Whats your opinion on distance learning? Watch

ThuggerThugger
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 weeks ago
Like where you get a “proper” qualification? Places like Open Uni for example. I am on the hunt for somewhere that offers HND in IT via distance learning then I’ll probably do a top up via RDI, wondering what you make of it all? I could be to old now tbh as Im pushing 30..
PhoenixFortune
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by ThuggerThugger)
Like where you get a “proper” qualification? Places like Open Uni for example. I am on the hunt for somewhere that offers HND in IT via distance learning then I’ll probably do a top up via RDI, wondering what you make of it all? I could be to old now tbh as Im pushing 30..
I think they're a great alternative if you can't attend a physical university for whatever reason (e.g. finances, work or family commitments, illness etc.). They do require a lot of self-motivation and time discipline though, which isn't for everyone.
londonmyst
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
You're never too old to learn or study.

Accredited distance learning providers with good reputations, high standards of teaching and flexible payment arrangements- are very useful to people with heavy commitments/health issues that prevent them from physically attending an educational establishment.
I wouldn't recommend a distance learning MBA though.

Distance learning is most suitable for people who prefer to study independently, are organised and able to stick to a strict timetable without getting distracted.
The social element of a physical full time uni course is generally absent in distance learning.
Although some course providers do have chat features and private social media groups.
ThuggerThugger
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 weeks ago
(Original post by londonmyst)
You're never too old to learn or study.

Accredited distance learning providers with good reputations, high standards of teaching and flexible payment arrangements.
struggling to find such a place.. open uni is expensive as hell.
londonmyst
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by ThuggerThugger)
struggling to find such a place.. open uni is expensive as hell.
I know, it's the same with quite a few american and english distance learning providers.
I wouldn't have been able to fund courses without employer sponsorship.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

People at uni: do initiations (like heavy drinking) put you off joining sports societies?

Yes (163)
66.53%
No (82)
33.47%

Watched Threads