Im stuck. How do i improve my grades in year 12? Watch

Baby_Mama
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
So yr12s in my school have been given their average mock grades in parents evening and I got a B in maths and Chemistry and a C in Biology. I don't know what to do to improve my grades because I feel like that's my limit. What can I do to get 3 As (or similar) in AS? What are effective ways to revise these 3 subjects and maximise marks in the exam.
Last edited by Baby_Mama; 4 weeks ago
stressed0ut
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
For the sciences (and maths actually), do practice exam questions! They really help me and you can see which bits you’re struggling with. Then go and ask your teachers if you’re struggling massively with a bit. It’s easier to clear small bits up as you go, but really they want to help so whenever you find something that you don’t get I’m sure they’d be willing to help.

Also I’d recommend the CGP revision guides as even though they might not have everything they can take you through the basics of most topics and give you a good head start.

Let me know if you need any more help (Im a y13 doing maths, Further maths chem and physics)
DAMIANLANGFORD
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Do u do physics as well? Because I do exact combination
Baby_Mama
Rep:
?
(Original post by DAMIANLANGFORD)
Do u do physics as well? Because I do exact combination
Nah just bio,chem and maths not physics.
Baby_Mama
Rep:
?
(Original post by stressed0ut)
For the sciences (and maths actually), do practice exam questions! They really help me and you can see which bits you’re struggling with. Then go and ask your teachers if you’re struggling massively with a bit. It’s easier to clear small bits up as you go, but really they want to help so whenever you find something that you don’t get I’m sure they’d be willing to help.

Also I’d recommend the CGP revision guides as even though they might not have everything they can take you through the basics of most topics and give you a good head start.

Let me know if you need any more help (Im a y13 doing maths, Further maths chem and physics)
Alright exam questions and CGP revision guides. (what would you do if you already use the guides and already do practice questions )
Hiro2468
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago

What would you recommend I do right now for maths? Especially stats? I have a big progress test on Monday and I can't afford to fail this time.
stressed0ut
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by Baby_Mama)
Alright exam questions and CGP revision guides. (what would you do if you already use the guides and already do practice questions )
Sometimes it takes a while for stuff to properly click? I use dr frost as well it has powerpoints and videos and stuff. Also search whatever you’re struggling with on YouTube and you may find a video tutorial to help!
stressed0ut
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by Hiro2468)
What would you recommend I do right now for maths? Especially stats? I have a big progress test on Monday and I can't afford to fail this time.
For Stats, I’d suggest for the topics where it’s just learning stuff (like sampling) make flashcards but if you’re struggling for time maybe wait until after your big test. For the probability sections do a few questions, there’s only a certain number of combos they can ask (so learning things like independent and mutually exclusive events is good as I’ve seen a few times where that’s come up). How much have you covered?
Hiro2468
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
For Stats, I’d suggest for the topics where it’s just learning stuff (like sampling) make flashcards but if you’re struggling for time maybe wait until after your big test. For the probability sections do a few questions, there’s only a certain number of combos they can ask (so learning things like independent and mutually exclusive events is good as I’ve seen a few times where that’s come up). How much have you covered?
I'm in year 12 so it's probably not a lot of content but it's up to vectors for pure and hypothetical testing for stats. For me personally, I don't really know how much I've covered in terms of revision as I've started doing the review questions.
rayestar
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
This is what I did to get my AS level Physics grade C to an A in A2 Physics. I think it will benefit you since most sciences seem to be similar in terms of revision, especially Physics and Chemistry.

Do all the exam paper questions. If you get a question wrong, write the question and mark scheme in a notebook. Or if you printed the exam paper, just file it somewhere. So then you have a bunch of questions you got wrong that you can read when you are bored. I read through my notebook everyday on my way to sixth form on the bus.
Questions tend to be repeated often so memorising the mark scheme is the best way to quickly improve grades.
If you're struggling on the maths side, sit down with a teacher one-to-one when they're available and go through a few questions on one topic. Ask ALL questions that come up on your mind so you know everything step-by-step and why you're doing each step. Then you won't feel like you're on a wobbly bridge when you come to answer them yourselves.
Also, if you struggle on the Physics theory concept, ask the teacher to explain it to you, however many times it may take.

This is what I did, I don't know if this method will work well for everyone, but I just wanted to share my tips with you.
Wish you luck!
cba2thinkofauser
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by rayestar)
This is what I did to get my AS level Physics grade C to an A in A2 Physics. I think it will benefit you since most sciences seem to be similar in terms of revision, especially Physics and Chemistry.

Do all the exam paper questions. If you get a question wrong, write the question and mark scheme in a notebook. Or if you printed the exam paper, just file it somewhere. So then you have a bunch of questions you got wrong that you can read when you are bored. I read through my notebook everyday on my way to sixth form on the bus.
Questions tend to be repeated often so memorising the mark scheme is the best way to quickly improve grades.
If you're struggling on the maths side, sit down with a teacher one-to-one when they're available and go through a few questions on one topic. Ask ALL questions that come up on your mind so you know everything step-by-step and why you're doing each step. Then you won't feel like you're on a wobbly bridge when you come to answer them yourselves.
Also, if you struggle on the Physics theory concept, ask the teacher to explain it to you, however many times it may take.

This is what I did, I don't know if this method will work well for everyone, but I just wanted to share my tips with you.
Wish you luck!
I got a C in physics for AS too! I find that past papers don’t really help me because I don’t really know the content like really well, I’m thinking of revising each topic and then doing past paper questions if and when I have time. I honestly don’t know what else I can do because I’ve been getting consistent C’s.
entertainmyfaith
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
practice questions for maths, physics and maths tutor, mathsgenie and alevelmathsrevision.com are all good resources.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Sheffield Hallam University
    Get into Teaching in South Yorkshire Undergraduate
    Wed, 26 Feb '20
  • The University of Law
    Solicitor Series: Assessing Trainee Skills – LPC, GDL and MA Law - London Moorgate campus Postgraduate
    Wed, 26 Feb '20
  • University of East Anglia
    PGCE Open day Postgraduate
    Sat, 29 Feb '20

People at uni: do initiations (like heavy drinking) put you off joining sports societies?

Yes (532)
66.75%
No (265)
33.25%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed