Why do people choose not to drive Watch

alees1991
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Didn't want to at the beginning. I was within walking distance to everywhere and I didn't feel like I wanted to become lazy and get a car. Decided when my nephew was born that I needed to learn, I didn't have a job out of uni so couldn't afford to learn and when I got my full-time job and had paid off debt, I learnt and passed first time. Now I don't know how I could live without it, I haven't become lazy and still walk to work occasionally and rarely use the car at the weekend unless I'm seeing friends or have plans. I now go to the gym more as it's more accessible before work so I'm still keeping active on days I do use the car.

Wish I'd learnt at 17 but I am behind the curve on a lot of things so I guess that's my life.
HRobson_BMC
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
I've tried to learn but I'm genuinely no good at it, and beyond that I'm terrified of an accident (the medical, legal, and financial implications). Furthermore I don't have the time or the money to waste 4 years and upwards of £6,000 on learning. I know that I need to eventually, I've never much cared about 'freedom' but having no license will make it almost impossible for be to get a job in future.
SoftGingerCat
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Although I am currently learning to drive, I don't want to. My parents want me to and are pushing me to do it but I know one day I'm going to look back and thank them for it but today is not that day. I absolutely hate driving with a passion and I really struggle with the theory but I guess it could be worse, I could have parents that don't support me and have to get buses the rest of my life~
alees1991
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by SoftGingerCat)
Although I am currently learning to drive, I don't want to. My parents want me to and are pushing me to do it but I know one day I'm going to look back and thank them for it but today is not that day. I absolutely hate driving with a passion and I really struggle with the theory but I guess it could be worse, I could have parents that don't support me and have to get buses the rest of my life~
This was my friend, she never wanted to drive but her parents paid for her lessons and her car when she passed. She still hates driving but does appreciate the fact she can get from A to B easily. When you grow older, you will see the benefit of driving. No one says you have to love it but it does help you get places.
DiddyDec
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
I have held a license for 8 years and never owned a car, I have no need as I walk to work and get the train anywhere else I need to go.
ThuggerThugger
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by DiddyDecAlt)
I have held a license for 8 years and never owned a car, I have no need as I walk to work and get the train anywhere else I need to go.
Do you recon you could jump in car and drive
DiddyDec
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by ThuggerThugger)
I drove a Gator last weekend without issue so probably.
ThuggerThugger
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
I drove a Gator last weekend without issue so probably.
So you do have need for a car... you just don’t own one.
DiddyDec
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
So you do have need for a car... you just don’t own one.
No, I was helping out on a farm and that is the farm vehicle. Can't exactly check on the sheep in a Corsa.
Dont know01
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
It takes time and effort but id say its fully worth it because when you get the full licence and are driving around it will be a good feeling
ThuggerThugger
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by Dont know01)
It takes time and effort but id say its fully worth it because when you get the full licence and are driving around it will be a good feeling
I drive already cant say its that enjoyable its a means to an end
ThuggerThugger
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
No, I was helping out on a farm and that is the farm vehicle. Can't exactly check on the sheep in a Corsa.
I lasso horses in my corsa
Dont know01
Rep:
?
I drive already cant say its that enjoyable its a means to an end
What car do you drive? Your car might be something that isnt fun to drive also it deend on the person coz I enjoy driving in my lessons
ThuggerThugger
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by Dont know01)
What car do you drive? Your car might be something that isnt fun to drive also it deend on the person coz I enjoy driving in my lessons
Corsa 08 1.4, doubt the experience would be any better in a BMW, driving is driving at the end of the day. Its all fun in lessons but when you get out on your own you are in control and every other driver is a suspect.
Dont know01
Rep:
?
Corsa 08 1.4, doubt the experience would be any better in a BMW, driving is driving at the end of the day. Its all fun in lessons but when you get out on your own you are in control and every other driver is a suspect.
My famliy and friends enjoy driving so it must depend on the person. Like we go out for drives just for fun
StriderHort
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Corsa 08 1.4, doubt the experience would be any better in a BMW,
Just my opinion, but there's a huge difference. I have zero good memories of driving my Corsa, but absolutely love my older Audi & Merc and will take them out for the sheer joy of doing so.

I was normally up and out for work at the back of 6 and a fun car makes that sooooo much better.
Dont know01
Rep:
?
(Original post by StriderHort)
Just my opinion, but there's a huge difference. I have zero good memories of driving my Corsa, but absolutely love my older Audi & Merc and will take them out for the sheer joy of doing so.

I was normally up and out for work at the back of 6 and a fun car makes that sooooo much better.
Yep
tacobeth
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
haven’t needed to, besides, my environmental anxiety would kill me if i started learning to drive and constantly over revved the engine and stalled lmao
Dont know01
Rep:
?
(Original post by tacobeth)
haven’t needed to, besides, my environmental anxiety would kill me if i started learning to drive and constantly over revved the engine and stalled lmao
Oh
ThuggerThugger
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by StriderHort)

So how is it more enjoyable?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you get study leave?

Yes- I like it (496)
59.76%
Yes- I don't like it (43)
5.18%
No- I want it (235)
28.31%
No- I don't want it (56)
6.75%

Watched Threads