ARMYYYY
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
I'm taking maths, further maths and physics for A-Levels but everyone has been telling me that further maths is very diffcult.
I went to an interview the other day and they also said that physics A-Levels was stastically the hardest.
I'm panicking, any help here?
Gent2324
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
not a question anyone can answer as it completely depends on your skillset and how you perform in maths and physics. only thing you can do is try and self teach some of it to see how you like it.
ARMYYYY
Rep:
?
(Original post by Gent2324)
not a question anyone can answer as it completely depends on your skillset and how you perform in maths and physics. only thing you can do is try and self teach some of it to see how you like it.
thanks for the advice
i'll try and do that
i'm not sure if it will work though
I mean i haven't even done my GCSEs yet and i'm already worried about sixth form
Gent2324
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by Assassin1)
thanks for the advice
i'll try and do that
i'm not sure if it will work though
I mean i haven't even done my GCSEs yet and i'm already worried about sixth form
if it helps ill try and give you my perspective but dont just take my word for it, i do maths further maths and physics a level and im in year 13.
90% of what i do is maths basically, so if you dont love maths then dont do this combo. maths should by far be your favourite gcse right now.
the further maths year 1 content is relatively easy, the difficulty cranks up massively in year 2 when its too late to drop it. if youre doing edexcel, have a look at chapter 6 in the core pure 1 book. that topic imo is the easiest of the further maths spec for year 1 and it doesnt require any previous knowledge from other parts of the book, so you could have a look at that and see how you like it and if its hard. its alright to struggle, but if its to the point where you are having to spend hours just to understand the basic concepts then you wont have a good time with the rest of the spec.

as a side note, if you do decide to do further maths, maths will become easy, i barely even have to revise for maths right now because further maths covers most of it anyway.
Meowgi256
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Yes. Yes yes yes. I got a 9 in gcse, well within A* a level maths, really struggling with FM and dont know how I'll meet my offers. That said, if you do physics alongside it you're at an advantage. I don't.
stressed0ut
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Further maths is mega hard, hate to break it to you, needs a lot of work. But pairing with maths and physics is a good combo.....

Don’t pay attention to the stats - do the subjects that you want to do the most, you’re gonna be spending a whole lot of time doing them at sixth form

From my experience (maths fm chem and physics) I love my subjects and I wouldn’t think of doing anything else but they’re very stressful and very time consuming so if you love maths and physics at GCSE, and you think you should get 9s in them (especially maths) go for that combo for 6th form!
Leviathan1611
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
i see you're ARMY😉

but to answer your question, if you have good time management, are good at studying and being focused, have a decent teacher, Further Maths and Physics won't be difficult. challenging as all subjects should be but you won't struggle. just learn and understand the content and do practice papers and you'll do fine.👍
ThiagoBrigido
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
I'm taking maths, further maths and physics for A-Levels but everyone has been telling me that further maths is very diffcult.
I went to an interview the other day and they also said that physics A-Levels was stastically the hardest.
I'm panicking, any help here?
I'm on the same boat! Just delight to have FM2 and physics on the same day. I can't wait! Have you already cover all the syllabus?
ARMYYYY
Rep:
?
(Original post by Gent2324)
if it helps ill try and give you my perspective but dont just take my word for it, i do maths further maths and physics a level and im in year 13.
90% of what i do is maths basically, so if you dont love maths then dont do this combo. maths should by far be your favourite gcse right now.
the further maths year 1 content is relatively easy, the difficulty cranks up massively in year 2 when its too late to drop it. if youre doing edexcel, have a look at chapter 6 in the core pure 1 book. that topic imo is the easiest of the further maths spec for year 1 and it doesnt require any previous knowledge from other parts of the book, so you could have a look at that and see how you like it and if its hard. its alright to struggle, but if its to the point where you are having to spend hours just to understand the basic concepts then you wont have a good time with the rest of the spec.

as a side note, if you do decide to do further maths, maths will become easy, i barely even have to revise for maths right now because further maths covers most of it anyway.
thank you for this I really appreciate it
I get what you mean, I don't revise for maths either because it just clicks for me which is the only reason why I thought it would be good to take further maths and maths together.
ARMYYYY
Rep:
?
(Original post by stressed0ut)
Further maths is mega hard, hate to break it to you, needs a lot of work. But pairing with maths and physics is a good combo.....

Don’t pay attention to the stats - do the subjects that you want to do the most, you’re gonna be spending a whole lot of time doing them at sixth form

From my experience (maths fm chem and physics) I love my subjects and I wouldn’t think of doing anything else but they’re very stressful and very time consuming so if you love maths and physics at GCSE, and you think you should get 9s in them (especially maths) go for that combo for 6th form!
thank you
ARMYYYY
Rep:
?
(Original post by Leviathan1611)
i see you're ARMY😉

but to answer your question, if you have good time management, are good at studying and being focused, have a decent teacher, Further Maths and Physics won't be difficult. challenging as all subjects should be but you won't struggle. just learn and understand the content and do practice papers and you'll do fine.👍
I cannot wait for the BTS comeback honestly. Are you an ARMY too?
Thanks for the advice
Leviathan1611
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
I cannot wait for the BTS comeback honestly. Are you an ARMY too?
Thanks for the advice
no I'm a ONCE, I've just seen it on twitter and all that's how I noticed.

you're welcome, I think if I followed my own advice I would have gotten an A* in my exams 😁😁😁
someenglishguy
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
If you are able to put effort in to try and understand the mathematical concepts at hand, then it is manageable.

I personally find it slots in well with the normal Mathematics A level in a way that makes it somewhat easier; while I technically do four A-levels as two of them (Mathematics and Further Mathematics) slot together well it does not always feel like that.

It's also looked at fairly highly by a lot of prestigious universities, even if you aren't applying for Mathematics - it gives you an edge in applying for degrees such as Physics, Economics, Chemistry, Engineering etc.

My sixth form is very understanding that it wasn't for everyone; I think most places that offer it as a fourth A level expect some people to drop down to three A levels either during the first year or after the AS.
lloydmynumber
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by armyyyy)
i cannot wait for the bts comeback honestly. Are you an army too?
Thanks for the advice
sameeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Sheffield Hallam University
    Get into Teaching in South Yorkshire Undergraduate
    Wed, 26 Feb '20
  • The University of Law
    Solicitor Series: Assessing Trainee Skills – LPC, GDL and MA Law - London Moorgate campus Postgraduate
    Wed, 26 Feb '20
  • University of East Anglia
    PGCE Open day Postgraduate
    Sat, 29 Feb '20

People at uni: do initiations (like heavy drinking) put you off joining sports societies?

Yes (532)
66.67%
No (266)
33.33%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed