ChloeChan124
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 weeks ago
Do you get penalised if you write more than the word count? I’ve just received my essay grade and feedback and my tutor stated that I have gone over the word count by 10% but the only way that could happen is if they have included the reference list. The word limit was 2500 and without my reference list I have written 2657 and with the reference list it is 2833. We are allowed to write 10% under and over the 2500. I’m just wondering if it’s possible that I’ve lost marks because of this.
gjd800
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Yes.

In my institution we are especially harsh. You have a 49 word buffer. As soon as you hit a round 50 over, you begin to lose marks.

We include footnotes and reference list in the wordcount, too. Other depts do or don't, it depends.

All of this should have been on your assessment sheet or in the handbook.
Last edited by gjd800; 3 weeks ago
ChloeChan124
Rep:
?
(Original post by gjd800)
Yes.

In my institution we are especially harsh. You have a 49 word buffer. As soon as you hit a round 50 over, you begin to lose marks.

We include footnotes and reference list in the wordcount, too. Other depts do or don't, it depends.

All of this should have been on your assessment sheet or in the handbook
He’s not separated my reference list from the actual essay. I wrote a word count under the essay too stating how many works are in the main body of the essay. I don’t want to lose marks for going over the word count when I haven’t
gjd800
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by ChloeChan124)
He’s not separated my reference list from the actual essay. I wrote a word count under the essay too stating how many works are in the main body of the essay. I don’t want to lose marks for going over the word count when I haven’t
Doesn't matter. They might include the ref list like we do. We'd also include the words used to say 'word count:'

Specific rules should be in the handbook
ChloeChan124
Rep:
?
(Original post by gjd800)
Doesn't matter. They might include the ref list like we do. We'd also include the words used to say 'word count:'

Specific rules should be in the handbook
They don’t include the reference list at my institution. I can’t find anything that states what happens if you go I’ve the word count
gjd800
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
They don’t include the reference list at my institution. I can’t find anything that states what happens if you go I’ve the word count
Then email the relevant marker and ask them to clarify.
Angela1001
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
At my uni if you go over or under the 10% you get penalised. "You are required to enter the word count of your work here. Word counts are set for a reason. Assignments submitted below the word limit are unlikely to contain the academic breadth and depth required. Those submitted over the word limit indicate an absence of important editing and synthesising skills. For that reason, penalties apply if word limits are not adhered to. The word count DOES NOT include the bibliography or citations/references in the text (Harvard Style referencing) or in footnotes or endnotes (Chicago Style referencing). ANY OTHER INFORMATION INCLUDED IN A FOOTNOTE OR ENDNOTE OTHER THAN A REFERENCE OR CITATION WILL BE INCLUDED IN THE WORD COUNT."
ChloeChan124
Rep:
?
(Original post by Angela1001)
At my uni if you go over or under the 10% you get penalised. "You are required to enter the word count of your work here. Word counts are set for a reason. Assignments submitted below the word limit are unlikely to contain the academic breadth and depth required. Those submitted over the word limit indicate an absence of important editing and synthesising skills. For that reason, penalties apply if word limits are not adhered to. The word count DOES NOT include the bibliography or citations/references in the text (Harvard Style referencing) or in footnotes or endnotes (Chicago Style referencing). ANY OTHER INFORMATION INCLUDED IN A FOOTNOTE OR ENDNOTE OTHER THAN A REFERENCE OR CITATION WILL BE INCLUDED IN THE WORD COUNT."
Without the reference list my word count is 2657, with it is 2833. It’s been marked on turn it in and turn it is showing that it’s 2833 cause it’s counted my reference list too. I think that is what the tutor has looked at. The essay work limit is 2500 but we’re allowed to go 10% under and over that
ChloeChan124
Rep:
?
Without the reference list my word count is 2657, with it is 2833. It’s been marked on turn it in and turn it is showing that it’s 2833 cause it’s counted my reference list too. I think that is what the tutor has looked at. The essay work limit is 2500 but we’re allowed to go 10% under and over that
We use Harvard
bones-mccoy
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Depends on the uni and their regulations, my lecturers always go on about not going over the word count but I did for my last assignment and didn't get penalised for it. References aren't included in the word count at my uni but Turnitin tend to include them in the similarity scores.

If you've worked out that you're not 10% over the word limit without the reference list, and references aren't included in the word count, then you should speak to the module leader.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Bournemouth University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 19 Feb '20
  • Buckinghamshire New University
    Postgraduate and professional courses Postgraduate
    Wed, 19 Feb '20
  • University of Warwick
    Warwick Business School Postgraduate
    Thu, 20 Feb '20

People at uni: do initiations (like heavy drinking) put you off joining sports societies?

Yes (172)
66.93%
No (85)
33.07%

Watched Threads