The Student Room Group

Wuhan virus could infect 350,000 people by the 4th of February 2020

Mod Edit: For advice, guidance and up-to-date information on Coronavirus/COVID-19, please check out the NHS and UK Government web-pages.

Source: https://twitter.com/JonRead15/status/1220638583893131264?s=20
(edited 4 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

lmao what a load of nonsense. Wouldn't be surprised if Trump himself wrote that.

The R0 is estimated at 1.5 by people on the front lines with access to more information. This document, in contrast, is fearmongering based on sparse information, fallacies, and Orientalism.
Original post by AngeryPenguin
lmao what a load of nonsense. Wouldn't be surprised if Trump himself wrote that.

The R0 is estimated at 1.5 by people on the front lines with access to more information. This document, in contrast, is fearmongering based on sparse information, fallacies, and Orientalism.

The guys who made the study are scientists and I wouldn’t doubt them so easily.
Original post by Thisismyunitsr
The guys who made the study are scientists and I wouldn’t doubt them so easily.

The WHO estimated 1.5 and they are the world leading experts without political and racial bias. They made their estimates based on secret information from the front lines. I trust them more than these supposed "scientists" 1000s of kilometers away relying on sparse and outdated public information.
Reply 4
The prediction is always that these nasty viruses are going to annihilate us. So far it's proved not to be true and our immune systems have a trick or too of their own. I think there are probably greater risks which we readily accept.
'Insert virus is coming here to kill us all'

My reaction first time (swine bird donkey flu Y2K):

My reaction 10th time (ebola):

My reaction now:

(edited 4 years ago)
It’s complete nonsense.

By the 25th of February, it won’t be front page news, and most of us will have forgotten about it.
Load of nonsense.

In 2008-9, 13,000 people died in the UK from flu or flu-related causes. SARS is a pretty poor cousin to bog standard flu.
Every year this happens, first it was BSE, then bird flu, then swine flu, then ebola and now this.
Original post by Trinculo
Load of nonsense.

In 2008-9, 13,000 people died in the UK from flu or flu-related causes. SARS is a pretty poor cousin to bog standard flu.

Original post by CoolCavy
Every year this happens, first it was BSE, then bird flu, then swine flu, then ebola and now this.

It’s a complete nonissue.

In a month or so this will all blow over like the plethora of other viruses we were warned could spell an apocalypse.
Original post by Occitanie
It’s a complete nonissue.

In a month or so this will all blow over like the plethora of other viruses we were warned could spell an apocalypse.

Agreed
They could have named it something better, coronovirus sounds like people get it from getting pissed on Corona
Agreed
They could have named it something better, coronovirus sounds like people get it from getting pissed on Corona

Lmao, funnily enough that’s all I think about when it comes on the news.

My mum, who has 15 odd years under the belt dealing with viruses says that we should shut down London during the winter period, because more people die from influenza than corona.
Reply 12

In fairness they werent exactly wrong about ebola, it is exceptionally deadly and continues to abound in several african countries.
don't wanna be that person but does anyone else not just assume this is classic fear mongering? I mean they do this EVERY. SINGLE. TIME an outbreak happens. first it was mad cow disease then foot-and-mouth then swine flu, then ebola etc yet everyone who famously catches this 'virus' always just says that they had flu like symptoms and - surprise surprise - a week or two later they were better (so basically they had... the flu?)

My own aunties family and a friend from college both were diagnosed with swine flu... but still didn't die from it. and they both said it was just like having a normal cold. I'm pretty sceptical now. Even if you do become ill soon and the doctors tells you its the 'virus' don't freak out too much, just take their advice and let it pass. Something tells me a week or two later you will be feeling back to normal.
Original post by Napp
In fairness they werent exactly wrong about ebola, it is exceptionally deadly and continues to abound in several african countries.

True, ebola is way more scary than this in terms of symptoms. Having said that it hasnt been the massive threat to the west that it was made out to be, here we have the luxury of being able to access water and hygiene which stops it's spread
Original post by heermeet
don't wanna be that person but does anyone else not just assume this is classic fear mongering?

That's literally what nearly everyone in this thread has been doing.
Original post by ozzyoscy
That's literally what nearly everyone in this thread has been doing.

man i really gotta start reading
Reply 17
Literally everyone on the street is wearing a mask today. We do not use public transport when visiting relatives today, to minimise time in public areas.
However, my mock trial tutor did something beneficial to us.
IMG_20200125_165628.jpg
Original post by Napp

I think the point they’re making is that it isn’t as widespread globally as it was suggested to be. It’s remained vastly in Western Africa, has it not?

I’m reading that it started in Guinea, then went on to hit places like Spain, the UK, and even the US but in far, far lower amounts.
(edited 4 years ago)
True, ebola is way more scary than this in terms of symptoms. Having said that it hasnt been the massive threat to the west that it was made out to be, here we have the luxury of being able to access water and hygiene which stops it's spread

As westerners, we should be more worried about influenza than coronavirus.

It’s good to get news from what’s happening in China, and to keep our eyes open, but to blow it out of proportion in such a way is depressing.

Quick Reply

Latest