zodisagoddess21
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 weeks ago
so i might have made a huge mistake applying this year through ucas. i want to take a gap year and then reapply next year, the problem is i already have offers and stuff. what can i do? do i just leave it and reapply completely next year? how do i move forward?
username5130140
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
First of all: what do you mean by 'a huge mistake'?
Why do you want to re-apply?

I would also advise you to think again about a gap year and make sure that you know you really want to take one. It is absolutely fine to take a year out before going to university, but I know people who took one for slightly wrong reasons and have regretted it.

Don't worry about the application, I think you can withdraw it and I will tag someone who knows more than me (PQ ). And you can make an entirely new application in September-January.
zodisagoddess21
Rep:
?
(Original post by NotInTheMood!)

I would also advise you to think again about a gap year and make sure that you know you really want to take one. It is absolutely fine to take a year out before going to university, but I know people who took one for slightly wrong reasons and have regretted it.

Don't worry about the application, I think you can withdraw it and I will tag someone who knows more than me (PQ ). And you can make an entirely new application in September-January.
i just don't feel ready and i have plans to just use the gap year to work and work on myself a bit before i go into uni. i didn't think it was such a big deal until recently and it's just overwhelming and obvious I'm not ready yet. i don't think I'll regret it, i have been applying for some apprenticeships that i think would really be beneficial for me in the gap year. thank you
zodisagoddess21
Rep:
?
(Original post by NotInTheMood!)

hi i tried to pm (@PQ) and it said the user wasn't found, does the person have another @ i can reach them on

edit:
nevermind i made a mistake
Last edited by zodisagoddess21; 3 weeks ago
HappyGal
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by zodisagoddess21)
i just don't feel ready and i have plans to just use the gap year to work and work on myself a bit before i go into uni. i didn't think it was such a big deal until recently and it's just overwhelming and obvious I'm not ready yet. i don't think I'll regret it, i have been applying for some apprenticeships that i think would really be beneficial for me in the gap year. thank you
I don't know if this is possible but you might be able to contact the university you prefer and ask for a defered place. This would let you have your gap year and then you would know you had a place without applying again. Just have ready your reasons for requesting a gap year, putting money away for travel or accommodation costs is a responsible reason.
username5130140
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
hi i tried to pm (@PQ) and it said the user wasn't found, does the person have another @ i can reach them on

edit:
nevermind i made a mistake
Don't worry, there are plenty of users who will be willing to help you. I just tag people because I am impatient and like help as soon as I can get it.
username5130140
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Perfect. These are honestly valid reasons, I was just checking because a friend of mine ended up taking an unplanned gap year quite late because she wanted to get into a better RS uni and didn't plan the gap year and is therefore regretting it. You sound like you have things planned and I think you will find this year quite useful. Best of luck! xx
ProbablyPallas
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Hey, you can try contacting UCAS and see if they can defer for you, and if they can't just phone the universities and ask if they'll carry your offers forward, should be no need to reapply.
username5130140
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Just another thing:

- When you re-apply, will your school be willing to let you apply through them?
Make sure that are okay with this, otherwise finding a referee can be really hard. Good luck with future plans!
Admit-One
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
If you are happy with the offers you have received, but just not the entry year, then contact the Uni’s directly and request to defer. They’ll most likely be okay with this.

If you want to submit new applications next cycle, then you can’t be holding a deferred offer, so you’ll just need to decline all your offers and then reapply in due course.
zodisagoddess21
Rep:
?
Admit-One ProbablyPallas
HappyGal
NotInTheMood!
thank you guys so much for replying and giving me really good advice, i really appreciate it.
username5130140
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Admit-One ProbablyPallas
HappyGal
NotInTheMood!
thank you guys so much for replying and giving me really good advice, i really appreciate it.
No worries at all!

And I am sorry if I came across a little negative initially. If it helps, I am on one too and I think it definitely was the right decision for me. If you need any help in the future, let me know and I might be able to help because I have gone through the practical sides of things after A-levels. X
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Warwick
    Warwick Business School Postgraduate
    Thu, 20 Feb '20
  • St George's, University of London
    Postgrad open day Postgraduate
    Thu, 20 Feb '20
  • University of Hertfordshire
    All Subjects Undergraduate
    Sat, 22 Feb '20

People at uni: do initiations (like heavy drinking) put you off joining sports societies?

Yes (225)
67.57%
No (108)
32.43%

Watched Threads