Low confidence Watch

Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 3 weeks ago
Hey. Does anyone have any tips for helping to build my confidence?
DR.DOOM
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
I hope this can give you some motivation but I don't know what kind of confidence you are asking for. This was a thing I wrote for those who aren't that confident: https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/sho...252&highlight=
SkyRunner61
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Fake it till you make it
Hiro2468
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by SkyRunner61)
Fake it till you make it
A beautiful quote that I try my best to live by
florencemary
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Don't set or focus on what you want to achieve. Focus on what you have achieved now. Be it a job, school, family, friends or yourself. If you set goals for the future they focus you but they focus you on the future and your not their yet. You need to be happy now and look at what you have now. Hope you're okay.
mstevens01
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
be conscious of your actions and body language. I know self consciousness can be destroying, but if you are taking a note of your actions, you can change them fairly easily with a little thought
Old Skool Freak
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
Hey. Does anyone have any tips for helping to build my confidence?
For starters, you could try asking the right questions.... People in your position always ask "How can I get confident?" instead of "Why am I not confident?"

Self confidence isn't a 'One size fit's all' type thing... it's a complex product of ones innate personalty, the life you've led and the challenges you're facing now or likely to in the future. Back to the right questions... what has happened in your life to rob you of your self-confidence, and where do you want to see your confidence improved?

I appreciate it's said with the best intentions...but I don't really like the "fake it till you make it" philosophy. If may work in the short term (or even long-term)... but it only takes one person to (either accidentally or maliciously) tap into some of your deep routed insecurities, and you can be in a far worse situation than if you hadn't bothered. Besides, I'm a firm believer in tackling things at their root cause.

Think about that children's song about the wise man who built his house on the rocks and the foolish man who built his house on the sand.
Spanx
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Flash a bit of boob and a bit of leg and you're there. This tip works equally well for boys and girls...no sexist advice from me!
SkyRunner61
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by Old Skool Freak)
For starters, you could try asking the right questions.... People in your position always ask "How can I get confident?" instead of "Why am I not confident?"

Self confidence isn't a 'One size fit's all' type thing... it's a complex product of ones innate personalty, the life you've led and the challenges you're facing now or likely to in the future. Back to the right questions... what has happened in your life to rob you of your self-confidence, and where do you want to see your confidence improved?

I appreciate it's said with the best intentions...but I don't really like the "fake it till you make it" philosophy. If may work in the short term (or even long-term)... but it only takes one person to (either accidentally or maliciously) tap into some of your deep routed insecurities, and you can be in a far worse situation than if you hadn't bothered. Besides, I'm a firm believer in tackling things at their root cause.

Think about that children's song about the wise man who built his house on the rocks and the foolish man who built his house on the sand.
Said as the person who said that exact line above, I’ve never thought of it that way, so that’s really interesting to me.

For me at least, confidence builds up by being put (or putting myself) into situations where it’s essentially required so acting the part is advised. Maybe it’s also because I have a bad autobiographical memory, so the sting of bad things fades fairly quickly whereas I at least document the good things that happen in my life
Old Skool Freak
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by SkyRunner61)
Said as the person who said that exact line above, I’ve never thought of it that way, so that’s really interesting to me.
Always good to have another perspective on thing innit

For me at least, confidence builds up by being put (or putting myself) into situations where it’s essentially required so acting the part is advised. Maybe it’s also because I have a bad autobiographical memory, so the sting of bad things fades fairly quickly whereas I at least document the good things that happen in my life]
Well I don't know the exact situations you put yourself in, so I can't comment any further on your situations. By all means carry on with what you're doing... but for your own sake, bear in mind what I've said.

And yes, it's a very good outlook on life to focus on the positive experiences (a la "The Glass is 1/2 Full"). Just a shame things like the news, social media etc. always seem to focus on the negatives..
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

People at uni: do initiations (like heavy drinking) put you off joining sports societies?

Yes (172)
66.93%
No (85)
33.07%

Watched Threads