Toaster started smoking?

Watch
Viennaaxo
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
So I was trying to make toast , using frozen bread. I did press the frozen option. Then when I pressed the eject button , some white gas came out, and it kinda smelled like candle wax? I’m in uni accommodation and the fire alarm didn’t go off, not sure if it was smoke or something else but definitely not normal. Any ideas?
0le
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
By the sounds of it, you could have caused a fire, potentially risking someones life. This is how a house fire starts by the way - faulty appliances or misuse of appliances. First you should ackowledge how serious this could have become. Secondly, you should actually read the instruction manual for your toaster but in this case, isn't it obvious? You are heating solid water (ice) - it is going to melt. Water and electricity is not a good combination...
JoshDarnIt_
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
What kind? Richmond Superkings? Benson and Hedges Gold? Marlboro Gold King Size? Oo oo wait, was it weed?
MidgetFever
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by 0le)
By the sounds of it, you could have caused a fire, potentially risking someones life. This is how a house fire starts by the way - faulty appliances or misuse of appliances. First you should ackowledge how serious this could have become. Secondly, you should actually read the instruction manual for your toaster but in this case, isn't it obvious? You are heating solid water (ice) - it is going to melt. Water and electricity is not a good combination...
Some toasters actually have a defrost function though, if it were going to cause a fire then such a function wouldn't exist.
ghostwalker
  • Study Helper
Badges: 17
Report 1 year ago
If your bread was frozen in a plastic wrapper, it could possibly have had a small bit of plastic stuck to it.
username4986690
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I wouldn't worry about it as long as it still toasts.

(Original post by 0le)
At worst it would trip the switch maybe even blow the fuse in the plug. Really not something to lose your head over.
Chronoscope
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Is there crumbs at the bottom? That probably won't help if there is
Iñigo de Loyola
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
https://www.nhs.uk/live-well/quit-smoking/
Tell your toaster to read this :pierre:
ghostwalker
  • Study Helper
Badges: 17
Report 1 year ago
A quick google suggests oil or grease is a likely cause. Were you frying something at the same time and a bit of oil from you hands got on the bread? Any other way it might have got there?
0le
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by MidgetFever)
Some toasters actually have a defrost function though, if it were going to cause a fire then such a function wouldn't exist.
Learn something new everyday. I'd personally defrost it in the microwave, or better yet, leave it in the fridge overnight.
threeportdrift
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Viennaaxo)
So I was trying to make toast , using frozen bread. I did press the frozen option. Then when I pressed the eject button , some white gas came out, and it kinda smelled like candle wax? I’m in uni accommodation and the fire alarm didn’t go off, not sure if it was smoke or something else but definitely not normal. Any ideas?
  1. Steam - frozen stuff is wet, heat wet stuff get steam
  2. Smoke - toasters create crumbs, heat crumbs get smoke (then fire. Clean your toaster, all it takes is tipping it upside down to empty the crumbs!)
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you made your mind up on your five uni choices?

Yes, and I've sent off my application! (10)
50%
I've made my choices but havent sent my application yet (2)
10%
I've got a good idea about the choices I want to make (3)
15%
I'm researching but still not sure which universities I want to apply to (1)
5%
I haven't started researching yet (1)
5%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (3)
15%

Watched Threads