THEMAN2896
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
I want to apply for a russell group univeristy and do Computer Science but most unis ask for a Grade B in GCSE Maths but i have a C 😔. I was wondering if i should do GCSE Maths or A-level Maths. I feel if i do GCSE Maths all the places in unis will be taken as GCSE Results come a week later after A-Level Results?

What Should I DO????
HxTrinity
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Hello THEMAN2896,
Sorry to hear that you only got a C. However on the brighter side. If you look at Cambridge University, A-Level Computer Science is not actually a requirement. Almost all Russel Groups & Oxbridge require you to have Maths and Further Maths if you're taking the Computer Science Course. I was shocked when I realised that you don't need to have an A-Level In Computer Science when looking at the Requirements Page. However, your Maths must be top Notch for Computer Science.

If you are really passionate about Computer Science then you should try and aim for an 8 or 9 in your GCSE Maths. It's almost a must for Computer Science. They don't really care about anything else (they still do) but maths is so so so so so so so so so important. Also, If you wanna do Computer Science you MUST Take A-Level Maths. A-Level Computer Science is good to have but not a requirement. If you had to choose between A-Level Computing or A-Level Further Maths. Choose A Level Further Maths, Maths is soo important

I wish you all the Best

Hanying Hong (HxTrinity)
John Kunyo
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
If i take alevel maths, computing, chemistry and physics, is there a chance I can get into a russel group university for computer science. I unfortunately didn’t take further maths and I feel there is no hope left.Could I possibly get in.
HxTrinity
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by John Kunyo)
If i take alevel maths, computing, chemistry and physics, is there a chance I can get into a russel group university for computer science. I unfortunately didn’t take further maths and I feel there is no hope left.Could I possibly get in.
Ofc! A-Levels Maths is Needed! But A Level Further Maths is nice to have.

Best of Luck
NNadiaa
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
University of Leeds requires B at gcse and A at comp sci

(Saying this to anyone who thinks that they need to do a level maths)
NNadiaa
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by John Kunyo)
Yes! But 4 a levels is a lot especially that your doing 2 science subjects all you really need is at least a A in comp and a B or A in maths (don’t really need further maths) it really depends what Russel uni you want to go to
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Sheffield Hallam University
    Get into Teaching in South Yorkshire Undergraduate
    Wed, 26 Feb '20
  • The University of Law
    Solicitor Series: Assessing Trainee Skills – LPC, GDL and MA Law - London Moorgate campus Postgraduate
    Wed, 26 Feb '20
  • University of East Anglia
    PGCE Open day Postgraduate
    Sat, 29 Feb '20

People at uni: do initiations (like heavy drinking) put you off joining sports societies?

Yes (476)
66.39%
No (241)
33.61%

Watched Threads