The Student Room Group

Cambridge Parents Association

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Muttley79
There's no need for information for parents there's abundant sources!

I'm on here to help students with Mathematics - you can't get a hint on how to solve a question from other websites. I also support uni blogs and point to good resources.

if you love helping people then why don't you apply become as TSR study and/or university forum helper here: https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=569 or here: https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?p=57154803&highlight=apply%20to%20become%20a%20helper
(edited 4 years ago)
Original post by ReadingMum
It is for vet med across the colleges - I discovered that when I booked her on it. Some of their communication is a little unclear

A good day was had by all - well DD and DH anyway. School was dismissive when she said she was going To the offer holders day - the teacher called it "a waste of a day" - so she nearly didn't go. I strongly recommended that she did, given the negative press that the Cambridge vet med course gets, particularly on tsr. When she left this morning she was 90% on putting Cambridge as first choice - the call from the train home was to say she is "definitely firming Cambridge".
Original post by Muttley79
There's no need for information for parents there's abundant sources!

I'm on here to help students with Mathematics - you can't get a hint on how to solve a question from other websites. I also support uni blogs and point to good resources.

also, @Muttley79, if you love helping people, then why don't you apply become as TSR study and/or university forum helper here: https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/sho...e%20a%20helper
A good day was had by all - well DD and DH anyway. School was dismissive when she said she was going To the offer holders day - the teacher called it "a waste of a day" - so she nearly didn't go. I strongly recommended that she did, given the negative press that the Cambridge vet med course gets, particularly on tsr. When she left this morning she was 90% on putting Cambridge as first choice - the call from the train home was to say she is "definitely firming Cambridge".

I think it is really irresponsible when schools discourage pupils from going to offer days. The only way to get a real feel for the place is to visit and going to Cambridge for the interviews are not reflective of what the course is like and also there are no students around so it is a bit strange as well as stressful! Glad she enjoyed her day and hopefully she will go along to her insurance offer day too. Daughter's Art College moaned continually about her going to open days but the student is going to be at this place for years so it is very important to get it right. Makes no real difference if child's overall attendance is good anyway.
@ReadingMum
Of course she should go to the offer day, it’s important for your daughter to know she is now in their little family along with the joy that she is almost there.

I helped my best friend’s daughter get into Cambridge. They say I am like f’s second mum and all the family invited me along to her offer holder’s day as a special guest! It was magical
Reply 85
Original post by PeteM01
All restaurant hints gratefully accepted!

The Copper Kettle is a Cambridge favourite - opposite King's and therefore can be touristy/busy. But brunch, in particular, is very good.

Also The Varsity was excellent for a posh dinner.

And for the best "sandwiches" in Cambridge: bread & meat - seriously, it's amazing.

The Mill is a good (small) pub, oh and dog friendly.

Honest Burgers is good for, er, burgers. As is Butch Annie's.

Fitzbillies is famous for its Chelsea buns - and deservedly, but they are EXTREMELY sticky!
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 86

That's great news!

VetMed is unusual having a course offer holder day. It sounds like it was worthwhile for them to arrange it :smile:
Original post by Doones
The Copper Kettle is a Cambridge favourite - opposite King's and therefore can be touristy/busy. But brunch, in particular, is very good.

And for the best "sandwiches" in Cambridge: bread & meat - seriously, it's amazing.

Fitzbillies is famous for its Chelsea buns - and deservedly, but they are EXTREMELY sticky!

Thanks Doones we could do with these as son is useless at coming up with suggestions. Too much time spent in Darbar!
Reply 88
Original post by Scotney
Thanks Doones we could do with these as son is useless at coming up with suggestions. Too much time spent in Darbar!

Christ's "renovated" their buttery/bar and it's pretty soulless now :frown:
Original post by Doones
That's great news!

VetMed is unusual having a course offer holder day. It sounds like it was worthwhile for them to arrange it :smile:

It was - good speakers, a more in-depth tour including a bit of cow petting (not a typo), a sample lecture related to something she is currently doing in class and, most importantly, plenty of time to meet the probable cohort and some current students. There were about 50 attendees for a course size of 74.
When she said where she came from someone did ask if I was her Mum (downside of a lack of imagination when I chose the username for another forum).
Reply 90

When she said where she came from someone did ask if I was her Mum (downside of a lack of imagination when I chose the username for another forum).

hahaha!
Reply 91
Original post by Doones

Thanks Doones, that should keep us busy (and fed). I guess where we end up most often will depend on the college allocated. I am still holding out for Porterhouse...
Reply 92
Original post by PeteM01
I am still holding out for Porterhouse...

I loved Tom Sharpe :top:

I think he actually went to Pembroke, but they used Sidney Sussex for the TV version.
It was - good speakers, a more in-depth tour including a bit of cow petting (not a typo), a sample lecture related to something she is currently doing in class and, most importantly, plenty of time to meet the probable cohort and some current students. There were about 50 attendees for a course size of 74.

Oh dear! But so funny! :lol:
Reply 94
Hi ,
I am a newbie on this forum. Would like to know if there is anyone here doing law at Cambridge or Oxford? Asking for my Daughter.
Original post by Kuchi
Hi ,
I am a newbie on this forum. Would like to know if there is anyone here doing law at Cambridge or Oxford? Asking for my Daughter.

You could try looking on the Oxford and Cambridge sub forums

https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=6180194

https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=6343778

Another option would be to start a thread on the Law forum specifically for Oxbridge offers or if you prefer, I could start one for you

https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=28
Original post by Kuchi
Hi ,

Is she thinking of applying. What year is she in? What sort of thing does she want to know.
Maybe I can help a little? But I need more specifics to work with.
Reply 98
There is a Cambridge Law poster on Twitter too, seems to be a second year student
Reply 99
Original post by Kuchi
Hi ,

Hi Kuchi, what do you (and she) want to know more about?

Is she in Year 12 and thinking of applying in October?

One thing, Cambridge open days are in July, and it's a good idea to book ahead.
https://www.undergraduate.study.cam.ac.uk/events/cambridge-open-days

Another thing are the Subject Masterclasses - they are basically tasters. I don't see one for Law yet but they may add one, or she could go to a related topic anyway - History & Politics?
https://www.undergraduate.study.cam.ac.uk/events/masterclasses
(edited 4 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest