Why do people choose not to drive Watch

Dont know01
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
(Original post by RichPiana)
I’ve been driving for nearly 6 years now and my insurance is now less than £400 for a 15 plate golf. In the short run insurance is expensive but once you’re experienced enough the cost of insurance isn’t that bad. I also have no idea where you’d be going to pay £500 for MOT and servicing. I can get them done for a combined total of around £150.

To answer OPs question, it depends on a range of factors:
- Cost: This is probably the single most important reason. However, there are solutions for this e.g. financing and paying monthly for insurance rather than a whole year up front.
- Time: Some people are just busy with education/work. Again, there are ways around this. I spent a lot of the free time I had gaining experience by driving with a family member. This saved me a lot of money on instructor costs and it was more flexible since I’m not restricted to whenever the instructor was available. I could go for a drive with a family member at 9-10pm if I wanted to, or any other time we were free.
- Laziness: There are some people who genuinely can’t be bothered. It’s just too much effort for them and they’d just much rather take the bus or train. I know a few people who can’t be bothered simply because their mates have a car and whenever they need a lift they just ask them for a lift.
-Location: Have you ever driven in London? It’s often a nightmare.

I do believe, however, that it’s a good skill to at least be able to drive. Even if you’re not planning on buying a car it is still handy to know that you can drive, so that in the future if you do require the use of a car then you don’t have to worry about waiting for someone to pick you up or waiting an hour for the bus to come. I remember a month or so back I went to the club with my mates when my car was in the garage for repair, and my mates ended up having too much to drink. It was an absolute nightmare getting them home cause the buses weren’t running and most taxis wouldn’t take us simply wouldn’t take us. It’s times like that when having a car on hand is very useful.
Yep its expensive but it goes cheaper public transport is just so bad unless you live in london. That is really good for a 15 plate golf
barnetlad
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I am less than ten minutes walk from the tube station and have several bus routes nearby.
holly6901
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Dont know01)
Fair enough
I also live near London so I can get anywhere I need plus I have a disabled freedom pass so it's free
lizzyuk
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
There's a number of reasons:
I've been in a car crash (years ago) and it wasn't my parents' fault and I've learnt that as much as I can control my driving I can't control others.
At the moment, I'm at uni and the place I live is literally 10 minutes from town and campus walking, and there's little to no point having a car over the next few years while at uni.
By taking public transport or walking, it helps save the environment and reduce C02 emissions.
I will probably learn to drive in the next few years at least to say I've done it, and if I move out of a town or city then I can get places without much hassle.
RichPiana
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Dont know01)
Yep its expensive but it goes cheaper public transport is just so bad unless you live in london. That is really good for a 15 plate golf
I only ever use the tube in London if I’m spending a day there going around to different places since I can get a day travel card. Saves me having to sit in traffic for half the day. In just 2-3 years your insurance drops dramatically (assuming you don’t have an accident and end up putting in a claim).
ThuggerThugger
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Gent2324)
i mean you kind of answered the question in the first post.
i dont have a car because i can get everywhere i need to get to with public transport and i also dont really care about having a car to show off and just drive around
Have you passed your driving test though?
MiaNova
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by sinfonietta)
I grew-up in a household without a car. We always managed perfectly fine between walking and public transport. I don't see any need to drive.
^ this
Gent2324
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by ThuggerThugger)
Have you passed your driving test though?
yes
londonmyst
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Lots of possible reasons not connected to the usual financial ones.
Some people have vehophobia, get carsick, are prone to road range, can't handle being stuck in traffic, don't have access to a garage or parking space.
A few people have a religious objection to driving a car or their family traditions heavily frown upon it.
CoolCavy
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Atm it is cost for me, it is just unaffordable.
There is also safety, i am no longer blocked from learning to drive by my psychiatrist (my provisional eventually came after a year and a half) however i still don't think it would be the best idea for me to be hurtling about in a metal box. Put simply i think i would be dangerous to myself.
nathan_nacu
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by AmazingPhysicist)
Absolutely true, the underground trains are fast (especially the central, victoria, jubilee and metropolitan lines) and reliable (most of the time. TFL updates their status regularly so people can check if they need to replan their journey). Traffic in London is just awful, especially during rush hour. When I need to commute to my uni in london, I get the underground because it's fast.
Exactly
Deggs_14
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Because paying for driving lessons, a car and insurance is bloody expensive thank you, and some people can’t afford that (like me)
Admit-One
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I was in my mid-thirties before I learnt to drive. I grew up in a reasonably large city and had unlimited bus travel for £50 for a month. It saved me a spectacular amount of money and I owned property before I bought a car.

For many, the cost and stress just doesn’t outweigh the convenience it brings.
Dont know01
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
(Original post by CoolCavy)
Atm it is cost for me, it is just unaffordable.
There is also safety, i am no longer blocked from learning to drive by my psychiatrist (my provisional eventually came after a year and a half) however i still don't think it would be the best idea for me to be hurtling about in a metal box. Put simply i think i would be dangerous to myself.
Sorry about that
Capitalist_Lamb
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by sinfonietta)
I grew-up in a household without a car. We always managed perfectly fine between walking and public transport. I don't see any need to drive.
Public transport is super expensive where I live and is one of the main reason I wanted to learn to drive actually, as well as having the freedom. Let's say I wanted to get the bus to work and back (3-5 miles each way) would cost me £3.50, so $7.00 and then I was to go see my gf that same day it would be another £7.00 so that's £14 for that one day. That might not sound like a lot to some but where I live it is quite expensive for young people.
Capitalist_Lamb
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Admit-One)
I was in my mid-thirties before I learnt to drive. I grew up in a reasonably large city and had unlimited bus travel for £50 for a month. It saved me a spectacular amount of money and I owned property before I bought a car.

For many, the cost and stress just doesn’t outweigh the convenience it brings.
£50 a month is cheap. Where I live it's around £100 for a month and that's just crazy expensive for a student each month.
black tea
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
My main reason is that it means I get some exercise. I do use public transport but I still end up doing a good chunk of walking every day, which I wouldn't if I drove everywhere. I also like the fact that I can do stuff on the bus, whereas in the car I would just sit there feeling annoyed about the time I am wasting sitting in a traffic jam. I also like that I don't have to worry about the car breaking down, and that I am causing less harm to the environment.
adam271
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by StriderHort)
Oh I didn't pay it, I have a local garage that I trust far more who did it for 150 odd (didn't need an MOT though) ..but it depends how much you care about the service history being all dealer or not I suppose, and that's the kind of thing that annoyingly comes up if you need to make an insurance claim
I think £500 is a fair guide of the cost of servicing a car.
Because over the life of a car you will have to replace brakes/tyres and other unexpected repairs (eg. clutch).
For £150 you can get a MOT and a basic service with oil change but not much else.
BlueIndigoViolet
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
London's transport infrastructure is amazing - literally the Tube, buses etc. to anywhere in London - so many choose not to here

(can be expensive though, but the costs associated with driving I would argue are higher)
skent6
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Honestly I live in the middle of the countryside and there isn’t a bus route at all. Learning to drive is a must for me and I’m so glad I passed my test before Christmas and the same goes for people in rural areas. I understand if a city has good transport links then there’s not a need to drive now but, unless there’s going to be transport links wherever you live, driving is something most of us will need
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you get study leave?

Yes- I like it (497)
59.81%
Yes- I don't like it (43)
5.17%
No- I want it (235)
28.28%
No- I don't want it (56)
6.74%

Watched Threads