stressed about grade boundaries please help Watch

luna99
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 weeks ago
So I'm taking A Level French this year, and I need an A to get into uni. My other two subjects have pretty typical grade boundaries (like mid-60% to get an A) but I found on the AQA website that it was 79.75% for an A in French last year while the grade boundaries the year before were so much lower (by like 9% which is huge).

I just need some reassurance here lol, does anyone know why there was such a spike in 2019? Was it reflective of easier papers? What are the chances of it being that high this year??

So many questions, please help. I'm stressed.
1st superstar
  • Political Ambassador
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by luna99)
So I'm taking A Level French this year, and I need an A to get into uni. My other two subjects have pretty typical grade boundaries (like mid-60% to get an A) but I found on the AQA website that it was 79.75% for an A in French last year while the grade boundaries the year before were so much lower (by like 9% which is huge).

I just need some reassurance here lol, does anyone know why there was such a spike in 2019? Was it reflective of easier papers? What are the chances of it being that high this year??

maybe cause people did well last year or idk but damn 60%-70% for an A like bro what A-levels are you taking? (for the subjects i do you need like 70%-80% for an A like what?!?)
luna99
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 weeks ago
(Original post by 1st superstar)
maybe cause people did well last year or idk but damn 60%-70% for an A like bro what A-levels are you taking? (for the subjects i do you need like 70%-80% for an A like what?!?)
My other two are geography and biology

I think 80% for an A is crazy tbh lol especially for such a difficult subject
Last edited by luna99; 3 weeks ago
Mona123456
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago

I have no clue, but if those grade boundaries were a one-off in the qualification’s history, it’s likely that in that year, those papers were much easier than past years. Still, regardless of grade boundaries, remember exam boards try and ensure things are standardised across years, so you’ll have the same chance of getting an A as someone who sat the A Level years ago. Like, for Further Maths our teacher said you used to need 90% UMS for an A*, but that was UMS not raw marks, and since doing the new spec papers the grade boundaries now show that around 67% is enough for an A, and 77% ish for an A*. So try not to be put off by grade boundaries if they seem high - this shouldn’t disadvantage you per se, and trust your teachers, if they’ve predicted you an A or you got an A in your mock then you’re working at the right level and just need to keep going. An A should be doable if you keep working and put the effort and time in. And, I would be surprised if the boundaries are that high this year unless the papers are really nice. Just trust that if you’re working at an A grade in school, you have every chance of still getting that in the Summer. Good luck!
1st superstar
  • Political Ambassador
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
My other two are geography and biology

I think 80% for an A is crazy tbh lol
welp for me 60%-70% is like a high C/low B...
tim3
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
do your best, and hopefully you shall be awarded with an A or A*
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Bournemouth University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 19 Feb '20
  • Buckinghamshire New University
    Postgraduate and professional courses Postgraduate
    Wed, 19 Feb '20
  • University of Warwick
    Warwick Business School Postgraduate
    Thu, 20 Feb '20

Has your university offer been reduced?