are not getting this support?]. That's where it should be being addressed for the benefit of everyone. Not all parents have the internet.

If a Secondary Modern school where my friend teaches can get students into Oxbridge then any school could.

Well, this thread has taken an unexpected direction.

I fully agree with you that quality, unbiased information of this type should ideally be available from ALL schools. However, in reality this is not the case. This is clearly stated in the recent Sutton Trust report which looking at the underrepresented state schools 'blames a lack of advice and guidance for applicants and calls for better information'

It goes on to say:

"If we are to ensure that all young people, regardless of their background, have a fair chance of getting in to our top universities, we need to address the patchwork of higher education guidance and support,"

"All young people, regardless of what area they grow up in, or what school they go to, should have access to high quality personal guidance that allows them to make the best informed choices about their future."

My daughter attended a state comp which whilst supportive had little experience of getting pupils into Oxbridge. Indeed, during the application process I was able to find out information on TSR and pass this onto the school (things like the excellent post A level Skype interviews that Christ's offer state school students).

Therefore, whilst the relevant information is sparse or lacking from many schools it is natural for parents, myself included, to seek out information that may help their children. I really do not see what the issue is with that.
Reply 50
There must be something 'different' that my non-Oxford thread open to ANY parent has received no posts. WHY is it only Oxbridge parents that seems to 'need' this support. I'm sorry to say that I think I know why - as a teacher I've heard it all.

To be honest I thought your non-Oxford thread was tongue in cheek and not meant as an active forum. I suspect others may have thought the same. I do not believe that the need for these threads is unique to Oxbridge and suspect that if you had created one for say Manchester Uni Parents or Exeter Uni Parents there would have been some intetest. Non-Oxford is simply too generic to catch peoples attention thats all.
(edited 4 years ago)
Sorry, I didn't realise that American mathematics was a different subject to British mathematics! Plus, as I previously mentioned, there is at least one subreddit dedicated to the UK GCSE exams: https://www.reddit.com/r/GCSE/comments/etpt5s/how_the_hell_do_you_do_this_question_without_any/

It is actually - Americans use different terminology ...

The best websites for UK students are UK-based ... and this is still the only one giving the support I outlined.
Original post by dking2001
Well, this thread has taken an unexpected direction.

I fully agree with you that quality, unbiased information of this type should ideally be available from ALL schools. However, in reality this is not the case. This is clearly stated in the recent Sutton Trust report which looking at the underrepresented state schools 'blames a lack of advice and guidance for applicants and calls for better information'

It goes on to say:

"If we are to ensure that all young people, regardless of their background, have a fair chance of getting in to our top universities, we need to address the patchwork of higher education guidance and support,"

"All young people, regardless of what area they grow up in, or what school they go to, should have access to high quality personal guidance that allows them to make the best informed choices about their future."

My daughter attended a state comp which whilst supportive had little experience of getting pupils into Oxbridge. Indeed, during the application process I was able to find out information on TSR and pass this onto the school (things like the excellent post A level Skype interviews that Christ's offer state school students).

Therefore, whilst the relevant information is sparse or lacking from many schools it is natural for parents, myself included, to seek out information that may help their children. I really do not see what the issue is with that.

I went to a struggling comprehensive and then a private school for sixth form.

In the comprehensive they had no experience of Oxbridge at all. But if you wanted to work down the pit, they could get you the job. I said I wanted to be an interpreter, and my school careers adviser did not research it at all, just gave me a leaflet.

Whereas at private school, everyone else in my French and German set except me went to Oxford.

This difference is SO unfair, which is why I wrote my book Oxford Demystified, to help state school pupils. It is still true today. Many of my elder son's friends' siblings got Oxford places. Unless something is done about it, this will keep on and on happening, with Oxbridge places being handed down from generation to generation, instead of being opened up to able comprehensive/academy students .

Many people on TSR, including me, care if people get into Oxford and Cambridge, which is why there are threads like this and pms.
Reply 53
Please show me a Maths website where you can post a problem you are stuck on? I don't know of one and I'll support on there as well.

As mentioned, reddit - there are GCSE and 6thForm subs
e.g. https://www.reddit.com/r/6thForm/comments/egrtm7/help_needed_for_maths_homework/

But that's not really the point. Yes TSR does some things very well. It's why it exists.

Just like threads like this.

The problem with these threads is that the 'push' for Oxbridge or bust is giving a false impression that these universities are the best for everyone and all degrees. That is just not so; the situation has changed significantly in the last ten years. Invested parents do not always give unbiased and wise advice.

Oxbridge is great for the right degree and the right student- I have students going to both every year. My focus is the right university for every student so they can thrive and go on to get the career they want.

Nobody is disputing this. I certainly haven't.

Not all parents have children at private schools... I didn't...

And what does "Not all parents have the internet" got to do with TSR? TSR can't solve everything!

It can though, for the few that want to know, help with questions like where/when should I (or my child) get their college gown. Even many private schools won't want to be bothered by (or know the answer to) that sort of question.

This thread was created by a parent. If you don't like it, find some unanswered maths threads instead - e.g. the STEP prep thread.
(edited 4 years ago)
The problem with these threads is that the 'push' for Oxbridge or bust is giving a false impression that these universities are the best for everyone and all degrees. That is just not so; the situation has changed significantly in the last ten years. Invested parents do not always give unbiased and wise advice.

Oxbridge is great for the right degree and the right student- I have students going to both every year. My focus is the right university for every student so they can thrive and go on to get the career they want.

No one on TSR (parent, alumni or current student) has said that it's "Oxbridge or bust" or that "[Oxbridge is] the best for everyone and all degrees", though :eyeball: If they had, I (and many other users) would have taken them to task! :security:
Thanks @Doones :smile:
Reply 57
Original post by the_lonely_goatherd
no one on tsr (parent, alumni or current student) has said that it's "oxbridge or bust" or that "[oxbridge is] the best for everyone and all degrees", though :eyeball: If they had, i (and many other users) would have taken them to task! :security:
:

yharapbtur!
See my post - the best place for support on Oxbridge is the school ... see my post above. If that support is lacking then tackle that and help everyone else at that school

How is the average person supposed to tackle the lack of quality careers advice in most schools - not just for people applying to Oxbridge but for people applying to all unis and for all courses? I post mainly on the Law forum and informed people on there are constantly putting students right over their misconceptions regarding what A levels are suitable for Law, whether you can get in with BTECs and other things that their schools should be telling them but clearly aren't (in fact, sometimes it is the untrained staff in schools that are giving the students incorrect advice). I also post a lot in the Applications and UCAS forum and students on there are asking basic questions about UCAS that you would expect to be covered in school lessons but clearly aren't.

Some students don't get good access to the support they need and it's not realistic for people like me to "tackle that and help everyone at that school", but I can support a few students in my spare time - and that's something I enjoy doing on TSR. And people like @Oxford Mum can't go into every state school and talk to the pupils about Oxford, but she can help the students and parents on TSR who express an interest. There's nothing wrong with an online community of people asking questions, answering questions or having discussions about subjects that interest them whether they be students, parents or anyone else.

And I believe the lack of interest in your "non Oxford" parents thread was because not many parents see themselves as a "non Oxford" parent. We are the proud parents of students at Lancaster or Exeter (using myself as an example but it could be any uni) so it seemed a rather negative way of looking at it.

Anyway, no more derailing :hide: - over to the Cambridge parents :smile:
(edited 4 years ago)
Original post by ReadingMum
Hello All
My daughter has an offer for Vet Med at Clare - it's all very exciting. She is still making her final choices for UCAS but it is 90% Cambridge 10% Liverpool atm. She will go to the offer holders day in a couple of weeks which may answer any remaining questions.

Congratulations , we were in the same position last year but my daughter initially favoured Liverpool due to their great equine hospital and had spent years getting the work experience she needed but in the end firmed Cambridge having changed her mind each week almost up until the UCAS deadline which was very stressful for her parents! Her college DOS made a big effort to make all the offer holders feel welcome before and during the open day and having spoken to the 2 Cambridge qualified vets she had previously done work experience with she finally decided to accept the Cambridge offer. She is having a fantastic time, she loves the course her DOS is great and the social life is amazing and she does have time for both which she was worried about.
I am sure your daughter will love her time at either university and if she has any questions please message me and I will try and answer them and I wish her success with her exams.

Quick Reply

Latest