Are you Chinese? How are you feeling? Watch

Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 3 weeks ago
I am just wondering if you're feeling people are looking at you differently, keeping a distance from you or if there's no change since the virus broke out. Are you feeling self-conscious about your Chinese looks, or completely ok? This is aimed at people in the UK.
Anonymous #1
Like are you nervous about coughing in public?
Anonymous #2
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
I am just wondering if you're feeling people are looking at you differently, keeping a distance from you or if there's no change since the virus broke out. Are you feeling self-conscious about your Chinese looks, or completely ok? This is aimed at people in the UK.
Feel terrible for doing it, not Chinese but have recently actively avoided groups of Chinese tourists around the city and on transport or the thought of the disease does creep into my mind...

I believe some are not going back for the Lunar New Year.
Anonymous #1
Feel terrible for doing it, not Chinese but have recently actively avoided groups of Chinese tourists around the city and on transport or the thought of the disease does creep into my mind...

I believe some are not going back for the Lunar New Year.
I feel hyper aware of anyone Chinese and don't want to walk or stand too close. But I feel like they must feel really self-conscious of it right now and I feel bad for them.

I don't blame them for not going back.
wasted100
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
It’s just sad imagine how they feel when people avoid them just because their chinese
mpaprika
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
no I don't care. If a disease is being spread quickly then anyone can be carrying it. Many non Chinese people travel to and from China
black tea
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Guys, it's just a virus...
Anonymous #3
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by black tea)
Guys, it's just a virus...
So is Ebola, SARS, HIV, Small pox. Your point?
black tea
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
The coronavirus is no worse than the flu.
black tea
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
The coronavirus is no worse than the flu. It is not reasonable to compare it to those conditions.
Anonymous #3
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by black tea)
The coronavirus is no worse than the flu. It is not reasonable to compare it to those conditions.
Then you should have said "It's just another flu", which that in itself is too early to decide, already killed several people over a very short period
Anonymous #4
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by mpaprika)
no I don't care. If a disease is being spread quickly then anyone can be carrying it. Many non Chinese people travel to and from China
Exactly. My cousin made a comment earlier about how he’s suddenly noticed how many Chinese people there are in our city when it’s because we have a huge university, but anyway their comment just upset me because they were being prejudiced towards then when the market started the disease.
black tea
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Then you should have said "It's just another flu",
I actually did, it just didn't post for some reason and I cba going back to change it.
minichef30
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Yeah I was just telling my friends, that this is the beginning of an upcoming wave of stigma against Chinese people :/ like there's already loads of memes and jokes being made on socials and my university anon crushes FB page has load of comments asking why the university isnt doing anything given that practically half the uni is Chinese....
Anonymous #1
Exactly. My cousin made a comment earlier about how he’s suddenly noticed how many Chinese people there are in our city when it’s because we have a huge university, but anyway their comment just upset me because they were being prejudiced towards then when the market started the disease.
Don't take it out on your cousin, nobody is being prejudiced. He's can't help it, it's a response to danger.
Anonymous #4
Report 3 weeks ago
Don't take it out on your cousin, nobody is being prejudiced. He's can't help it, it's a response to danger.
Hardly danger is it. He shouldn’t discriminate against an entire race and it’s wrong to generalise that all Chinese people are responsible.
entertainmyfaith
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
i'm half chinese but i pass as white so it's been ok for me thankfully. plenty of people know i'm chinese but they haven't changed their behaviour towards me.
SkyRunner61
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
I’m ethnically Chinese and no one I know has acted any differently towards me for it. If strangers don’t want to stand near me, so be it. I don’t care about their thoughts about me, and if it means I have more personal space, I’m happier for it
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Has your university offer been reduced?

Yes (51)
30.54%
No (87)
52.1%
Don't know (29)
17.37%

Watched Threads