The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Motomoto101
Can this virus be fixed .. or will they get it under control , is anything being done ??

Early signs so we don't know enough about it
Reply 2
If they stop travelling it can be contained but unfortunately people are selfish so it’s unknown how it will turnout. Measures should have been taken at the start in December to prevent the outbreak. At the moment those dying are older or have other health conditions however if the virus mutates then it could be more deadly for the general population. Besides it would be wrong to downplay it as even if it is only fatal to a minority these people don’t deserve to suffer due to measures not being taken.
Reply 3
Original post by Em.-.
If they stop travelling it can be contained but unfortunately people are selfish so it’s unknown how it will turnout. Measures should have been taken at the start in December to prevent the outbreak. At the moment those dying are older or have other health conditions however if the virus mutates then it could be more deadly for the general population. Besides it would be wrong to downplay it as even if it is only fatal to a minority these people don’t deserve to suffer due to measures not being taken.

I’m travelling tomo at an airport , should I be worried about it
Reply 4
Original post by Motomoto101
I’m travelling tomo at an airport , should I be worried about it

Depends if you’re travelling to an affected area.
Reply 5
the last two similar virus were self limiting. sars, and mers. with a little luck this will burn out. however we are due a pandemic.swine flu had the contagion levels but it did not have the fatality levels expected of spanish flu. it will happen just when and from where who knows.
Original post by Em.-.

The flu also kills people yet no one seems so paranoid about it.
Reply 7
Original post by Anonymous
The flu also kills people yet no one seems so paranoid about it.

The common flu has a lower mortality rate and as it’s been found in humans for a long time more is understood about it so there are more methods to treat it. The new virus could mutate as it is transferred between humans becoming more deadly. Some varieties of the flu / Coronavirus can be very dangerous however they are not spreading like this new virus at the moment. When there was an outbreak of the swine flu a decade ago this killed a fair number of people though I don’t think it was as deadly as this virus.
If there was a serious outbreak of another flu people would be paranoid about it. The common flu just isn’t as serious and there are methods of treating it and preventing it.
Original post by Em.-.
The common flu has a lower mortality rate and as it’s been found in humans for a long time more is understood about it so there are more methods to treat it. The new virus could mutate as it is transferred between humans becoming more deadly. Some varieties of the flu / Coronavirus can be very dangerous however they are not spreading like this new virus at the moment. When there was an outbreak of the swine flu a decade ago this killed a fair number of people though I don’t think it was as deadly as this virus.
If there was a serious outbreak of another flu people would be paranoid about it. The common flu just isn’t as serious and there are methods of treating it and preventing it.

The common flu can be serious to certain groups of people, which is why some people are vaccinated against it. There is no way of treating it other than supportive measures as there is no evidence that Tamiflu reduced the risk of complications, and it's complications rather than the virus itself that kills people.

This new virus is no different to other viruses - all of them mutate, including the common cold, but that doesn't mean that they become deadly. The reason it's spreading fast is that we have no immunity to it at all, but if you are healthy, you will likely recover just fine like you would from any upper respiratory tract infection.

There is an outbreak like this every few years, and the people who die in them are people with health problems and the elderly, so the same populations that die from the flu. Most people who catch the viruses are absolutely fine.
Reply 9
The common flu can be serious to certain groups of people, which is why some people are vaccinated against it. There is no way of treating it other than supportive measures as there is no evidence that Tamiflu reduced the risk of complications, and it's complications rather than the virus itself that kills people.

This new virus is no different to other viruses - all of them mutate, including the common cold, but that doesn't mean that they become deadly. The reason it's spreading fast is that we have no immunity to it at all, but if you are healthy, you will likely recover just fine like you would from any upper respiratory tract infection.

There is an outbreak like this every few years, and the people who die in them are people with health problems and the elderly, so the same populations that die from the flu. Most people who catch the viruses are absolutely fine.

Spreading of this virus was preventable and just because some people are more vulnerable doesn’t mean the risk to them should be ignored. If a new virus emerges in humans, which as you said we have no immunity to, measures should be taken as soon as possible as it’s better to have tried and it turned out to be relatively harmless than to ignore it and have the result of a pandemic.

In this case the virus was given to humans by the ignorance of people running illegal markets and eating ridiculous food even after the sars outbreak which had an 11% fatality rate (well, of reported deaths).

I’m hopeful it won’t spread in the U.K. like sars didn’t (only 4 known cases) however it may be too late to prevent this. It’s best to stop it as soon as possible just in case any mutations do become more harmful since the virus has only just started infecting humans.
Original post by Em.-.
Spreading of this virus was preventable and just because some people are more vulnerable doesn’t mean the risk to them should be ignored. If a new virus emerges in humans, which as you said we have no immunity to, measures should be taken as soon as possible as it’s better to have tried and it turned out to be relatively harmless than to ignore it and have the result of a pandemic.

In this case the virus was given to humans by the ignorance of people running illegal markets and eating ridiculous food even after the sars outbreak which had an 11% fatality rate (well, of reported deaths).

I’m hopeful it won’t spread in the U.K. like sars didn’t (only 4 known cases) however it may be too late to prevent this. It’s best to stop it as soon as possible just in case any mutations do become more harmful since the virus has only just started infecting humans.

It is very difficult to prevent the spread of any virus. The problem here is your anxiety rather than reality, by the sounds of things.
I’m just worried because people are reacting so extremely towards it, even in the UK. I watched an interview on This Morning earlier today and an expert in the field claimed that people are avoiding going to crowded places and even carrying on with their every day life, as though it will get to the point where we have to confine ourselves to our households? I honestly didn’t bat an eyelid at it, but now I’m nervous to take the bus in case I come into contact with someone who had it and it’s unbeknown to them. Oh well, hopefully it will die down soon.
I’m just worried because people are reacting so extremely towards it, even in the UK. I watched an interview on This Morning earlier today and an expert in the field claimed that people are avoiding going to crowded places and even carrying on with their every day life, as though it will get to the point where we have to confine ourselves to our households? I honestly didn’t bat an eyelid at it, but now I’m nervous to take the bus in case I come into contact with someone who had it and it’s unbeknown to them. Oh well, hopefully it will die down soon.

That's just panic and lack of understanding. Don't avoid going out because of how other people are reacting. This is just a bug, and if you are healthy, you will likely be absolutely fine even if you were to catch it.
That's just panic and lack of understanding. Don't avoid going out because of how other people are reacting. This is just a bug, and if you are healthy, you will likely be absolutely fine even if you were to catch it.

Thanks I don’t intend to, it’s just when an expert says it it kinda dawns on your mind haha.
Reply 14
It is very difficult to prevent the spread of any virus. The problem here is your anxiety rather than reality, by the sounds of things.

Well this virus has an incubation period that can range 1 to 14 days and during this time it is infectious. This was not even the case with SARS, which was still pretty bad. The number of known cases has risen to 2000 whereas yesterday it was around 1300.

Since someone could be infectious up to two weeks before symptoms appear, the only way to prevent the spread of the virus would be to ban public transport from affected areas (as China eventually did), although if any of the people who have already travelled have brought the virus with them it may be too late anyway.

So little is known about this virus and what could happen if it mutates. China has stated its ability to spread is in fact getting stronger. It could end up staying at the same mortality rate or it could become a lot more dangerous, but it’s best not to take risks (besides just because people at risk are currently in the minority doesn’t mean their health should be ignored).

The Common cold is cured by most people's immune system without much hassle. It mutates every year, but a large portion of its genetic code is still within the same viral family, so it's not too big a setback for our immune System including the elderly as they would've gotten some variant of the common cold when they were younger so their immune response is just as fast now. The fatalities from the Common Cold are from people that have already had compromised immune systems thanks to other conditions.

Coronavirus can be fatal even if you have a healthy immune system.

nCoronavirus crossed over from another species, our immune system has absolutely close to no familiarity with it. You have to remember while it heralds from the same lineage as SARS, a lot of people managed to avoid catching SARS altogether so if you were to catch Novel Coronavirus it's the first time your body will be dealing with something within the Coronavirus family. Which means there's a bigger delay in the immune response to make the relevant antibodies.

The wait for the antibodies, is what kills you as in some people's cases, the antibodies are made too late and by that time Coronavirus has done a lot of damage. It all depends on how fast your body responds to a viral threat.
Original post by Popsiclez
The Common cold is cured by most people's immune system without much hassle. It mutates every year, but a large portion of its genetic code is still within the same viral family, so it's not too big a setback for our immune System including the elderly as they would've gotten some variant of the common cold when they were younger so their immune response is just as fast now. The fatalities from the Common Cold are from people that have already had compromised immune systems thanks to other conditions.

Coronavirus can be fatal even if you have a healthy immune system.

nCoronavirus crossed over from another species, our immune system has absolutely close to no familiarity with it. You have to remember while it heralds from the same lineage as SARS, a lot of people managed to avoid catching SARS altogether so if you were to catch Novel Coronavirus it's the first time your body will be dealing with something within the Coronavirus family. Which means there's a bigger delay in the immune response to make the relevant antibodies.

The wait for the antibodies, is what kills you as in some people's cases, the antibodies are made too late and by that time Coronavirus has done a lot of damage. It all depends on how fast your body responds to a viral threat.

Lots of colds are cause by coronaviruses lol. I work in a hospital lab and like a third of the throat swabs we get find a coronavirus. So you are talking rubbish, I'm afraid.
The main concern is that China had severely underplayed the extent to which the disease had already spread. Regardless of its low mortality rate or no, it is definitely more infectious than previous incidences of other coronavirus outbreaks and ebola in 2014 (which was less infectious, higher mortality). Given also that its incubation period can be up to a fortnight before symptoms present, it can be quite difficult to discern whether or not you have caught the disease until it's too late-and then you too will have spread it further.

But to be honest, we are MOST LIKELY FINE. It does appear that the situation is spiralling a little out of control in China-my parents are Chinese living the UK but we are getting messages from friends and family describing how no one is basically leaving the apartments now and all the supermarkets are completely empty as prices start rising. They have shut down multiple cities almost entirely-in Beijing, all the major attractions like the Forbidden Palace, Temple of Heaven are all closed. Entire transport networks like the bus or tube have been halted. Cases are popping up in every city now-plus deaths not just in Hubei province. Also there is great concern that the actual number of cases could be 2-3 times higher than what China is reporting, given this time last week there were only according to them 300 or so cases and no deaths, and here we are with 56 deaths and 2000 cases. Chinese media are reporting it like they reported SARS back in the day, as if they're going to war with guns and tanks (when they 'defeated' SARS back in 2003 state media reported winning a 'decisive victory' against the SARS. Huzzah indeed.)

We're most likely safe in the UK though. Just to be cautious however I'm carrying around my sunglasses and a gas mask I have from last time I went to China (for the air pollution, not for the disease. Multiple uses I guess!) Given mortality rate is low, even in the very unlikely chance that you did get the disease, you will most likely be fine, given we live in a more advanced nation with fewer people to support.

tl:dr we're probably fine, just be on the lookout.
China is probably lying about how much the virus has spread. Most likely around 10,000 people have been affected because doctors and nurses have been posting online but soon getting removed after using a VPN. We dont know for now but try to keep safe by being hygienic and avoiding contact.
Original post by LadySnowhawk
The main concern is that China had severely underplayed the extent to which the disease had already spread. Regardless of its low mortality rate or no, it is definitely more infectious than previous incidences of other coronavirus outbreaks and ebola in 2014 (which was less infectious, higher mortality). Given also that its incubation period can be up to a fortnight before symptoms present, it can be quite difficult to discern whether or not you have caught the disease until it's too late-and then you too will have spread it further.

But to be honest, we are MOST LIKELY FINE. It does appear that the situation is spiralling a little out of control in China-my parents are Chinese living the UK but we are getting messages from friends and family describing how no one is basically leaving the apartments now and all the supermarkets are completely empty as prices start rising. They have shut down multiple cities almost entirely-in Beijing, all the major attractions like the Forbidden Palace, Temple of Heaven are all closed. Entire transport networks like the bus or tube have been halted. Cases are popping up in every city now-plus deaths not just in Hubei province. Also there is great concern that the actual number of cases could be 2-3 times higher than what China is reporting, given this time last week there were only according to them 300 or so cases and no deaths, and here we are with 56 deaths and 2000 cases. Chinese media are reporting it like they reported SARS back in the day, as if they're going to war with guns and tanks (when they 'defeated' SARS back in 2003 state media reported winning a 'decisive victory' against the SARS. Huzzah indeed.)

We're most likely safe in the UK though. Just to be cautious however I'm carrying around my sunglasses and a gas mask I have from last time I went to China (for the air pollution, not for the disease. Multiple uses I guess!) Given mortality rate is low, even in the very unlikely chance that you did get the disease, you will most likely be fine, given we live in a more advanced nation with fewer people to support.

tl:dr we're probably fine, just be on the lookout.

I thought so too but they wont close flights and Matt Hand-c0ck is in charge. If you've seen the disastrous job hes done with the NHS you'd be worried